PDA

View Full Version : Speedport Black Owners...

JMBenson
09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm getting my demo list together and I'm trying to determine if the Speedport Black is worth a demo. The only reason I'm a little tentative right now is because according to the TW review they list it's inadequacies as control and inconsistency with regard to groundstrokes. Is this true? The racquets I'am going to demo are the PDC, APDC and Head Extreme. The Black is borderline right now...

Grin
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
hey, i have just about the same problem. i was
going to demo 4 raquets and ive came up with them

aeropro drive w/cortex
pure drive roddick w/ cortex
ksix-one 16-18(topspin) 18-20(control)
and possibly the prince o3 speedport/head microgel

so for you i would throw out the prince and put in the ksix-one
good luck

JMBenson
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I may do that.

AlpineCadet
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I had problems spraying the ball on ground strokes, but my serves picked up some heavy pace/spin. Kevlar helped tamed the power of the gigantic sweetspot, but it wasn't enough to help me stay with the racket.

JMBenson
09-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the input 'cadet.

AlpineCadet
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I was actually frustrated with the frame, and ended up wanting to have nothing to do with it, lol. The Speedports really do help increase the racket-head speed, while increasing the sweetspot at the same time. I tried adding weight to the upper hoop to slow down the head, while getting stiffer strings to help tame the increase in power, but none of that was enough to get me grooved into the frame.

PED
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I demoed all the sticks you mentioned and the black was fun to hit with but I would not want to own it. I preferred the speedport tour as it was a bit heftier and solid. I already had the apd-c, and i really liked the PDR in the std length. You might also consider the microgel radical pro. It weights 11.7 and has better control than the extreme pro. The rad pro is a nice stick and i would consider owning it. In the end, my son ended up with the aero storm which is a serious piece of equipment.

JetFlyr
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I REALLY, REALLY liked the Speedport Black. The first time I hit with it, it had the O-ports installed. The racquet had a lot of feel, although it made a different noise than what I was accustomed to coming from the Wilson nPro Open. The touch I was able to get with this racquet was incredible, and it did wonders for my one-handed backhand. It took a little bit of getting used to on the forehand--mainly because I was able to bring the racquet through the stroke a little faster than I was used to. Same thing with the serve. Overheads feel really solid. Slice backhand very nasty.

I was hooked after the first hitting session.

I was lucky enough to demo it in the String-Port configuration the following day. The string ports bring back the normal sound and traditional feel. All the strokes were the same.

The jury is still out on which configuration I like better, but I've already sold the Wilsons and am looking for one more Speedport Black.

I tested both configurations with PSGD 16g, unknown tension, but probably midrange.

I have played now strung with Pro Hurricane 17g, and Excel 16g crosses. I really like this setup (installed when I bought the racquet).

Two Fister
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm liking my speed port black more and more. Seems to have a bit more pop than my aeroprodrive+ which has 6g of lead at 3&9. I can definitely serve better with the black. Seems a bit easier to obtain accuracy of placement and also seems to have more pop and spin on the serve.

It does seem quite easy to generate racquet head speed with the black and maybe that is what throws people off at first. My forehand is pretty whippy to begin with and in the beginning, I did fly a couple of balls out, but only with my forehand. This didn't happen with my two handed backhand, which is fundamentally a more solid stroke, yet not as much of a weapon as my forehand.

Today, in two sets of singles, I only remember flying one such "out of control" type of shot today. The black showed very nice control today. I think I'm getting used to the racquet head speed and not trying to "swing for the fence" on my forehand, which is a good thing for me cuz of my overly whippy forehand to begin with.

I think a lot of the people who would have trouble controlling a puredrive or aeroprodrive, might have trouble with the speedport black. If you have no trouble controlling the puredrive, I'll bet you would have no trouble controlling the black.

Tried with StringHole Inserts first and now I'm using the StringPort Inserts. So far I'm liking the StringPorts. Less harsh at impact. Feels more like the old O3 Tour, but MUCH less muted. With the StringHoles, I felt like I should put a vibration dampener on it to cut out the ping sound and the vibration.

Strung with GosenOG Micro 17 at 58 lbs.

YMMV

seacard
09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I REALLY, REALLY liked the Speedport Black. The first time I hit with it, it had the O-ports installed. The racquet had a lot of feel, although it made a different noise than what I was accustomed to coming from the Wilson nPro Open. The touch I was able to get with this racquet was incredible, and it did wonders for my one-handed backhand. It took a little bit of getting used to on the forehand--mainly because I was able to bring the racquet through the stroke a little faster than I was used to. Same thing with the serve. Overheads feel really solid. Slice backhand very nasty.

I was hooked after the first hitting session.

I was lucky enough to demo it in the String-Port configuration the following day. The string ports bring back the normal sound and traditional feel. All the strokes were the same.

The jury is still out on which configuration I like better, but I've already sold the Wilsons and am looking for one more Speedport Black.

I tested both configurations with PSGD 16g, unknown tension, but probably midrange.

I have played now strung with Pro Hurricane 17g, and Excel 16g crosses. I really like this setup (installed when I bought the racquet).

Can you tell me more about the comparison between the Black and the nPro? Those are the two racquets I'm strongly considering.

Azrael
09-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but how do the stringport inserts feel? I've heard that O3's are the most comfortable racquets on market, but do the stringport inserts make these O3's less comfortable?

galatti
09-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but how do the stringport inserts feel? I've heard that O3's are the most comfortable racquets on market, but do the stringport inserts make these O3's less comfortable?

Not true. It keps as confort as aways with string ports inserted. Just as other O3s. Never tried with string holes though.

galatti
09-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm getting my demo list together and I'm trying to determine if the Speedport Black is worth a demo. The only reason I'm a little tentative right now is because according to the TW review they list it's inadequacies as control and inconsistency with regard to groundstrokes. Is this true? The racquets I'am going to demo are the PDC, APDC and Head Extreme. The Black is borderline right now...

It's impressive how people are affected by such reviews. Before TW review, the black was considered a perfect frame, a must have and so on. After the review, everybody starts to say the same thing the review said.

The black is a solid frame and realy worth a demo. it is not by far as incosistent as APDC, PDC, or other medium-low power racquets.

JMBenson
09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to demo the Black...

JetFlyr
09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Can you tell me more about the comparison between the Black and the nPro? Those are the two racquets I'm strongly considering.

Their spec's are VERY close. I think the Black is just a tad bid heavier, maybe half an ounce. I don't have specs with me to compare, so you'd better research this yourself. It's headlight, like the nPro Open. The Speedports allow me to swing through my stroke with less resistance, so that really negates the extra mass (albeit small). They're both 27", 100 sq in.

I like having the ability to "tinker" with the ports, because that's something I like to do, and I haven't decided on a setup yet.

They're very similar, and, coming from the nPro Open, I was able to switch with very little difficulty. It took a match or two before I was able to lock-on with my serve placement, but now it's the same as before, but probably a few m.p.h. faster. I haven't had a chance to take the radar gun out yet, but my hitting partners say it has more "pop," and it feels like it does.

bluetrain4
09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree with a lot of the posters. The Speedport Black was fun to hit with, but I wouldn't buy one. I used both grommet set-ups w/ PSGD at around 60 lbs. It was fun to see the massive spin and power I could generate. I liked the non-string hole grommet better. The sweetspot was huge. Volleying was unbelievable and groundstrokes were "interesting." On the one hand it was fun to rip winners and I really liked slicing with this racquet. But, I just couldn't consistently controll it. I like to take a full swing, and this racquet would be a disaster for me in a match. Obviously, I could lead it up, use a stiff string set-up, which would probably be great, but I think that would be too hard on my arm.

I good racquet, just not for me.