PDA

View Full Version : Favourite tennis videogame

ShiroRm
09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
It's not a very serious topic, I know. Many of us don't have so much time to play videogames (isn't it? ;-)).
But I've always loved tennis, even in its "virtual renditions", so that I collected or simply tried many tennis games.
My favourite one is "Final Match Tennis" for Nec Pc Engine (Nec Turbo Grafx in Usa). It was sold in Japan by Human Creative back in 1991.
Despite its cartoonesque look, with superdeformed characters (that isn't necessarly a bad thing), it had an enourmus depth, so that, after a bit of practice, it allowed you to place the ball where you wanted and even to have the sensation to control the racquet's head position, for example, when your character was trying to reach the ball by stretching (producing a defensive shot with different angle and depth, according to the D-Pad/racquet head position).
I know that 3D games seem aesthetically more realistic, but the players seem just to do some skating instead of running and it's almost impossible to send the ball out in many of these games.
Besides: F.M.T. allowed you to play with 3 other friends; and was produced in two formats (card and cd), using, respectively, male and female characters, reproducing many professional players of the time (or older) and their game styles convincingly (for example: Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Chang, but even McEnroe, Connors, Borg, Rosewall, Laver, Vilas; Graf, Seles, Navratilova, Sanchez, Fernandez...).
And last but not least, the game had a cheat code that allowed you to choose from 5 difficulty levels and the computer's reactions were outstanding on higher levels: it seemed to look at a real match among professional players (drop shots, lobs, stop volleys, break-backs, passing shots down the line and cross court...)
And you? Do you have a favourite game? And why do you prefer it?

quest01
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Virtua Tennis 3 is my favorite tennis videogame so far.

maneater
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Omg I'm addicted to Virtua Tennis 3 on the playstation 3!
The only thing is its got so many pointless players...and it misses out Safin...and it should be made to play with others online! How the hell do u beat King and Duke tho!!?

ShiroRm
09-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Why don't you try Final Match tennis?
You can find the rom on the web or emule and there are several good Pc engine/Turbo Grafx emulators, like Magicengine (the best), Tgemu...
Then you'll need a good joypad and you'll have a lot of fun.
In order to have an idea about the shots you can produce, you can set a match between computer guided opponents