PDA

View Full Version : don't lie when you don't need to...

Shahar26
09-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I think this story is a perfect example to why you shouldn't lie when you don't need to.

This is a short version of it....

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has today admitted to lying about the circumstances of his withdrawal from the Republic of Ireland squad.

Ireland pulled out of the squad for the Republic's match against the Czech Republic in midweek, shortly after Saturday's draw in Slovakia.

'When the game ended our manager Stephen Staunton took me outside the dressing room into the corridor, along with the Ireland team doctor.

'He told me that they had taken a call from my girlfriend, Jessica, and she said my grandmother had died.

'When I finished the call I told the manager and doctor that my grandmother had died and because we were very close I wanted to go home immediately.

'The manager said that was no problem and he would get the FAI to sort it out.

'Early on Monday morning I got a phone call from Stephen Staunton telling me that the FAI had discovered my grandmother in Cork was not dead.

'He wanted to know what was going on and I told him that there had been a mistake and it had been my father's mother. I told him her name was Brenda Kitchener, that she lived in London.

'On Thursday, I got a phone call from Manchester City stating that the FAI had discovered that my grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, was also alive.

'I decided at that stage that I must tell truth and admit I had told lies.

My favorite quote is 'I realise now that it was a massive mistake on my part to tell the FAI and Manchester City that my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it.'

Full story http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=462964&cc=5901

neverstopplaying
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
There are really very few occasions in life, if at all, when lying is a preferred option. Read "The Four Agreements".

lethalfang
09-14-2007, 06:49 PM
If you want people to believe your lies, lie very occasionally. When you tell the truth almost all the time, people think you're telling the truth when you lie.

Feņa14
09-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I heard on Sky Sports news that his partner had a miscarriage so that's why he wanted to return home, to be with her.

I can totally understand that he wanted to come home and the Republic of Ireland would of understood too, i'm guessing that the couple might of wanted to of kept it quiet for personal reasons until it had sunk in but to lie about your Nan dying is shocking.

J-man
09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I think this story is a perfect example to why you shouldn't lie when you don't need to.

This is a short version of it....

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has today admitted to lying about the circumstances of his withdrawal from the Republic of Ireland squad.

Ireland pulled out of the squad for the Republic's match against the Czech Republic in midweek, shortly after Saturday's draw in Slovakia.

'When the game ended our manager Stephen Staunton took me outside the dressing room into the corridor, along with the Ireland team doctor.

'He told me that they had taken a call from my girlfriend, Jessica, and she said my grandmother had died.

'When I finished the call I told the manager and doctor that my grandmother had died and because we were very close I wanted to go home immediately.

'The manager said that was no problem and he would get the FAI to sort it out.

'Early on Monday morning I got a phone call from Stephen Staunton telling me that the FAI had discovered my grandmother in Cork was not dead.

'He wanted to know what was going on and I told him that there had been a mistake and it had been my father's mother. I told him her name was Brenda Kitchener, that she lived in London.

'On Thursday, I got a phone call from Manchester City stating that the FAI had discovered that my grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, was also alive.

'I decided at that stage that I must tell truth and admit I had told lies.

My favorite quote is 'I realise now that it was a massive mistake on my part to tell the FAI and Manchester City that my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it.'

Full story http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=462964&cc=5901Man oh man not a good thing to lie about your grandmothers and the fact that it's just stupid

Shahar26
09-15-2007, 05:06 AM
I wouldn't wanna be in the next family dinner :p

armand
09-15-2007, 08:26 AM
seems Stephen Ireland never learned the lesson of the Boy Who Cried Wolf: and that is to never tell the same lie twice.