PDA

View Full Version : High School Tennis Mom

BravoRed691
09-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, i've been voted to be a "Tennis Mom" (it's actually for my sister) for an upcoming match. They gave us a list of recommended foods and drinks to bring. Few of the tennis moms have been going off the list so i was wondering what i should/could bring? Anyone have any ideas? What did your tennis moms bring to your matches? What did you like best? What do you wish they would have brought? I'm looking to become the coolest tennis mom on the team ... lol!

BR

Fee
09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I would avoid Red Bull and stuff like that.

Grapes, strawberries, bananas are obvious. Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze (a little bit fizzy) are good drinks. But I have a complete weakness for COOKIES! Even without milk, I love cookies! Oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, oreos.

Duzza
09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
If it's a hot day, lots of cut up oranges and apples. Maybe even some strawberries. Nothing too sugarry to drink

Verilious
09-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Bagels and Creamcheese.

Bodacious DVT
09-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Bagels and Creamcheese.

i love it when tennis moms bring bagels and creamcheese. get good bagels tho, like from panera or some similar chain.

bagels w/ creamcheese
bananas
gatorade
beef jerky
cheese sticks
watermelon

thats probably my top list

Loco4Tennis
09-17-2007, 03:57 AM
my sister had to take some food in, she asked me to get it for her, i brought donuts being a guy and all, and i got hell for it from parents and alike, but their was not a single donut left at the end of the match, even the girls from the other team had some, go figure, :-)
oh yeah, i think we ended up winning that day, i just know it was the donuts i brought :-)

rum02
09-17-2007, 04:46 AM
was i the only one thinking of other things besides what a tennis mom should bring to the courts after seeing the title: "high school tennis mom." anyway don't bring fatty things like bagels and cream cheese, bring stuff like:
energy drinks
water
watermelon
banana
any other fruit

you can't go wrong with plenty of fluids and simple sugars.

slice bh compliment
09-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Definitely a whole tray of watermelon, maybe some Clif bars, bananas, carrots and a lot to drink. You'd seriously be a hit if you brought some Accelerade or Cytomax.

dave333
09-17-2007, 12:02 PM
The moms usually bring cookies, snacks, gatorade. Delicious.

Geezer Guy
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I was thinking beer and strippers - but maybe that's not such a good idea.

JRProstaf9
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I was thinking beer and strippers - but maybe that's not such a good idea.

what no wings and hooters girls? hahahaha

but in all honesty... can't go wrong with bagels/cream cheese, gatorade, and orange wedges and bananas

JRProstaf9
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Also i'd advise against cake or cupcakes unless you want the coach/players to be wearing it...

Bodacious DVT
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
DO NOT bring energy drinks. having a caffine rush before a match is horrible. not only that but some people react to them and can develope heart palpitations if they are consumed before a high-energy event.

you're better off going with gatorade rain or something of the sorts. and its cheaper / hydrates the kids better.

Fee
09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Bagels and light cream cheese are fine. They are athletes and they will burn it off.

If you have a Costco card, I would seriously recommend the Glaceau Vitamin Waters. They are low in sugar, they have a decent taste (once you get used to it), and they are not as much of a rip off as things like Propel. I agree that you should absolutely stay away from Red Bull, Rock Star and that crap, people just don't understand the kinds of problems those beverages cause (especially with chronic use).

Fruit is always good, especially the lighter and easier consumed fruits. Watermelon is a great idea. I remember watching our high school boys team devour it after their playoff match a few months ago. No one touched it before the match began.

(and you can still include a few cookies as a treat)

Kaptain Karl
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
I am surprised at all the recommendations for Cream Cheese & Bagels. As a Coach, I discourage the parents from bringing anything messy (chocolate, fizzy drinks, yogurt, etc.) because the boys are slobs and will trash the bus ... their gear ... MY gear ... et cetera. I would categorize cream cheese as "messy".

One of our parents owns a Pizza restaurant, so *that* mess is (of course) given a "Pass".

Another family owns a Soup & Sandwich restaurant, so they are loved by all when they bring their "catered" treats. (And they treat us VERY well.)

Another dad brought about six big bags of Potato Chips, Hershey bars and a case of Soft Drinks. (I coulda shot him!) His excuse was that's what HE likes for tennis. My retort was, "That's partly why you are stuck at the 3.0 level you are!" (We're friends ... but he really ticked me off.)

One mom bought a bunch of packages of Trail Mix, several units of String Cheese and a case of Gatorade from Costco. Her treats were very well-received.

Oh yeah. One family brought a cooler of Chic-fil-A sandwiches, a case of Gatorade and BUNCHES of watermelon slices. The boys wanted to vote for them to bring the food ALL the time. (Of course we denied that wish.)

-
-
-

Thinking about this, if I were doing this for the team, I'd probably bring the Trail Mix (something like) Glaceau Vitamin Waters (or Gatorade Rain) and some kind of Energy Bar that isn't really a candy bar "in disguise."

- KK

Jack the Hack
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I played 4 years of high school tennis, 4 years of college tennis, coached as an assistant for 1 year at a Division I college, and was head coach for 2 years at a high school. That's 11 seasons of tennis... and NOT ONCE did I ever experience a situation where a parent cared enough to bring snacks or drinks for the team. In fact, when I did my stint as a high school coach, I was the one that provided the Powerade and banannas, and set up all the chairs, scoreboards, and benches for the teams. For those that have "tennis moms" that help out and bring goodies to matches, consider yourselves to be very, very lucky.

(I think the first time I ever got anything free before or after a match was with my USTA League team last year. The captain owns a grocery store, and he brought an ice chest full of beer, wine, Gatorade, and soft drinks - cool! On second thought, we did get meal money in college... but that was only enough to cover a combo meal at Taco Bell...)

LanEvo
09-17-2007, 05:28 PM
why bagels and cream cheese? is it supposed to help u in a match?

Fee
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I've had bagels and cream cheese at matches before (ladies league stuff). I personally like them, but I can only eat AFTER I play, and then I am usually like Godzilla storming through Tokyo, so bagels work well for me. Bananas before and during. I drink a lot during matches, my choices are water (obviously), diluted fruit punch Gatorade (50 % water), and Vitamin Water (either the red one or the orange one). I like Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze because its a bit carbonated like soda, but without all the sugar.

JRProstaf9
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I played 4 years of high school tennis, 4 years of college tennis, coached as an assistant for 1 year at a Division I college, and was head coach for 2 years at a high school. That's 11 seasons of tennis... and NOT ONCE did I ever experience a situation where a parent cared enough to bring snacks or drinks for the team. In fact, when I did my stint as a high school coach, I was the one that provided the Powerade and banannas, and set up all the chairs, scoreboards, and benches for the teams. For those that have "tennis moms" that help out and bring goodies to matches, consider yourselves to be very, very lucky.

(I think the first time I ever got anything free before or after a match was with my USTA League team last year. The captain owns a grocery store, and he brought an ice chest full of beer, wine, Gatorade, and soft drinks - cool! On second thought, we did get meal money in college... but that was only enough to cover a combo meal at Taco Bell...)

I feel your pain on this one... the resume isn't quite as long as yours but if I look back on the years i played in highschool, college, coaching highschool, and teaching/coaching at my local club I can only count 2 times when the parent brought food for the players... and that was when I coached highschool girls tennis for 2 years and only on "senior day" when we would have a mini party for the team after our last home match. This was usually coordinated by the girls with the parents help though.

For the most part we never had any hot food... just snacks like chips, cookies, cupcakes, a sheet cake one year... which to my chagrin ended up wearing (hence my earlier note)

Although they did have team dinners a couple times during the season that some of the parents hosted... only made it to 3 of them out of the 2 seasons though...

College was interesting but we usually got treated to one decent dinner/lunch on away/road trips that our coach/school paid for but then again a decent dinner for us was heading to hooters or a nice pizza joint on the way home :)

LarougeNY
09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Moms always brought bagels, not necessarily with creamcheese or butter, but plain, as well as doritos and chips. Gatorade would be good, and like someone else said: COOKIES.

Photoshop
09-18-2007, 04:19 PM
sunflower seeds, trail mix, string cheese, and COOKIES. yum!

Hot Sauce
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Filet Mignon with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables. Imagine eating that during a changeover; all good until you step back on to the court!

gwrtheyrn
09-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Generally, my team has gatorades (Often of the Rain variety), some chips/granola bars, and grapes/bananas...that's about it

J-man
09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I would avoid Red Bull and stuff like that.

Grapes, strawberries, bananas are obvious. Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze (a little bit fizzy) are good drinks. But I have a complete weakness for COOKIES! Even without milk, I love cookies! Oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, oreos.Add bottle of wine for afterwards:) :p

slice bh compliment
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Add bottle of wine for afterwards:) :p

Oh, come on. They are high school kids!

Hahahhahaha, so, what what's the preference? Fortified wines, or Franzia from a box? Mad Dog? Boone's Farm. Strawberry Hill. Thunderbird? Night Train? A Galln of Gallo Chablis. White Zin?

Okay, so how about the vegan health food nut mom (who I'd appreciate now)? Carrot Juice! Wheatgrass shots all around! Tofu/sprout wraps on rice paper with a mango relish. Tempeh burgers! Grapefruit smoothies!

KoreanHB
09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
chips ahoy cookies and gatorade, bunch of chips small bags variety

Loco4Tennis
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh, come on. They are high school kids!
Okay, so how about the vegan health food nut mom (who I'd appreciate now)? Carrot Juice! Wheatgrass shots all around! Tofu/sprout wraps on rice paper with a mango relish. Tempeh burgers! Grapefruit smoothies!

you might be able to hook a couple kids in, due to the colorfull options, but as soon as they run their mouths to their friends, your not gonna get any other takers :-) soorrry
ps. "Wheatgrass shots" ,,,, i kringe at the tought :sad: