PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try badminton?

raginasian
09-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm sure Americans think it is a sissie sport, but just look at clips on youtube, and I bet you'll be wanting to learn how to do that. It's all the rage in Europe and Asia, and I think if some athletes who play other racquet sports such as tennis, check out badminton, I think we can make it more available in America. I think it is only really popular in California and New York right now.

Luckily, I have a club at my university and one downtown. I have played for a short while, and I have to tell you, tennis does not help your badminton. Badminton requires different skills. I think it focuses much more on technique and fitness. But I like it overall, and luckily I got some good players I can learn from.

raginasian
09-17-2007, 11:18 PM
let's see:

Lin Dan vs. Taufik Hidayat

Two amazing talents of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GsdAP-GWXs

Have you seen this spectacular rally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2k-tsX5KE&mode=related&search=

I'm sure this takes a ton of fitness and really refining your technique from the get-go. I would dare to say more fitness and technique needed than tennis. I also think the trick shots are cooler :)

ananda
09-18-2007, 01:41 AM
i played a lot of baddie last year. i too thought it was a sissie sport till i played it. requires a lot of fitness. you have to run a lot faster since you cant wait for a ball to bounce.

playing singles can be very tiresome. luckily the learning curve is almost nil. in tennis you have to learn your various strokes, in baddie most of it is just very natural .. basic continnental style i think, no slices and topspins, no 3 kinds of serves and best of all .... no having to put up with pushers who keep giving slow balls !!!!

Slazenger
09-18-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm a pretty good badminton player. My dad got me into almost every sport and I played badminton religiously for about 3 years straight in high school. I even played for my high school.
It's fun when you're playing someone who can really play.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
09-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Absolutely. With my daughter, we alternate between tennis, badminton and racquetball to help understand the many differences between them. We used to play primarily tennis but balls were flying off the court, over fences etc. and I got tired of retrieving them. Then we started playing badminton more and this helped calm her down and appreciate pace, power, finesse more. And it really helped with tennis. As my name indicates I love tennis, but badminton is a close second. And in some ways more of a thinking explosive kind of thing. Handball is another really big European sport which helps with hand and eye coordination.