PDA

View Full Version : Edberg's Pro Staff

andreh
03-18-2004, 01:17 AM
Anyone know what customizations Edberg made to his PS, if any?

AAAA
03-18-2004, 03:13 AM
I recently read Wilson make two versions of the Pro Staff Tour 95. A retail version for the public and a Tour version only distributed to pro players. So did Edberg use a genuine retail PS or a pro player only tour version?

Andreh, For visible signs of customization you can do a search for Edberg images in Google and study the pictures.

andreh
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks AAAA. There are no visible signs of modification on his racquets, already checked. That doesn't mean that there is none, though. It could be factory modifications, as you suggested, or something could be done to the handle to make it more head light, perhaps.

kreative
03-18-2004, 03:23 PM
if i can recall, no bumper guard, ps 6.0 85"

brian.sat
03-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Yes, no bumper PS 6.0 85 painted like PS 6.1. I got one here only ever sold in Japan.

kreative
03-24-2004, 10:40 AM
can you post pics brian?

brian.sat
03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't have the camera here with me yet. Sorry!

Anonymous
03-24-2004, 06:17 PM
I keep hearing about a "modified" pro-spec version of the St. Vincent with something like a thicker cross-section (not width) that Edberg and Sampras preferred, among others. I don't see any difference though??

andreh
03-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, no bumper PS 6.0 85 painted like PS 6.1. I got one here only ever sold in Japan.

Just a while ago someone sold one of Edbergs sticks with the 6.1 paint-job on ****. It had belonged to Edberg but he never played with it. It went for USD 500.

Anonymous
03-25-2004, 02:26 PM
The racket didn't trade on ****. The guy had offers north of $600.00..

kreative
03-25-2004, 03:00 PM
sheesh, i wonder how he got his hands on one.

Anonymous
03-25-2004, 03:46 PM
He said that Wilson periodically would sell some left-over equipment within the building they used in Illinois, and this person happened to work in the same building. Here's the pictures from the auction:

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg1.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg2.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg3.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg4.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg5.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/mmmmmilk/edberg6.jpg

Bhagi Katbamna
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Anyone else find it ironic that Wilson painted the PS 85 to look like a PS Classic and now paints PS Classic to look like other rackets?

jayserinos99
03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
^^ any way wilson can open these auctions to the public?

racketcollector
04-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Hey guys--I'm NOT the guy that tried to sell the racket on ****, but I do own 2 of Stefan's actual frames. I used to string on the tour, and knew Stefan pretty well.

Anyway, yes, he used the original Pro Staff (85 sq in) with a grommet strip (no bumper guard); early 80's model, painted up like the Pro Staff Classic (in order to market this new version for Wilson, circa April-March 1991). He used them for a little over a year, then switched back to the original cosmetics (still the same racket though) right before winning his 2nd US Open in '92. He also switched from Bow Brand gut to VS All Season around this time. His grips were slightly modified to be a large 4 1/2 (or a small 4 5/8?) according to his coach, Tony Piccard. None of his frames that I strung had lead tape. They were all pretty evenly matched as far as weight and balance. Not exactly identical (like Lendl, Becker or Sampras) but close enough for him. I believe they were just hand selected for him at the factory. Which factory (St Vincent, etc)? I have no clue. Once they started making the frame with a bumper guard (ie, Pete's model), he had to hoard all he could find, with the help of Wilson reps, etc. I don't think he was ever really concerned about running out! I even remember hearing a rumor that this bumperguard-less frame was used nationwide for the USRSA certification tests, and Wilson ended up asking for all of them back to give to Stefan! True? Who knows. Maybe Don Hightower can answer that one.

I can't imagine selling one of these frames, or any other in my collection, but you never know. I guess if offers start pouring in, I'll have to reconsider! If I ever decide to sell, I'll post notification on this board. Hope this helps. Peace!

kreative
04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
racketcollector, have any pics of the frames you have? so lucky you are! nice info as well.

andreh
04-19-2004, 01:04 AM
racketcollector,

Actually, Edberg still played with the Classic cosmetics at the US Open 1992. I have the final w. Sampras on DVD. I think he didin't switch until mid 1993. I aslo remeber an interview with Stefan about the switch back. He said the old frames were stiffer and that's why he wanted to switch back, which would suggest that the ones with the Classic cosmetics are not exactly the same frame as the Orignal cosmetics.

racketcollector
06-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone--
I've put the Edberg frame up for grabs on ****. If interested, please check out the link below. Thanks.

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211781778&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Alex
06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
racketcollector,

What kind of string, gauge and tension used by Edberg??

Thanks.

PrestigeClassic
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Is it an early St. Vincent (or even River Grove) model? Do you know if Wilson stripped off the original paint before spraying the Classic cosmetic? Have you hit with it to see how it plays?

Type40
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm gatting page not found errors when tryin to see those pics of edberg's racquet. Anyone else able to see them?

tennisnoob
06-23-2005, 05:56 PM
just go to e b a y . c o m and type in the item number: 5211781778

racketcollector
08-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry for the delay in answering the above questions. I'm not really sure if its a Rivergrove model or St Vincent. I also cant tell if the paint was stripped off, but it looks REALLY clean and professional. back when I received the frame, Stefan was still using Bow Brand natural gut at around 25 kilos (depending on surface, weather, etc). He later switched to Babolat VS Tour. I just put the frame back on ****, so just do a search for Edberg Prostaff or use item # 5229205605. Any questions or requests for pics, just email me at racketcollector@aol.com Cheers.

joe sch
08-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Sorry for the delay in answering the above questions. I'm not really sure if its a Rivergrove model or St Vincent. I also cant tell if the paint was stripped off, but it looks REALLY clean and professional. back when I received the frame, Stefan was still using Bow Brand natural gut at around 25 kilos (depending on surface, weather, etc). He later switched to Babolat VS Tour. I just put the frame back on ****, so just do a search for Edberg Prostaff or use item # 5229205605. Any questions or requests for pics, just email me at racketcollector@aol.com Cheers.
I can vouch for racketcolletor as I have had several transactions with him and what he claims is true. He also listed a Bosworth customized Lendl racket that was specially for Wimbledon. Great finds for famous player racket collectors !

PrestigeClassic
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM

My guess is that it's a St. Vincent since it has St. Vincent/Taiwan throat grommets and those grommets are too small and short for the River Grove. Early St. Vincent frames had throat grommets that from the outside looked the same as River Grove throat grommets. Might just be a later St. Vincent with a special grommet strip. Pretty cool stick. I'm surprised that new 6.0 85's supposedly are still flying from TW, yet such a rare, collectable, and playable (St. Vincent) frame is not selling. The grip size is also awesome, right between a 4 and a 5, something that coincidentally was favored among St. Vincent players.

blakmunky
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
does any1 know where to get the grommets for the pro staff 6.0 st. vincent model? is it the same as the 85 original sold on TW?

Marius_Hancu
07-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Hey guys--I'm NOT the guy that tried to sell the racket on ****, but I do own 2 of Stefan's actual frames. I used to string on the tour, and knew Stefan pretty well.

Anyway, yes, he used the original Pro Staff (85 sq in) with a grommet strip (no bumper guard); early 80's model, painted up like the Pro Staff Classic (in order to market this new version for Wilson, circa April-March 1991). He used them for a little over a year, then switched back to the original cosmetics (still the same racket though) right before winning his 2nd US Open in '92. He also switched from Bow Brand gut to VS All Season around this time. His grips were slightly modified to be a large 4 1/2 (or a small 4 5/8?) according to his coach, Tony Piccard.

None of his frames that I strung had lead tape. They were all pretty evenly matched as far as weight and balance.

Very interesting, but how could they be even balanced with no lead? Extra weight inserted in the frame?

PrestigeClassic
07-08-2006, 02:43 AM
Very interesting, but how could they be even balanced with no lead? Extra weight inserted in the frame?

I think he meant the frames were pretty evenly matched, not evenly balanced.

Marius_Hancu
07-08-2006, 02:48 AM
I think he meant the frames were pretty evenly matched, not evenly balanced.

OK, that might be the case.

PrestigeClassic
07-08-2006, 02:59 AM
OK, that might be the case.

Yes, that is the case.

wlinchon
08-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Hello,

Pardon me if this should be posted in the Racquets thread area.

I recently have a chance to get the Pro Staff 85 with the Pro Staff Classic graphics, condition 8. But I wonder if its worth it to get it. Any thoughts? And if purchased, would you keep it as a collectable or use it for what it was intended for, to play?

Oh, to add to this thread, from what it says on the butt, its Made in Taiwan.

Thanks.

BreakPoint
08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello,

Pardon me if this should be posted in the Racquets thread area.

I recently have a chance to get the Pro Staff 85 with the Pro Staff Classic graphics, condition 8. But I wonder if its worth it to get it. Any thoughts? And if purchased, would you keep it as a collectable or use it for what it was intended for, to play?

Oh, to add to this thread, from what it says on the butt, its Made in Taiwan.

Thanks.

It's definitely worth it to get it as it's extremely rare. These were basically made especially for Edberg to use. I can't think of any other pros that used that paintjob. I definitely wouldn't play with it as it should be worth a lot of $$$$$ in good condition. I would keep it as a collector's item or hang it on the wall. :D

chair ump
08-27-2006, 07:19 AM
How much did his racquet weigh? THX