PDA

View Full Version : Prince Original Graphite with "Matte" finish

sunmin77
09-20-2007, 08:53 AM
For all of you POG experts. I just got a Prince Original Graphite MP and it is different than any POG I have ever seen. To start with, it has a Matte finish, much like the Prince TT Graphite. It is the "Straight Shaft" version. On the grip it has a sticker that states:

"Playtest sample"
Weight: 330 grams
Balance: 307 mm.

Has anyone else seen this version? If so, have you played with it and how does it play?

KFwinds
09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, that's the 20th Anniversary version. TW sold them several years back. I never hit with one, but they were supposed to play identical to the other Graphites.

sunmin77
09-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the response, KFWinds.

I thought the 20th anniversary version also had a glossy finish, however? Also, although this racquet is not strung yet, I think that it may actually have a 16/20 pattern.

TripleB
09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Yep, 20th anniversary edition...got one on my "Wall of Frames". To me it didn't seem to have as much power as the standard POG OS racquets.

TripleB

OneHander
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
For all of you POG experts. I just got a Prince Original Graphite MP and it is different than any POG I have ever seen. To start with, it has a Matte finish, much like the Prince TT Graphite. It is the "Straight Shaft" version. On the grip it has a sticker that states:

"Playtest sample"
Weight: 330 grams
Balance: 307 mm.

Has anyone else seen this version? If so, have you played with it and how does it play?

Did you buy the racket retail or get it another way? I am considering a switch to the POG mid and am interested to hear what the product looks like when purchased today retail.

LafayetteHitter
09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
The 20th had the matte finish. The one I think is being mentioned here was on the auction site recently. It mentioned having a different string pattern than the standard POG.

sunmin77
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Does your 20th anniversary have a 16x20 string pattern?

Just curious.

I think that this is not exactly the same racquet as the POG Mid that TW is selling. I think Prince was trying to see whether to introduce a 16x20 patterned version of this racquest and that's why they made a "playtest version".

Anyway, any other input would be appreciated. Also, I will try to post some pictures of the frame after I string it, to show you the stringing pattern.

NLBwell
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I have a Prince 20th anniversary mid with 16x20 strings. The sticker on the inside of the shaft says PATTERN 14 MAINS / 18 CROSSES, however, It has a glossy finish. Prince sent to the tennis store I bought it from (cheap) as a demo racket. No grommet holes have 2 strings in them - it is strung correctly.

improlumens
11-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Summin, did you ever get a chance to play with your matte POG?

I think I have got one like yours, also from ****-mine has a playtest sticker with a listed weight of 332 grams. Also, the date listed on mine is March of 1999. That would seem to preclude these frames from being anniversary edition graphites-wouldn't it? The lack of an authenticity sticker also supports this.

When was the POG introduced?

Also, the online seller I bought this from listed the pattern on this as 18 X 19, but the frame indicates 14 X 18.

MichaelChang
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
to OP and improlumens:
if you got this from the auction site, it is a Prince Pro Room test racket. It is a 16*19 or 16*20 string pattern racket, with a POG Midplus paint job, the exact POG paint job such that it will say 14*18, although obviously the drill holes on the grommet is more than 64. It is NOT a POG. Let me repeat, it is NOT a POG.

Also, somewhere on the throat there might be a Prince engineering code, a 4 or 5 digit start with T. It is also possible the engineering code is not there. The engineering code (I heard) could identify where (which factory) this racket is made.

improlumens
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info, MichaelChang. Much appreciated!

Have you hit with one of these, and if so how does it differ from a POG? The weight and beam are similar to a stock POG. I don't know the flex, and I would assume the denser string pattern would sacrifice some of the spin potential of the POG in exchange for stability.

I haven't strung mine up yet, but seems like a quality frame.

BDAZ
12-15-2007, 06:57 PM
bump... i'm also curious about these "pro room" pog's that i see pop up on the auction site. they peak my interest so i wonder how they play compaared to a standard pog mid. any, more elaborate, info would be appreciated. thanks.

MichaelChang
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I have never hit with them, but if what you are really after is a POG mid, I wouldn't assume this Pro Room to be close.

Blank
09-05-2008, 09:43 PM
to OP and improlumens:
if you got this from the auction site, it is a Prince Pro Room test racket. It is a 16*19 or 16*20 string pattern racket, with a POG Midplus paint job, the exact POG paint job such that it will say 14*18, although obviously the drill holes on the grommet is more than 64. It is NOT a POG. Let me repeat, it is NOT a POG.

Also, somewhere on the throat there might be a Prince engineering code, a 4 or 5 digit start with T. It is also possible the engineering code is not there. The engineering code (I heard) could identify where (which factory) this racket is made.

So technically, it won't have the same specs as POG, am I right to say that?

and btw, anyone knows the specs of the matte "POG" ?

Blank
09-07-2008, 12:21 AM
^^ anyone can confirm?

Blank
09-08-2008, 07:35 PM
yohoooo....anybody?