PDA

View Full Version : Posting Large Order to Australia

NickOlsen
09-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I am wondering if you know anything about Australian Customs and what the right size to order etc to minimize the expense.

If someone can contact me via email, I am looking to spend approx $1,000 AUD ($800 odd USD)

Thanks

Nick.

nolsen@zenithgroup.com.au

OrangeOne
09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Nick,

I have just gone through this. Google something like "australian customs import internet" or similar, and you'll find a really informative page at the customs / gov site on importing goods into australia, there's one page written and clearly targeted at OS internet purchases, like TW or E-Bay.

I'm in Sydney, and I wondered what the rules were. Turns out your order is right around the magic number. The rules I found on the above page stated that anything <$1000 Aussie, INCLUDING postage, was customs and GST free. If you trip OVER that amount, then some kind of duty / GST / Both apply to the WHOLE amount.

Hope that helps, you can email me via my profile if you need more guidance.

OO

woodie55
09-19-2007, 03:19 AM
And make sure that whatever you do, do not use Federal Express or you will pay customs no matter how much your order is - they act as an agent for Aust. Customs.

Mad iX
09-19-2007, 03:22 AM
I've gone over AU$1k before and it was a real pain. Had to get an agent to retrieve the goods from customs and he wansn't cheap, especially on top of the GST.

baseliner87
09-19-2007, 04:17 AM
why not make two orders, would that work?