PDA

View Full Version : Jazz guitar anyone ?

bluegrasser
09-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Having played R&R, bluegrass, and blues mostly, at least attempting to - this winter I'm going to take a crack at Jazz guitar - I've always dug players like Wes, Joe Pass, Barney Kessell, and umm singers like Diana Krall, Ella etc. and have quite a few jazz cd's. So, any jazz guitarists out there in tennis land or jazz enthusiasts.

Gugafan_Redux
09-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I was a rock guitarist mainly, back when I played. But I liked innovators, and got into Wes Montgomery. Figured out a few of his tunes and got to know the octave techniques -- playing melodies in double, basically. But those days are long gone.

vkartikv
09-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't know if this fits but how about Marc Antoine?

AlexP
09-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Just saw McLaughlin two nights ago, amazing.

North
09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Having played R&R, bluegrass, and blues mostly, at least attempting to - this winter I'm going to take a crack at Jazz guitar - I've always dug players like Wes, Joe Pass, Barney Kessell, and umm singers like Diana Krall, Ella etc. and have quite a few jazz cd's. So, any jazz guitarists out there in tennis land or jazz enthusiasts.

Yeah, I used to play jazz guitar. I grew up in NYC and lived in the West Village for about 12 years, so I played in a lot of clubs with a lot of awesome people. Joe Pass is terrific and a very nice guy. I used to listen to and learn a lot from Tal Farlow, Johnny Smith, and George VanEpps - classic masters of jazz guitar. I haven't played in years and really miss it. Are you taking lessons or are you trying to teach yourself?

caesar66
09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
If you're into fusion, I saw Al Di Meola last year and was blown away. I like to pretend that I am adept at jazz, but I'm really more of a rock/blues player.

bluegrasser
09-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I used to play jazz guitar. I grew up in NYC and lived in the West Village for about 12 years, so I played in a lot of clubs with a lot of awesome people. Joe Pass is terrific and a very nice guy. I used to listen to and learn a lot from Tal Farlow, Johnny Smith, and George VanEpps - classic masters of jazz guitar. I haven't played in years and really miss it. Are you taking lessons or are you trying to teach yourself?

I'm going through a book called ' Jazz Guitar' then I have a DVD by Jimmy Bruno that I'll tackle next. BTW, I purchased an Eastman archtop last night, actually traded my mexi Strat, Epi dot and some greenbacks. The guitar is amazing in playability, workmanship, and tone.
Why don't you play anymore - just curious.

AlexP
09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Bill Frisell is coming here soon and so is Pat Methany, can't wait to see them.

bluegrasser
09-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Bill Frisell is coming here soon and so is Pat Methany, can't wait to see them.

Sweet - do you play at all..

North
09-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm going through a book called ' Jazz Guitar' then I have a DVD by Jimmy Bruno that I'll tackle next. BTW, I purchased an Eastman archtop last night, actually traded my mexi Strat, Epi dot and some greenbacks. The guitar is amazing in playability, workmanship, and tone.
Why don't you play anymore - just curious.

I stopped playing because I started a career that pretty much took over my time. When I pick up a guitar now in any spare moments, I can't play the way I used to and I get very frustrated.

I don't know the Jimmy Bruno DVD. If you can find any books by Howard Morgen, those are great. Also (this will really date me) see if you can find any of the jazz guitar books by Mickey Baker.

I have a Les Paul special jazz model. I also have an old hollow body that plays pretty funky blues/jazz. And, believe it or not, I've always found it helps my technique to work out a piece on this beautifully sonourous classical guitar I have. You can't hide poor technique on a guitar like that where you can hear every note crystal clear. Of course, Brazillian jazz sound better on the classical anyway.

bluegrasser
09-21-2007, 05:05 AM
I stopped playing because I started a career that pretty much took over my time. When I pick up a guitar now in any spare moments, I can't play the way I used to and I get very frustrated.

I don't know the Jimmy Bruno DVD. If you can find any books by Howard Morgen, those are great. Also (this will really date me) see if you can find any of the jazz guitar books by Mickey Baker.

I have a Les Paul special jazz model. I also have an old hollow body that plays pretty funky blues/jazz. And, believe it or not, I've always found it helps my technique to work out a piece on this beautifully sonourous classical guitar I have. You can't hide poor technique on a guitar like that where you can hear every note crystal clear. Of course, Brazillian jazz sound better on the classical anyway.

Joe Pass played and recorded some with a classical guitar.....

Joeyg
09-21-2007, 05:15 AM
I like to listen to Stanley Jordan. I wish I could play like he does. Very long fingers.

AlexP
09-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Sweet - do you play at all..Guitar - not so much, I have a basic understanding of how to play but that's about it. I play lots of piano, have been playing for about 12 years and I just ventured into jazz a couple of years ago, I mean it's pretty tough with so much theory involved. I also play a few winds and some percussion.

spinny
10-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I was a working jazz musician for years. I play saxophone. There is a book coming out by my friend Dan Axelrod, himself a world-class jazz guitarist. Its a biography of Tal Farlow. Dan lived with Tal for two years in the mid 1970s. Ayway, there will be a CD with this book. Im playing tenor, Tal on guitar, Dan, piano.I can post a funny pic of myself with too much hair and a happy Tal Farlow, just after he came out of retirement.

Trinity TC
10-28-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm going through a book called ' Jazz Guitar' then I have a DVD by Jimmy Bruno that I'll tackle next. BTW, I purchased an Eastman archtop last night...
The Jimmy Bruno tapes and DVDs are great. I picked up the rudiments of jazz chording from the Mickey Baker books that North mentioned and an old article in Guitar Player where Jerry Hahn laid out the chord changes to "I Got Rhythm" in tab. First jazz chord I learned...Cmaj7 on the third fret...going from thick to thin strings...X-3-5-4-5-X. I've got lots of time on my hand so I'm working on my Lenny Breau repetoire and taking a shot at learning the Gypsy Jazz Django Rheinhardt style from DVD. It's really counterintuitive stuff. :p

By the way, I still play a 1948 Gibson ES-350 that I bought in 1977. Disco was big back then and there was not much live music happening. Used to have a Polytone Mini-Brute II but it was stolen a couple years back from a studio that I had it stored at.

bluegrasser
10-29-2007, 05:06 AM
The Jimmy Bruno tapes and DVDs are great. I picked up the rudiments of jazz chording from the Mickey Baker books that North mentioned and an old article in Guitar Player where Jerry Hahn laid out the chord changes to "I Got Rhythm" in tab. First jazz chord I learned...Cmaj7 on the third fret...going from thick to thin strings...X-3-5-4-5-X. I've got lots of time on my hand so I'm working on my Lenny Breau repetoire and taking a shot at learning the Gypsy Jazz Django Rheinhardt style from DVD. It's really counterintuitive stuff. :p

By the way, I still play a 1948 Gibson ES-350 that I bought in 1977. Disco was big back then and there was not much live music happening. Used to have a Polytone Mini-Brute II but it was stolen a couple years back from a studio that I had it stored at.

Sounds like you're on your way. I traded all my guitars to get an Eastman & a George Benson sig Ibanez ( GB 10 ) but i really miss my tele, so I'm thinking of building one with parts etc. BTW, is you Django DVD by John Jorgeson ?

max
10-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Good luck with the jazz: I'm getting into the folk boom stuff in a big way.

Serve em Up
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm more into the fusion stuff. Al Dimeola is great and a like Eric Johnson alot.

Trinity TC
10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds like you're on your way. I traded all my guitars to get an Eastman & a George Benson sig Ibanez ( GB 10 ) but i really miss my tele, so I'm thinking of building one with parts etc. BTW, is you Django DVD by John Jorgeson ?
An Ibanez George Benson too? That's a surprisingly versatile guitar for an archtop. I use a Tele to play jazz too...neck pickup with the tone turned down. It's great because it doesn't feedback like the hollow body. The Django DVDs are by Marcelo Damon and Denis Chang. It's the height of anal retentive guitar geekdom.:shock: