PDA

View Full Version : How long will a unopen can of balls to loose pressure?

lidation
09-16-2007, 05:39 AM
I bought a case of 24 cans of new Dunlop balls from TT and just had this question. If it takes me 1-2 yrs to open the can of these balls, will the pressure inside the can drops and finally the balls go bad?

Or the pressure inside the can is supposed to be lasting longer than 1-2 yrs?

ollinger
09-16-2007, 06:30 AM
A guy at my club bought a large case of balls once and noticed some deterioration in less than a year.

A.T.S.
09-16-2007, 10:56 AM
No the pressure will not leak out as long as there is pressure outside the can. BTW there is always pressure around us.

volusiano
09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
If you open the cans within a year or two, it should be OK. I've had unopened cans that sat around for 3 or 4 years before I opened them, and they were still OK. But I was probably just lucky that their seal were good enough to last that long. I would try to use them up within a couple of years.

Mick
09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
wow. maybe tennis cans should have expiration dates on them.

laboule
09-16-2007, 03:40 PM
My girlfriends dad gave me a can of 15 year old Penn Tennis balls. Even though they had been sealed for all those years they were unplayable.

volusiano
09-16-2007, 07:07 PM
My girlfriends dad gave me a can of 15 year old Penn Tennis balls. Even though they had been sealed for all those years they were unplayable.

Yeah, the seal leaks eventually, over time. Even if the seal only has normal micro leaks, it adds up over time.

lidation
09-16-2007, 07:54 PM
The pressure we are talking about here is relative to the atmospheric pressure, which is 760 Torr or 14.7 psi at the sea level.
Yeah, the balls has 12 psi pressure (12 psi above 14.7 psi to be scientifically correct). Inside a fresh sealed can should have about 12 psi right from the factory to keep the inside pressure of the ball to be as close to 12 psi as possible. Everything leaks, no matter what.
Now from responses here I have a feeling that the ball can could probably maintain a few psi pressure for a few months and then the ball will slowly leaks air, which is a slow process lasting for months. Thus, I guess a can of balls will probably still be kinda fresh after 1 - 2 yrs of storage but not much after that. Thanks for the input.