PDA

View Full Version : AG300 - add a little weight into the handle, reasonable?

goforgold99
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about adding a little weight into the handle of my AG300.

Just in principle, would this be reasonable, considering the the racquets specifications and balance: AG 300 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DAG300.html) ?

Basically the reason I want to do this, is because I want to increase the overall weight of the racquet, but not change the swingweight, respectively make it more headlight like the AG200.

pow
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
It will become more head light... you won't lower swingweight by adding though and yes it is quite reasonable considering the weight and balance of the racquet stock.

goforgold99
09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
It will become more head light... you won't lower swingweight by adding though and yes it is quite reasonable considering the weight and balance of the racquet stock.
Hi, thx for answering!

I'm not really experienced with racquet customization..
What would be the best way to add the weight into the handle? I'm thinking about putting in pieces of hardened silicon

JediMindTrick
09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
The best way is to put on a leather grip.

bee
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I put a little added weight on the handle of nearly every racquet I play with.

My method is quite simple. This last racquet (AeroPro Drive Cortex) I order with a 3/4 grip. I could felt I could add a little size to it, so I just put 3 wraps of lead tape around the butt-flare and lower handle, put some tape on it, the wrapped it with a Tourna Grip II. Works fine.

I have also taken the padded grip off and done something similar to the naked handle shaft and then reapplied the padded grip or just wrapped with to overgrips, which is not a bad way to get some improved feel.

I have never felt the need to take a butt cap off a put weight inside as some people do.

Good luck with it. The extra handle weight sure seems to help with my serving, but does decrease the manueverability of the racquet and the fatigue factor somewhat. You might like it. I generally do, but I've over done it some times.

Bee

PED
09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree with the post above. I've done the same thing to my apd-c. I ended up with around 8g in the handle. I recommend buying the babolat lead tape. it weighs double what the standard tape weighs so you can get the same weight added while using less tape. You really can't feel any added size with the lead.

I pull off the grip and wrap the lead about 1 inch up from the butt cap. You can start out small with 2g and play and see how you like it. Then it's just a matter of adding more until you get the weight you want. I started at 2 and ended up at 8g. I really like the headlight balance of my apdc now plus it's super stable on volleys as well.

The AG300 would be really nice with some lead in the handle. I played with it a lot this summer and loved the control i got with it. I found the ag200 to be a bit too heavy and the 300 to be a bit light. I wish they'd make an AG350 that weighed around 11.7. I'll be waiting awhile I think. The key is to add lead incrementally and record what you've done and how you liked it so you can refer back to the changes.

goforgold99
09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
thx guys!

I'll try that.

paulfreda
10-13-2007, 04:00 AM
I also add weight in the handle of all my frames and it adds some 40 grams.
This makes them much more stable and solid.
See my post about the AG300 here ....
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160708&highlight=AG300

Michelangelo
10-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Aerogel 3Hundred is very underweight. I think 9 out of 10 people will lead it up (including me if I really buy that stick).

LPShanet
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about adding a little weight into the handle of my AG300.

Just in principle, would this be reasonable, considering the the racquets specifications and balance: AG 300 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DAG300.html) ?

Basically the reason I want to do this, is because I want to increase the overall weight of the racquet, but not change the swingweight, respectively make it more headlight like the AG200.

As others have said, adding weight to that frame is a great idea. It will play more like a real "player's racquet". The overall weight of the AG300 is quite low, and it's not head light, so your plan is a good one, and depending on the amounts you add, it should have just the effect you're talking about.