PDA

View Full Version : Lasik

phamphihung
09-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi All,

Have anyone done Lasik ? how is the result ? any inf. is greatly appreciated.

ktownva
09-17-2007, 05:08 AM
I had Lasik surgery in Oct 2005, and the results have been excellent. My eyesight is 20/15 in both eyes (that is better than 20/20). My tennis has improved a lot also. Before I used to wear glasses, and they would slide around or fog up during a match.

The surgery is a painless, but not for someone squeamish. You will be fully awake during surgery, and you will hear/smell the laser burning process. Ewww, I know. But it is over pretty quickly, and then you will have perfect vision!

Shahar26
09-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I had Lasik surgery in Oct 2005, and the results have been excellent. My eyesight is 20/15 in both eyes (that is better than 20/20). My tennis has improved a lot also. Before I used to wear glasses, and they would slide around or fog up during a match.

The surgery is a painless, but not for someone squeamish. You will be fully awake during surgery, and you will hear/smell the laser burning process. Ewww, I know. But it is over pretty quickly, and then you will have perfect vision!

That sounds all too well, but as far as I know, it doesn't work for astigmatism (which I have...), and I heard of cases where people's number had been reduced to 0.5.

As much as I hate glasses, unless I know there is a 99% chance I will see perfectly with the operation, I'm going to skip it.

ktownva
09-17-2007, 05:52 AM
That sounds all too well, but as far as I know, it doesn't work for astigmatism (which I have...), and I heard of cases where people's number had been reduced to 0.5.

As much as I hate glasses, unless I know there is a 99% chance I will see perfectly with the operation, I'm going to skip it.

That is not correct, I had astigmatism and it corrected it 100%. The doctor can tell you if Lasik will work after a few tests.

phamphihung
09-17-2007, 05:58 AM
ktownva, thank you for the inf. right now I am played tennis wearing contact lense everytime I feel discomfortable with the contact lense is really effect my concerntration. also getting tired to get up in the middle of the night and try to find my glasses and al of the expensive, how much does is cost you to do the surgery ?

ktownva
09-17-2007, 06:06 AM
ktownva, thank you for the inf. right now I am played tennis wearing contact lense everytime I feel discomfortable with the contact lense is really effect my concerntration. also getting tired to get up in the middle of the night and try to find my glasses and al of the expensive, how much does is cost you to do the surgery ?

It cost me around $4,000 but you can find less expensive doctors. Just make sure to check out the doctor's credentials. If he/she has done thousands of Lasik procedures then you know they are experienced!

usfferjenn
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
i wear hard lenses (RGP) and have been debating about getting lasix for awhile now. I used to have astigmatism but since I've started wearing the hard lenses it's pretty much gone. A lot of people complain about how it's really uncomfortable to wear hard lenses but it wasn't too bad. I think it took me maybe a month to get used to them. It's a good alternative if you're squeamish about surgery.

10sfreak
09-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I've had LASIK done on my left eye back in August '99. Got excellent results! Went from -11.5 to 0.0
Unfortunately, I had already had RK (radial keratotomy) done on my right eye - results weren't/aren't nearly as good. But, the vision did go from -8.5 to -.5, so I still see a LOT better than I used to out of that eye! Btw, I doubt that anyone even performs RK anymore...

volusiano
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I had mine done 3.5 years ago. My left eye was -5/-1.76 and right eye was -5.25/-2.75 (heavy astigmatism). My left eye is 20/20 now and right eye is 15/20. I could have gone back to have another round done on the right eye to get 20/20 if I wanted, but I chose to leave it alone to help with close up reading, since I was near reading glass age.

It was the best money I ever spent on myself. My wife and I had the surgery on the same day. She had a lighter prescription and she's 20/20 in both eyes now. We paid $3K on the surgery for both of us. I wished I had it done sooner.

KoreanHB
09-17-2007, 04:00 PM
I heard some weird story that, if you get hit on the eye anytime after the surgery, you may lose your vision or your vision might go bad. For example, if you get hit by a tennis ball on the eye after having surgery, you could lose your vision.
That's what I heard, I am not sure on this

TheShaun
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I heard some weird story that, if you get hit on the eye anytime after the surgery, you may lose your vision or your vision might go bad. For example, if you get hit by a tennis ball on the eye after having surgery, you could lose your vision.
That's what I heard, I am not sure on this

i'm sure that holds true, with or without the surgery.

LanEvo
09-17-2007, 04:30 PM
i'm sure that holds true, with or without the surgery.

lol good one but i was wondering does lasik last forever and can ur eyes get bad again?

Sean Dugan
09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Even with lasik, you'll end up needing reading glasses in your 40's when presbyopia sets in.

I have heard of cases where people have had complications. Foggy vision, etc. Some have been all but blinded. Don't go with the lowest bidder, go with the best most experienced doctor with the lowest rate of complications.

I've considered having lasik, but I'm so accustomed to wearing glasses and contacts that it isn't a big deal to me anymore. Maybe some day, after a few million more guinea pigs have the surgery done ahead of me. Or, when they come out with something that makes lasik look as primitive as RK. ;o)

usfferjenn
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
yeah, i've heard that because it is so new they don't know what's going to happen 20, 30, 40 years down the road. kinda scary... i've heard a lot about the foggy vision and seeing light spots as complications too.

ktownva
09-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Lasik is not a procedure for everyone, that is true. There are risks and if you look hard enough, you will find horror stories to scare yourself out of doing it.

It has been over 2 years since I had Lasik, and my eyesight is still razor sharp. The first few months I noticed halos around lights when driving at night, but it wasn't so bad that driving was a problem. The doctor told me beforehand I might experience this for a while, it is caused by fluid from the surgery left under the "eyeflap".

Also, the first month after surgery, you have to wear goggles to bed to prevent yourself from rubbing your eyes in your sleep. You also cannot go swimming, and when you shower you have to keep your eyes shut and not let any water in. And of course they recommend that you don't play contact sports like basketball, wrestling, etc. Tennis was ok, though!

There are also these anti-infection drops that you have to use for the first month. One of the eyedrops stings, and the other feels gritty. That's about all the negatives I can think of. I would do the Lasik again, it is worth it.

Shahar26
09-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Lasik is not a procedure for everyone, that is true. There are risks and if you look hard enough, you will find horror stories to scare yourself out of doing it.

It has been over 2 years since I had Lasik, and my eyesight is still razor sharp. The first few months I noticed halos around lights when driving at night, but it wasn't so bad that driving was a problem. The doctor told me beforehand I might experience this for a while, it is caused by fluid from the surgery left under the "eyeflap".

Also, the first month after surgery, you have to wear goggles to bed to prevent yourself from rubbing your eyes in your sleep. You also cannot go swimming, and when you shower you have to keep your eyes shut and not let any water in. And of course they recommend that you don't play contact sports like basketball, wrestling, etc. Tennis was ok, though!

There are also these anti-infection drops that you have to use for the first month. One of the eyedrops stings, and the other feels gritty. That's about all the negatives I can think of. I would do the Lasik again, it is worth it.

Thanks for the great feedback....

Reveille1984
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I've wanted to get this done forever, I just graduated college though and funds are low. I think once I get a fulltime job this is the first thing I would invest in though. Both of my eyes are -3.5 with minor astigmatism, but my eyes are horrible with my contact lenses (not talking about my vision, but the irritation and dryness gets pretty bad). I have to go a few days without wearing contacts at the moment because I think I scratched my eye (feels like a piece of sand in my eye whenever I put in the lens).

I heard it only lasts about 10 years and you need to get it retouched, but I figure I'm already spending 100 bucks a year for contact eye exams and 30 bucks a pop for 6 disposable lenses, so it would pretty much pay for itself. I'm just afraid I'd be the one .01% statistic that ends up blind or something lol.

origmarm
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I've seriously been considering this. Contacts are working ok for me at the moment and I recently made the move from glasses so even that has been a big change for the better. At present I'm just scared of it though. Had a colleague who did it about 4yrs ago, we were sitting in this meeting about a year later and he just suddenly goes "Oh f*** I'm blind!". Completely lost the sight in both eyes, all of it. I found out afterwards that he had bumped his head about two days earlier or similar. Had to go to hospital and basically put cream in his eyes and do some treatments for about 4 months. His vision has pretty much returned to where it was before the surgery. He now wears glasses :)

That said I also know two other colleagues (now worried :)), that are just fine and have been for about 2yrs.

volusiano
09-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Foggy vision should goes away about a few days to a week or so after surgery. Halos around lights at night may take several months to go away. But it shouldn't affect you so much that you can't drive at night.

If you can put up with wearing hard or soft contact lenses, then you're used to have intrusions in your eyes, so you shouldn't have a hard time going through the surgery. It's painless, just minor discomfort during the surgery. But no more discomfort than what a contact lens wearer is already used to.

The one hassle after the surgery I remember is having to constantly put wetting drops in your eyes, every 15 minutes or so, for the first few weeks, to promote healing. And the anti biotic drops on top of that, but less often. And you tend to become sensitive to dry eyes, probably due to the overuse of the drops, so your eyes learn to reduce making natural tears. But then you wean off on the drops and your eyes start making more natural tears again. Problem solved. But I'm not going to lie, the first 3 months of recovery is kind of a hassle. But in my opinion well worth it.

All the other stuff about bumping your head or getting hit in the eye and going blind, I think it can happen to anyone. Lasik is not a factor there. An accident is an accident.

The success rate for Lasik is in the high 90's. I would recommend visiting at least 3 doctors for free evaluations to get a consensus that you're a good candidate for Lasik. This way, you know better where your odds may fall.

I agree about picking a doctor with a high success rate. But most of them have a good track records or they wouldn't be in business. In terms of cost, it has to do more with the machine you choose for your operations. They have to pay royalty fees and also recover their investment costs on the newer machines. So if you go with the newer/better machines that just came out with more bells and whistles, it'll cost you more. If you go with the older machines that they already recouped their investment on, and no longer requiring royalty fees, then it'd be less expensive. They also charge you more if you have a heavier prescription, probably to cover the higher chance that you may need a secondary adjustment procedure.

They prefer to wait until you're old enough (21 or older) and your eyesight have been stable for a while. Otherwise there's no sense in doing it if your eyesight are still changing. Some offer, for a small additional cost ($200 in my case), a lifetime warranty option, in case your vision changes 5 or 10 year down the road and you want to have another procedure redone again at no cost. Most offer a 1 year warranty in case you need to have a secondary adjustment procedure done to get your vision to 20/20.

ananda
09-18-2007, 01:13 AM
It cost me around $4,000 but you can find less expensive doctors. Just make sure to check out the doctor's credentials. If he/she has done thousands of Lasik procedures then you know they are experienced!

true but remember that the procedure is evolving/improving day by day.
Mum had both eyes done at the best hospital recently, with the best doc (in India) and there were some little thingies in eye (like a crescent) she could see.
so its not always perfect, the result.

if you want one at a reasonable price and high quality, india has some excellent hospitals. Come on over.
I'll give you free tennis lessons too :-)

Shahar26
09-18-2007, 05:41 AM
This thread has gotten me thinking about doing Lasik again......

My problem is that my numbers keeps going up, it's about 0.25 a year or so (I'm 28 now).

I got a couple of questions to the people who had it.

Can you see underwater (after the healing is done) or is it a problem?

Are there any problems with using "Herbal Remedy" during the healing process and after?

Thanks....

ktownva
09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
This thread has gotten me thinking about doing Lasik again......

My problem is that my numbers keeps going up, it's about 0.25 a year or so (I'm 28 now).

I got a couple of questions to the people who had it.

Can you see underwater (after the healing is done) or is it a problem?

Are there any problems with using "Herbal Remedy" during the healing process and after?

Thanks....

Hey Shahar,

You should probably wait until your eyesight stabilizes, otherwise it will keep deteriorating even after Lasik. But ask your doctor about this, they may have other advice.

After the eyes have healed, seeing underwater is not a problem. I don't even think about it anymore, and I even rub my eyes without worry because the doctor explained that once healed, nothing is going to "come loose". I'm not sure about the herbal remedy, but hey, light up a doobie if that's your thing, I don't think it will hurt anything. Just don't let the smoke get in your eyes.

volusiano
09-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Haha, light up a doobie... I like that. ;)

The main healing part of the surgery is for the flap to heal. They partially cut the flap and lift it out of the way so they can shine the laser beam on your cornea to reshape it. When done, they put the flap back and the healing of the flap begins. The flap has the natural tendency to reattach onto your cornea easily and stay put there (I guess through natural suction due to the moisture). So this is really the main part of the risk of the surgery; the cutting and healing of the flap. Once healed, it becomes one with your eye again and you should be able to rub your eyes like before you have the surgery.

volusiano
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
if you want one at a reasonable price and high quality, india has some excellent hospitals. Come on over.
I'll give you free tennis lessons too :-)

I notice that the OP has a Vietnamese name. I have a brother in law who's a US citizen but married a Vietnames wife and is currently living in Vietnam. He had Lasik done in Vietnam last year and he said it cost him only $500 for both eyes. And the machine they used on him was a fairly modern one (the Visek). He has better than 20/20 vision now, and is happy with the results. It took him a couple of years after seeing the results my wife and I had before deciding to jump in. He said he wished he had done it sooner.

rockwell25
01-25-2008, 07:08 AM
LASIK (http://www.my2020.com) was the best thing Iíve ever done for myself. I am a mother of a 3 year old and a 1 year old and that means a lot of waking up in the middle of the night. This translated to sleeping in my contacts so that I could see what I was doing when I had to check on my kids; after 20 years, it was starting to take a toll on the health of my eyes. Dr. Wiles is so informative and has such a calm demeanor; he put me at ease even though I was nervous about the procedure. He went through all of the steps involved in the treatment so that I knew exactly what to expect. I appreciate everything he has done to make my vision what it is today. I can now see 20/20 with no help."

Mark Vessels
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Sucks that you can only have it at 18 years old and older, if I have it i will make sure I'll be asleep

sailorMo0n
02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Last year I undergo Lasik surgery for my nearsightedness and like the concern of other people im not comfortable in wearing contacts because my eyes are sensitive for infection so my friend recommends me for Lasik exam .The exam include a complete evaluation of the internal and external health of the eyes. They create a detailed map of the eyes and perform all of the visual tests necessary to prepare for LASIK. And the nice thing is they use the latest, most advanced technology to thoroughly determine your eligibility for LASIK. Hereís the LASIK procedure step by step:

Step 1: Using advanced technology, your eyes and their visual fields are mapped out entirely. This customized and extremely detailed information is then reviewed by your surgeon and transferred directly to the laser.

Step 2: The cornea of the eye is numbed with eye drops and the eyelids are gently held open to prevent blinking. Using a microkeratome, your surgeon creates a thin flap from the outer corneal layers of the eye, this flap is then gently folded back and away from the eye.

Step 3: Using an Excimer laser, which emits a cool beam of light upon the eye, your surgeon will gently reshape the cornea.

Step 4: Finally, the protective flap that was created in Step Two is gently placed back in its original position. Your eyes will begin to heal immediately and visual improvements are often seen right after the procedure or the very next day!

Ohh actually you can check my2020 (http://www.my2020.com) for more info about LASIK procedure. Hope it helps you in a little way though.