PDA

View Full Version : Mirnyi def Roddick

Chadwixx
11-04-2004, 08:21 AM
7-6, 6-2

@wright
11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Hang up the figjams, Roddie, you're done! NOTE: THIS MESSAGE IS A MANDATORY RETIREMENT PLEA FOR A TOP PLAYER WHO HAS LOST TO A LESSER PLAYER.

gts072
11-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Every player has their bad days but Roddick seems to be very shaky ever since his loss to Johasson at the US Open.

Noelle
11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey... you guys are being mean. :) Give him a break, he's been working really hard.

Max G.
11-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Every player has their bad days but Roddick seems to be very shaky ever since his loss to Johasson at the US Open.

Not true. This is his only bad loss post-US-open. Actually, it's only his second loss post-US-open - he played Davis Cup and won both his matches easily, he played in Bangkok and lost in the final to Federer, and now lost this match to Mirnyi. His post-US-open record is now 7-2.

Datacipher
11-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Hang up the figjams, Roddie, you're done! NOTE: THIS MESSAGE IS A MANDATORY RETIREMENT PLEA FOR A TOP PLAYER WHO HAS LOST TO A LESSER PLAYER.

I agree, he might win a few matches but he'll never contend for a GS again. Sad to see a player lose a step and play like this. It's painful for me personally so he owes it to me to quit.

antontd
11-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Nobody mentioned how good Mirni was. Give Andy a break. I think he will win the Masters Cup and end the Federermania ;)

david aames
11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Yep, Mirny played out of his mind and Roddick didn't have a good day with his first serve. It happens.

backhander
11-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Don't forget it was also another blowup for Roddick, another one of him letting his temper flare and arguing/mocking the umpire. Glad he lost after that display!

mrwise
11-04-2004, 11:24 AM
My guess is that Roddick wasn't serving well. That makes it tough for him to produce when all he can do is hit 140mph serves. I agree it is a huge weapon, but what about developing some other shots to make up for that part of your game when it isn't working?

ShooterMcMarco
11-04-2004, 01:44 PM
one loss doesn't mean that his career is over, jeebus cwist. i think losses are greately over analyzed when scrutinizing top players.

AndyC
11-04-2004, 02:54 PM
I have this match.. would there be any interest in people wanting it for download? Or shall we see what else transpires in Paris before I choose a match to release next?

bpovey
11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
His game is lacking variety. Players now realize that they just need to block the ball back in play against his serve. Once in a rally, the better baseliner will win the point. For Andy to elevate his game another level he needs to come in more on his first serve and probably second serve when the return is usually a floater. I hope Brad works him on the volleys and we see this type of play at the AUSOPEN. His volleys are holding him back.

copycat
11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Tommorows match is Safin and Hewitt and ive love to see that match :D

Max G.
11-04-2004, 03:30 PM
I'd definitely be interested in getting that one. Mirnyi is the coolest player on the ATP!

He serves and volleys,
He's from Belarus,
And his name is Max (so he's clearly inherently superior to the rest of the world. :p )

Trey
11-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Awww

Andy has a bad hair day and a bad service day. Can it get any worse? :lol:

louwee
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
I am interested, please upload it AndyC. :)
But if you have to choose only one match in the tournament, Hewitt vs. Safin would be better.

Vlad
11-04-2004, 04:51 PM
AndyC, if there is a way you can maybe record Safin - Hewitt match that would be AWESOME!!!!
thanx

sandiegotennisboy
11-04-2004, 04:52 PM
sux for roddick. he didn't change anything in his game at all to adjust. great thinking out there.

prince
11-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd definitely be interested in getting that one. Mirnyi is the coolest player on the ATP!

He serves and volleys,
He's from Belarus,
And his name is Max (so he's clearly inherently superior to the rest of the world. :p )

and his nickname is the BEAST!

Max G.
11-04-2004, 06:33 PM

He serves and volleys,
He's from Belarus,

YES! : ) GO BEAST!!!

:P

splink779
11-04-2004, 06:40 PM
I'd say lets wait and see if the Hewitt Safin match is good, and if not, do the Roddick Mirnyi

RickN
11-04-2004, 09:39 PM

He serves and volleys,
He's from Belarus,

And he's really good friends w/ Federer!

Rabbit
11-05-2004, 04:57 AM
I didn't think that Roddick acted or played that badly. The match that I watched last night was one in which Mirnyi just plain played better. Mirnyi hit several powerful return winners, which normally he doesn't do and he covered the net like a blanket. I really enjoy watching Mirnyi play serve/volley tennis because when he's on, he is just simply overwhelming. Last night, he just flat-out played better than Roddick both technically and strategically. It was a pleasure to watch a serve/volley player be so dominant.

It's great to see an old school game do it.

pound cat
11-05-2004, 05:21 AM
iI just watched it and I agree with you Rabbit. It was awesome to watch and Amdy had no answers for anything Max did. In fact there has been some really good tennis played at Bercy this week, and Stepanek is just about to beat Youzhny in straight sets.

McEggeman
11-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I am a big Max Fan since he beat Kuerten several years ago in Hamburg and I saw him this week in Paris. It was on Court No. 1 in the basement of the stadium. He played perfect,specially at the net.

By the way the Court No. 1 was build on an ice rig with ice under the court. After watching Max and Black/Ullyett my feet were frozen. This low surface temperature must effect the ball behavior. Is there any rule according to that?

I am a big doubles fan. Is there any possibility to download or to get on DVD some doubles action?

Anonymous
11-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Haha, I can't believe what I'm hearing. He lost to Mirnyi once, in a first set-tiebreaker, so his career is over? Remember, at the Masters, i think Toronto this summer, Fed could only beat Mirnyi 7-6,7-6, so the guys tough to beat. I love how we have all these Fed fans here who say that Roddick is trash and stuff. Do you seriously think he'll never contend again? That's outrageous. He's still great, he'll win at least 5 majors. Stop overanalyzing, and admit Roddick is great, this is 1 loss.

By the way, should Federer quit because he lost to DOMINIK HRBATY at the Cincinnati Masters this summer? Didn't think so.

bobby
11-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Haha, I can't believe what I'm hearing. He lost to Mirnyi once, in a first set-tiebreaker, so his career is over? Remember, at the Masters, i think Toronto this summer, Fed could only beat Mirnyi 7-6,7-6, so the guys tough to beat. I love how we have all these Fed fans here who say that Roddick is trash and stuff. Do you seriously think he'll never contend again? That's outrageous. He's still great, he'll win at least 5 majors. Stop overanalyzing, and admit Roddick is great, this is 1 loss.

By the way, should Federer quit because he lost to DOMINIK HRBATY at the Cincinnati Masters this summer? Didn't think so.

I couldn't agree more. I hope that the person who said that Roddick would never contend for a GS again wasn't really serious. I think it was more just shameless Roddick bashing than a serious evaluation of Roddick's potential. Roddick is great. In fact, I think that he and Federer stood in a class by themselves in '04. Look forward to seeing more great tennis from Roddick in the future.

Max G.
11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
I think it was simple sarcasm...