PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Morons in NFL History

Sean Dugan
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
There are a lot of winners to pick from. Let me start the ball rolling:

1) OJ Simpson: With this recent Vegas incident to add to the completely botched double homicide, OJ may now qualify as the biggest moron of all time. He had a great post NFL gig going. Hertz was paying him $400K a year in 1994 just to travel around and play bad golf once a month or so. They even provided him with a free Bronco which you may have heard about. ;o) This thing in Vegas is just too stupid to even begin to comprehend. If convicted on all counts, he is facing a minimum of 30 years in prison.

2) Michael Vick: Threw away one of the sweetest deals of all time for a stupid dog fighting ring. And killed dogs he could have sold, given away, or taken to the pound. He will never get back into the good graces of most fans.

3) Todd Marinovich: Another guy who threw away a sweet deal. He threw it away for drugs. Was recently arrested again for drug possession. He attempted to elude police on his skate board. He is 38 years old. Pathetic.

Sean Dugan
09-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Let's not indict an entire teams for one bad game ;o)

The only Cowboy that immediately comes to mind in this category would be Duane Thomas.

(Note: The post I alluded to has been deleted.)

tricky
09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
3) Todd Marinovich: Another guy who threw away a sweet deal.

Todd's a sad case. His dad molded him into being a pro QB whether he liked it or not. And he probably didn't.

My pick is probably Ryan Leaf, greatest QB bust ever.

drakulie
09-17-2007, 03:05 PM
2) Michael Vick: Threw away one of the sweetest deals of all time for a stupid dog fighting ring. And killed dogs he could have sold, given away, or taken to the pound. He will never get back into the good graces of most fans.

Coward, and Scum Bag!

El Diablo
09-17-2007, 03:11 PM
How about Bill Bellichik? Hurts me to say it as he and my kid are fellow Wesleyan alums, but the guy keeps videotaping after the league had warned him, so he loses some cash and a draft pick.

Big Fed
09-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Vick is amazingly stupid.

TokyopunK
09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
How bout Ricky Williams? He used to be so coooool

Sean Dugan
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I considered Leaf, too. But, isn't he is more a case of money down the drain?

I think he ended up keeping the money the Chargers gave him and hasn't been indicted for anything. He just signed the enormous contract and didn't really see the need to play football anymore. He made the Chargers management look like morons. I think he had some injury problems. He could chuck a football though.

Ricky Wiliams is a good choice. He keeps blowing it with the cannabis tests. I think he has about as much motivation to play as Leaf does.

That is the problem with giving these 21 year olds enormous guaranteed contracts before they have done anything in the NFL. If I'm an instant multi-millionaire where is my incentive to work hard unless I'm an extremely self motivated person?

Silent
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Emmit Smith.

Said something about being a diamond in the rough when talking about his teammates when he was with the Cardinals.

Claimed on national television last week that Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman and himself were the only reasons Dallas won Superbowls in the nineties.

This weekend, after a point was made about Dallas being one of the only teams ever to reach the Superbowl having started a season with two losses, boomer made a crack at Smith claiming it was his fault if Dallas started that way because he didn't play. Smith to reply that no contract meant no playing, making it sound like it was completely out of his control.

Someone this self-centered deserves the title.

10sfreak
09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Silent, I'm NOT doubting you about Emmitt, but could you please post a link to his comments? I'm a huge Cowboys fan, and I remember him saying the "diamond in the rough" comment, but not the other stuff. I'm hoping he was mis-quoted or something, 'cause I've always been a big fan of his...

Btw, I think you'd have to include Michael Irvin in this group as well

P.S. As for "no contract means no playing" comment, Emmitt IS right about that...these guys take big risks with their health when they play, so I can see why he wouldn't play w/o a contract. In fact, he probably COULDN'T play w/o one, by rule.

Silent
09-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I'll try to find links.

These comments were made this weekend and last weekend during NFL Countdown between 11am and 1pm eastern. I should point out that he didn't go out of his way to make those comments, he answered questions and participated in the conversation, basically.

I agree with you about Irvin, even though Dallas is also my favorite team, and Irvin was one of my favorite players. Personally I loved Barry Sanders much more, but he isn't a role model either.

I agree that a player without a contract shouldn't play. However, it seems to me that the off-season is long enough to be able to sign a contract.

tricky
09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
but the guy keeps videotaping after the league had warned him, so he loses some cash and a draft pick.

Really hurts me to say this, because until last week, I really admired Bellichick and the Pats, but the Pats really deserved to be banned from the playoffs. That was completely unacceptable, and Bellicheat didn't really show contrition. Somehow I'm going to root for the Pats anyway . . .

I considered Leaf, too. But, isn't he is more a case of money down the drain?

I guess my bitterness is that the Chargers could have gotten PEYTON MANNING instead. And at the time, Leaf was projected to be a sure thing, as good as Peyton. Peyton + LT + Antonio Gates? Can I cry now?

Ricky Wiliams is a good choice. He keeps blowing it with the cannabis tests. I think he has about as much motivation to play as Leaf does.

Difference with Ricky is that he flat out doesn't want to play football anymore. It paid him well, but beyond that, he didn't have much passion for the game and he didn't like being some teams' battering ram every week. If Ricky didn't sign that boneheaded contract in New Oreland, I think he'd have retired a long time ago. He threw two teams under the bus, but he wasn't a moron, per se.

As for "no contract means no playing" comment, Emmitt IS right about that...these guys take big risks with their health when they play, so I can see why he wouldn't play w/o a contract

Emmitt was completely right about this. Remember that the extend of their money isn't guaranteed if they get hurt. Fans hate when players are like this, but unlike the NBA and MLB, there is good reason.

KBalla08
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I understand that Bellichik cheated, but you cant put any punishment on the players... they didnt do anything, they just played and did what they were told... Tom Brady is my idol lol, so dont bad-mouth him

10sfreak
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll try to find links.

These comments were made this weekend and last weekend during NFL Countdown between 11am and 1pm eastern. I should point out that he didn't go out of his way to make those comments, he answered questions and participated in the conversation, basically.

I agree with you about Irvin, even though Dallas is also my favorite team, and Irvin was one of my favorite players. Personally I loved Barry Sanders much more, but he isn't a role model either.

I agree that a player without a contract shouldn't play. However, it seems to me that the off-season is long enough to be able to sign a contract.
Oh, no! What bad things has Barry Sanders done/said? Actually, I'm not sure I want to know, as I've always considered him a very classy guy, and arguably the best running back in NFL history - he was flat-out amazing to watch! I've read somewhere before that as soon as he signed his contract with the Lions, he wrote out a check for 250K to the U. of Oklahoma for giving him the opportunity to make that kind of money.

Drona
09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Eugene Robinson: arrested prior to Superbowl XXXIII for solicitation after he won the Bart Starr award for "high moral character"

tenniskid3119
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Let's not indict an entire teams for one bad game ;o)

The only Cowboy that immediately comes to mind in this category would be Duane Thomas.

(Note: The post I alluded to has been deleted.)

how about Leon Lett a.k.a. dumbass he ruined so much for us (Cowboys)

tricky
09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
they didnt do anything, they just played and did what they were told...

Wait, isn't that the Nuremberg Trial defense? ;) I have nothing bad to say about Brady (you a Wolverine?), but the coach's choices are the team's choices in this situation. And it IS incredibly moronic to send a spy out when your own opponent would know exactly how you pull that kind of crap.

KBalla08
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Wait, isn't that the Nuremberg Trial defense? ;) I have nothing bad to say about Brady (you a Wolverine?), but the coach's choices are the team's choices in this situation. And it IS incredibly moronic to send a spy out when your own opponent would know exactly how you pull that kind of crap.
Haha ya I am a Wolverine... but idk bout the coach's choices being the player's choices... maybe it's true the other way around... on the field that is... o well, he is complying with Goodell so it's all good. PATRIOTS 08 SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! lol

hjminard
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, no! What bad things has Barry Sanders done/said? Actually, I'm not sure I want to know, as I've always considered him a very classy guy, and arguably the best running back in NFL history - he was flat-out amazing to watch! I've read somewhere before that as soon as he signed his contract with the Lions, he wrote out a check for 250K to the U. of Oklahoma for giving him the opportunity to make that kind of money.

Nothing that I know of ...

Barry's a bit of a strange bird, and some Lions fans don't like the way he left (never informed the team, just didn't show up), but as far as I know there are no major skeletons in his closet.

Odd dude ... but relatively classy.

Jack the Hack
09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I guess my bitterness is that the Chargers could have gotten PEYTON MANNING instead. And at the time, Leaf was projected to be a sure thing, as good as Peyton. Peyton + LT + Antonio Gates? Can I cry now?

I think you are forgetting the history of the 1998 draft. The Indianapolis Colts had the #1 selection, and they were the ones that were fretting over the pick between Manning or Leaf. They made the correct choice and picked Manning. San Diego had the #2 pick, and got Leaf... but it's not like Manning was on the board and they overlooked him... the only way they could have gotten Peyton was if Indy had made the wrong choice themselves.

Ironically, if you are going to be bitter about anything, I'm suprised it's not about Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego after they chose him with the 1st overall pick in 2004. I think that's worse than Leaf flaming out... although, I suppose that it worked out well for SD in the end (Merriman and Kaeding came in that subsequent trade with New York, as well as Rivers).

Ryan Leaf was a grade A jerk in college, and in his first couple years as a pro. With all of his physical gifts, he thought he was destined for greatness... and had a giant ego to go with it. Unfortunately for San Diego, he wasn't fast enough for the pro game and got injured frequently. The last I heard of him, it sounded like he had finally grown up as a person, and was spending his time as a high school football coach.

Guys who just don't turn out to be good enough, or get injured, do not bother me as much as players that have everything and throw it all away with laziness, drugs, or other stupid criminal activity. On that note, I agree with the votes for Vick and Marinovich... and add Lawrence Phillips and Rae Carruth to the mix.

goober
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Guys who just don't turn out to be good enough, or get injured, do not bother me as much as players that have everything and throw it all away with laziness, drugs, or other stupid criminal activity. On that note, I agree with the votes for Vick and Marinovich... and add Lawrence Phillips and Rae Carruth to the mix.

Lol Lawerence Phillips. Yeah I think he qualifies. Anybody remember his last incident where he got into a dispute with some teenagers over a pickup football game? He drove a car into them after his pickup team started losing.

I don't if I would throw Leaf into the same Moron category. Even though his personality left something to be desired he was more of a NFL bust than a Moron.

Sean Dugan
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Rae Carruth and Lawrence Phillps definitely make the team. Good Choices. I actually lost some respect for Bill Walsh when he signed Phillips.

Barry Sanders was a great back who caused no problems. He had the misfortune to play for the worst franchise in modern pro football. He was smart to walk away because the Lions would never let him go and are destined to lose forever. He made a ton of money, actually performed at a high level every year he played and he can probably still walk without pain. His talent was completely wasted on the Lions.

And if Sanders gave 250K to U of Oklahoma, I'll bet this alma mater is pretty ticked off. He went to OSU not U of OK. ;o)

alwaysatnet
09-17-2007, 06:14 PM
I nominate every adult male over the age of eighteen that sits in the "Black Hole" section at Oakland Raiders games dressed up in their "Kiss meets Star Wars" Halloween outfits. Oooooh,scary! Knock it off you guys.
You're scaring the poor little kiddies!
During Raider home games the Coliseum turns into a Roach Motel for losers.

Oh, and I also nominate Brian Bosworth and Ricky Williams.
But mostly I just chuckle at the clowns at the Raiders' games.

alwaysatnet
09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I almost forgot Adam "Pacman" Jones. A true thug and low life who attracts trouble the way a magnet attracts iron filings. He and his "posse"(that is, his low i.q. hangers on) were in the middle of a Las Vegas nightclub brawl that wound up costing a security guard the use of his legs for the rest of his life.
This scum makes Michael Vick look like a solid citizen.
He's more than a mere moron. He's evil.

10sfreak
09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Rae Carruth and Lawrence Phillps definitely make the team. Good Choices.
I actually lost some respect for Bil Walsh when he signed Phillips.

Barry Sanders was a great back who caused no problems. He had the misfortune to play for the worst franchise in pro football. He was smart to walk away because the Lions wouldn't let him go and were destined to lose forever. He made a ton of money, actually performed at a high level every year he played and he can still walk without pain. His talent was completely wasted on the Lions.

And if Sanders gave 250K to U of Oklahoma, I'll be this alma mater is pretty ticked off. He went to OSU not U of OK. ;o)

Oops, my mistake! Sorry about that...

Cruzer
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM

I would not classify Duane Thomas as a moron because he did not get along with Tom Landry. He wasn't the first or last player to disagree with Landry's coaching style and/or dislike his personality. If he had been playing for Shula or Noll he may not have lost a very solid NFL career. Unfortunately for Thomas when he tried to come back with Washington he was too far past his prime.

10sfreak
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I would not classify Duane Thomas as a moron because he did not get along with Tom Landry. He wasn't the first or last player to disagree with Landry's coaching style and/or dislike his personality. If he had been playing for Shula or Noll he may not have lost a very solid NFL career. Unfortunately for Thomas when he tried to come back with Washington he was too far past his prime.
Uh, I thought Duane Thomas got involved in drugs? I know there was some Cowboys player back in the '70s who did, and I think it was Thomas...

martin8768
09-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Go Packers!

vandre
09-18-2007, 02:01 PM
lets see, the list could be long but distinguished...

:confused: adam "pac-man" jones. really, what does he do that won't put him on this list? he has to spend over $100,000 (i think) to buy back his vehicle with custom seat covers after it was seized by police whene the "friend" he loaned it to was busted on drug charges. and this is a relatively calm story. no strip club and no gunfire, but he's certainly no stranger to those either.

:confused: ricky williams, mr. "i was gonna go to training camp...but then i got high"

:confused: leonard little killed someone while driving drunk.

:confused: koren robinson collects d.u.i.s like some of us collect racquets!

i agree with rae carruth. maurice clarett behaved for the week or so he was in the nfl, but flaked out really bad before and after that.

a good number of the bengals could receive honorable mention. chris henry, odell thurman and many others.

Silent
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, no! What bad things has Barry Sanders done/said?Like Hjminard said, what I didn't like about him is how he left the Lions, wanting to ditch his career rather than to play in Detroit. It seems like a disproportionate price to pay to leave a trashy organization.

I don't think I'll be able to find any sources on what Emmit Smith said, unless someone taped the show and uploaded it somewhere. But come to think of it, I think T.O. should be considered way before Smith and/or Irvin, although I'm still glad he's on my side.

I remember Lawrence Phillips. He came to play in Montreal (I live there) for the Alouettes in the CFL. He's a very talented guy but he simply can't be handed responsibilities. NFL RBs should be able to burn the CFL, but they don't because they think it will be easy, well it's not THAT easy. Ricky Williams learnt it too.

Let me add Doug Flutie. Great CFL QB, helped the Bills a lot in his NFL comeback, but man does he like to hear himself talk and see himself in the mirror...I can't stand these kind of people.

Hot Sauce
09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Two words: Booby Miles.

NoBadMojo
09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
A vote should be cast for Ray Lewis who is very likely a murderer who should be playing his football on the prison team.

Or how about casting a group vote for a whole bunch of Bengals who decided to be convicted felons

Silent
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
How about Ray Finkel ? Former Dolphins' kicker who missed a Superbowl winning field goal and who had a sex change and ended up kidnapping the Dolphins' mascot.

But seriously, I think Randy Moss could be added. He once said that sometimes he feels like playing, and plays well, and sometimes feels like not playing and plays bad, and that that's just the way things are.

The_1337
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
well belicheat has to be on the top 10.

hjminard
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Two words: Booby Miles.

Great show! And yes, Booby has issues ...

hjminard
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Barret Robbins from the Raiders should be mentioned, too.

jmsx521
09-18-2007, 05:16 PM
All of them!

What kind of sport is this; they run and slam each other's bodies... and people enjoy and cheer their traumatic brain-washing body-crashes. It's maybe something that would've belonged at the Coliseum 2000 years ago, solely for the public's enjoyment of violence... but nowadays -- no.

Sean Dugan
09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Lance Rentzel ;o)

Don S
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Keashawn Johnson (as every Bucs fan knows) and Terrell Owens

Breaker
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Tank Johnson and "Pacman" Jones.

goober
09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Keashawn Johnson (as every Bucs fan knows) and Terrell Owens

They both have attitude issues, but I wouldn't call them morons. They know how to work the system. Keyshawn had a 11 year career and made a ton of money. He has numerous business interests outside of football and still works as an ESPN analyst. TO is still playing and is still one of the highest paid WRs.

krz
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
hey don't hate on TO and Randy they are on my fantasy team and carrying it :D

OJ Simpson tops this list. Even though I'm a Bills fan. He somehow gets himself out of a murder charges and then after all that trouble gets arrested for armed robbery? lol

tennispro11
09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
He got away with murder so he thought he could get away with robbery and kidnapping and a lot of other crap. What a psycho!!!

Phil
09-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Someone mentioned Lawrence Phillips, a "man" who gets his jollies from slapping women around, and he'd have to be on the first team along with Rae Carruth.

Another idiot is Art Schlichter, the Ohio State golden boy QB who had the world at his beck and call and threw it all away because of his degenerate gambling habit. He ended up in prison. Another winner is Gabe Rivera, a first-round draft choice of the Steelers and a potential all-time great defensive end, This guy had incredible talent, but during his rookie season, after one booze-filled winter night, he crashed his car on a country road and ended up paralyzed from the chest down.

lethalfang
09-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Gus Frerotte: celebrated a touchdown by banging his head against the wall, injuring himself.
Bill Gramatica: jumping up and down like a monkey after kicking a FG, and tore his ACL.

Cruzer
09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Lance Rentzel ;o)

The amazing thing about Rentzel is that he was married to Joey Heatherington, a real hottie at the time of his incident.

rasajadad
09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Is everyone too young to remember Lawrence Taylor getting popped with crack?

vandre
09-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Is everyone too young to remember Lawrence Taylor getting popped with crack?

nah, dude, it just slipped my mind. good get!

the crack might've made him scarier. do you want a 220-250 pound lb chasing you. might've made him quicker as well.

Sean Dugan
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Joe Theisman gave him the crack. ;o)

I think we have a pretty solid backfield and wide outs.

QB Art Schliester (Good pick, Phil; Art is a favorite among gambling men and bookies.)
RB OJ Simpson (An obvious choice. Cutting edge moron)
RB Lawrence Phillips (like OJ, didn't fare very well with women voters. Streamlined the car rental process)

WR Terrell Owens (Still early in his psychosis; has many incidents ahead of him)
WR Lance Rentzel (Suffered from overexposure and then faded away.)
WR Rae Caruthe (Not father or husband material.)

Dishonorable Mentions
Back Up QB Todd Marinovich (Potential Starter and excellent skate boarder.)
Back Up RB Maurice Clarett (Future F1 Champ?)
Back Up RB Ricky Williams (President: Bob Marley Fan Club)

vandre
09-19-2007, 01:12 PM
i always heard they used to catch michael irvin trying to snort the sidelines. he might ad some depth at wr. chris henry might not be a bad choice either.

tricky
09-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Laurence Taylor didn't heed the wisdom of the original Oprah herself, Whitney Houston.

''Crack is cheap. I make too much money to use crack. Crack is wack.'' -- Whitney Houston

Joe Theisman gave him the crack.

Gruesome, gruesome injury too.