PDA

View Full Version : What's the most unusual thing in your tennis bag?

Euthanasiast
09-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Would this collective group be surprised to know about a particular thing that you carry in your bag? Who has the most unusual item in their bag that they consider a necessity?

For me it's my small zip lock full of Black Cat firecrackers, and yes, they are a necessity.

The nicest court in my ultra hot and humid part of the world happens to be a public park because the tennis courts have been freshly remodeled and the courts reside within a stone's throw of the Atlantic, where the breeze makes the difference between being able to play and not even being able to leave the house.

More frequently than you might imagine there are large groups of people that gather with their kids to celebrate children's birthdays or any such other activity where there are tons of children, most too young to be legally allowed to wander more than a few feet away from their parents. These picnic areas are about 50 yards from the courts so it generally isn't a problem. But because of the average caliber of modern day parents and their inability (or frankly the desire) to be decent parents and actually watch after their kids results in numerous occasions where platoons of these curtain-climbers make their way into the fenced court area, unobserved by their mothers and fathers.

This isn't a problem in and of itself, and well behaved kids are great for holding balls and retrieving them when they get whacked the wrong way and it is an exercise they seem to enjoy. But many times we have a situation were the kids are incredibly unruly. Countless times I have had them run through during a volley or serve, some climbing on the very net that we are attempting to play over! Worse than all of this, the parents SIMPLY DO NOT CARE. I have asked the kids to get off the net, they don't listen. I've asked them not to travel through the playing area, they don't even acknowledge me. I have spoken to their parents, some (having only just discovered that little scooter junior has been 50 yards from picnic area) will yell for the kids to get back there, and usually if the kids listen, it is only temporary, as they find their way back, and the parents are oblivious. Some parents just reply that it is a public park and I have no right to restrict their kids from this beloved activity. It enrages me to no end.

However, A single firecracker gets everyone's attention. Simply light it, wait for the pop, then look around like you have no idea where it came from. The parents decide that maybe this isn't the best place to allow kids to play and they leave, or at least they wrangle the little booger hookers up and make certain that they don't leave their site again. It works every time.

I hate it that I have to resort to such things, but there really is no other option. You call the police out for that type of thing, you might see an officer about the time Halley's Comet enters our solar system again.

ananda
09-16-2007, 04:09 AM
we do have a big monkey problem at the courts i play at, but luckily they do not come onto the court. they cross over our courts every morning by climbing up the tall perimeter thingie, then travelling around it, and go right between the two courts.

Sixpointone
09-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I have a Wimbledon Net Measure. I am unsure if it is unusual, but I guess at least here in the United States it is uncommon. Other than that my Bag is pretty conventional and boring.

Amone
09-16-2007, 05:31 AM
*shrug* Most unconventional thing in my bag is probably nothing other than my 4GB USB Drive. It's attached to my house keys.

darbybrandon1993
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
i have a lucky aligater (STUFFED) who is named al e. gator. i got it from my uncle.

Banks
09-16-2007, 01:48 PM
scisors. never have a use for them. cause most of the time when i need scisors its to finish off an over grip, and i do that stuff at home instead of at the courts.

volusiano
09-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I started packing in my bag a little portable fold-up 3 legged stool so I have something to sit on during breaks.

surfryder
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
colt 1911 .45 cal handgun...for those really bad arguments about if that last serve was in or not.

Amone
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
colt 1911 .45 cal handgun...for those really bad arguments about if that last serve was in or not.

Win! (10char)

tbini87
09-16-2007, 05:08 PM
bug repellent? im sure others have some too!

iplaybetter
09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
i have some necklaces, and little things like that including a paper clip, but its all fairlynormal

gwrtheyrn
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't really have a tennis bag, just a small backpack that I happen to use for tennis...however, I have a habit of carrying a mousetrap around because 1. mousetraps are fun to play with and 2. they're "theft deterrent" (Not really, but hey, imagine searching through a bag and feeling a mousetrap ^_^)

Loco4Tennis
09-16-2007, 05:47 PM
i carry my first purchased prince racquet for good luck,
i customized it by painting the once black racquet all white, white strings, white grip, and i renamed it NACHONATOR (bold black letters on the side), thought a bout spray painting the strings with my logo, maybe latter.

Swissv2
09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Would this collective group be surprised to know about a particular thing that you carry in your bag? Who has the most unusual item in their bag that they consider a necessity?

For me it's my small zip lock full of Black Cat firecrackers, and yes, they are a necessity.

The nicest court in my ultra hot and humid part of the world happens to be a public park because the tennis courts have been freshly remodeled and the courts reside within a stone's throw of the Atlantic, where the breeze makes the difference between being able to play and not even being able to leave the house.

More frequently than you might imagine there are large groups of people that gather with their kids to celebrate children's birthdays or any such other activity where there are tons of children, most too young to be legally allowed to wander more than a few feet away from their parents. These picnic areas are about 50 yards from the courts so it generally isn't a problem. But because of the average caliber of modern day parents and their inability (or frankly the desire) to be decent parents and actually watch after their kids results in numerous occasions where platoons of these curtain-climbers make their way into the fenced court area, unobserved by their mothers and fathers.

This isn't a problem in and of itself, and well behaved kids are great for holding balls and retrieving them when they get whacked the wrong way and it is an exercise they seem to enjoy. But many times we have a situation were the kids are incredibly unruly. Countless times I have had them run through during a volley or serve, some climbing on the very net that we are attempting to play over! Worse than all of this, the parents SIMPLY DO NOT CARE. I have asked the kids to get off the net, they don't listen. I've asked them not to travel through the playing area, they don't even acknowledge me. I have spoken to their parents, some (having only just discovered that little scooter junior has been 50 yards from picnic area) will yell for the kids to get back there, and usually if the kids listen, it is only temporary, as they find their way back, and the parents are oblivious. Some parents just reply that it is a public park and I have no right to restrict their kids from this beloved activity. It enrages me to no end.

However, A single firecracker gets everyone's attention. Simply light it, wait for the pop, then look around like you have no idea where it came from. The parents decide that maybe this isn't the best place to allow kids to play and they leave, or at least they wrangle the little booger hookers up and make certain that they don't leave their site again. It works every time.

I hate it that I have to resort to such things, but there really is no other option. You call the police out for that type of thing, you might see an officer about the time Halley's Comet enters our solar system again.

Or if the firecrackers are illegal, then bring a dumpy racquet, act crazy and yell like John McEnroe while throwing the racquet around and the parents will herd their little ones away because you might injure their "precious".

me is bored
09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
well 1) i have a couple bags of candy haha the peachie-os and sour gummy worms

2) i have my "angry racket" that just happens to old racket i found in the closet that is used to take all my frustation out on so my "playing rackets" dont get damaged. haha

nyc
09-16-2007, 07:02 PM
foldable scissors...to cut out broken strings...

volusiano
09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I have a knee/shin guard in my bag for when I just pratice serves. I wear it on my left leg to protect it from getting banged from my serves. Normally I don't need it, but when I do 150-200 serves in one practice session, all it takes it one 'wrong' serve to make a big lump on the shin. So it's my 'insurance protection'.

LazyAzN
09-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Knee pads. Too lazy to take them out :)

Zets147
09-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Gamma Tacky Towel, I'm probably 1/1000 who carry these around.

me is bored
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Knee pads. Too lazy to take them out :)

hence the name lazy azn

Puredrivetennis
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
cereal, chocolate, tons of old boarding passes.. about 30 good luck charms including my grandfathers watch, souveniers from all over the world (a 5oz bottle of russian moonshine!), and pictures of my girlfriend. she comes with me on trips a lot, so it isnt unusual to find her stuff strewn about, usually clothes.

Loco4Tennis
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
rubber bands are the most unusual thing in my bag right now, but totaly effective for dampening sound

Leoboomanu
09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
CALIPER... In case my grip grew overnight... HEHEHE but I do...

rosenstar
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I keep a rubberband ball in my bag since I use a rubberband as a dampner

tenniskid3119
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
leprauchans green hat.... dont ask where the little feller is....

Vision84
09-18-2007, 08:33 PM
My weirdest is probably a Wilson Stencil. I also have a jump rope but i usually need it for practice.

A.T.S.
09-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't remember why I put it there but I always forget to take it out. It's piece of cardboard with no purpose.

tennismx
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Haha I actually have a little yellow dinosaur eraser I got from my mom's classroom (she is an elementary school teacher). I threw it in my bag one day before a match (over two years ago now that I think about it), and even though I clean out my bag, it's still in the little pocket. Why? I have no earthly idea...

Joseph Bayot
09-20-2007, 08:49 PM
A tiny bottle of Febreze because I store my shoes in there and also after a long day at the courts when I change shirts and my drenched shirt is in there also, it gets a little funky.

Not the good kind like James Brown, but the bad kind.

NadalClone
09-21-2007, 12:00 AM
A wrench to help me adjust the net height when the bolts are rusted together