PDA

View Full Version : A tough question to all familiar with both the UK & US tennis scene

danielpreston
09-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Can you help?

I was nationally ranked 40 in the UK Juniors (Under 18).

What would be the equivalent national junior ranking in the US?

Any guesses?

danielpreston
09-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Can you help?

I was nationally ranked 40 in the UK Juniors (Under 18)

What would be the equivalent national junior ranking in the US?

Any guesses?

Please read 18 above

AndrewD
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Daniel,

Rough guess is that the United States has, at least, 3-4 times the competition of the UK (same situation here in Australia). So, to err on the side of caution, I'd look at your ranking as somewhere around 150 in the States.

Once again, this is something we have to do for the kids here in Australia (in order to find their relative position amongst their US counterparts). It's also helpful to know who finished above you and what your results were like against them.

danielpreston
09-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Daniel,

Rough guess is that the United States has, at least, 3-4 times the competition of the UK (same situation here in Australia). So, to err on the side of caution, I'd look at your ranking as somewhere around 150 in the States.

Once again, this is something we have to do for the kids here in Australia (in order to find their relative position amongst their US counterparts). It's also helpful to know who finished above you and what your results were like against them.

But they also have 5 times the population of the UK ... is that not a factor to take into consideration too?

Maybe there are vast tracks of the US that don't play tennis.

Anyone else out there got an informed opinion?:-)

nickb
09-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I would say around 150-200 as well..

danielpreston
09-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Your responses has been both encouraging and surprising!

I've had 3 responses: a UK rank 40 would be equivalent US rank 100, 150, 150-200, are the 3 guesses.

Here's my reasoning ... I don't the US tennis scene at all.

The US has 5 times the population of the UK. Also tennis is a more popular sport in the US .... guess facter - x2 more players.

This would lead me to guess that a UK rank 40 would be equivalent to 40 x5 x2 = rank 400 in the US

This is a mathematical guess though.

Someone said that the UK junior tennis scene has a more competitive edge than the US.

Any more opinions out there?

CollegeBound
09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Daniel,

My son was ranked 25-40 in Australia for the 18's a couple of years ago and was able to gain a scholarship to an American Division I school (not to embarass him I wont mention which). After having seen the standard of the American players, my son believes that his Australian ranking of 25-40 would be closer to an American ranking of 60-80. But he did think that the main reason for that is the greater experience the American players had, not a higher degree of talent or technical proficiency. We both feel that apart from the odd exception (a kid who hasn't played a lot of events so has a deceptively low ranking) things evened out very much once you got beyond the top 60-70 players. The kids ranked below that tended to be more experienced but not any better than people he played out here.

Going on all that I would think that if you are ranked 40 in the UK you would be capable of playing at an equivalent standard to an American player ranked, depending on the strength of their year and your year, ranked 100 to150. Dont assume that because they have more players and more people that the standard is always a lot higher. It might be for the very top players and they might have depth down to the top 50-60 but after that they taper off, same as other countries. Its just that other countries taper off quicker.

I saw your ranking on the LTA website and its not still 40 is it?

danielpreston
09-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Daniel,

My son was ranked 25-40 in Australia for the 18's a couple of years ago and was able to gain a scholarship to an American Division I school (not to embarass him I wont mention which). After having seen the standard of the American players, my son believes that his Australian ranking of 25-40 would be closer to an American ranking of 60-80. But he did think that the main reason for that is the greater experience the American players had, not a higher degree of talent or technical proficiency. We both feel that apart from the odd exception (a kid who hasn't played a lot of events so has a deceptively low ranking) things evened out very much once you got beyond the top 60-70 players. The kids ranked below that tended to be more experienced but not any better than people he played out here.

Going on all that I would think that if you are ranked 40 in the UK you would be capable of playing at an equivalent standard to an American player ranked, depending on the strength of their year and your year, ranked 100 to150. Dont assume that because they have more players and more people that the standard is always a lot higher. It might be for the very top players and they might have depth down to the top 50-60 but after that they taper off, same as other countries. Its just that other countries taper off quicker.

I saw your ranking on the LTA website and its not still 40 is it?

Thanks for your insights ... very helpful.

No I'm not ranked 40 now in the juniors. I've been injured for most of the year allowing only limited play, plus also I'm playing only adult tournies now.

Weird though .... I'm a much better player now than when I was ranked 40! Haven't looked at my ranking for a while ... probably embarassing! It'll get worse as well.

I have explained all this to US coaches who care to look at my web site below

equinox
09-17-2007, 03:08 AM
A young guy i played a competitive but losing local open match to last year was ranked about 70-80 in 18's of my nation. He's played pennant grade 1,2. Early this year, He traveled to europe and played qualifying for futures, he couldn't make it past the second rds. He's ended up at umsl a division 2 college.

http://www.umsl-sports.com/sports/mten/mten_index.htm

CollegeBound
09-17-2007, 04:02 AM
A young guy i played a competitive but losing local open match to last year was ranked about 70-80 in 18's of my nation. He's played pennant grade 1,2. Early this year, He traveled to europe and played qualifying for futures, he couldn't make it past the second rds. He's ended up at umsl a division 2 college.

http://www.umsl-sports.com/sports/mten/mten_index.htm

That's an odd choice for someone of his junior standing. Two boys my son knows have gained scholarships in the US, one to Penn State and the other to the University of Texas Pan America (UTPA) - I think I got that last name right. The first boy had an Australian open division ranking of 75, (is an 88 birth year so out of juniors but was ranked around 20) while the other had an open division ranking of 181 (junior around 64).

I don't know how the UK matches directly to Australia but even if we had twice the depth, a boy ranked top 40 in the UK 18's shouldn't be so dramatically different to a boy ranked 60-80 in Australia.

equinox
09-18-2007, 03:25 AM
His open AR probably topped out at about 300-400. I don't know about odd choice, maybe that college has better academics.

Btw TA has tweaked the ranking pts system to stop juniors doubling up pts.