PDA

View Full Version : anyone else besides me ever had the wishy washy feeling about racquet weights?

Alafter
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll sometimes think "man I want a light weighted, maneuverable feeling racquets" and then some times later after playing with a lighter racquet I'll think "Man I want some hefty feeling" and then start trying to make it heavier, and then back, and forth.

Anyone ever been wishy washy like this?

travlerajm
09-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Not anymore.

I used to use light racquets - then heavy. But now that I've found an optimum weighting, I have all of my racquets weighted similarly.

~12.5 oz and 365-370 SW.

The static weight is less important than the swingweight. When I drop the swingweight much lower than this, I start to feel my racquet getting pushed around against heavier balls on returns, and I start to lose stability on volleys.

If I go much higher swingweight than this, I start to lose power on the serve. So I stay in the 365-370 range, and keep my frames in the 12.5-oz range. If I go much lower than this on the static weight, I noticeably lose depth control on volleys. That's why you don't find any pro doubles players with racquets lighter than 12.5 oz.

Alafter
09-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I am wondering how important the racquet is to a low level recreational player. I have not learned to feel racquets as I have seen better players have (my coach can feel it, this other guy who is awesome said he can feel it, and when i grab the same racquets as them i dont feel anything).

So, personally I am still seeking to 'feel' racquets. I dunno, maybe feeling the racquets is something you acquire through the process of becoming a better player?

Sorry for rambling, just confused and frustrated why I cannot 'feel' racquets where others claim they can.

sweetslice
09-21-2007, 01:26 AM
I've been kidding myself that a heavier racket will be better for me and have in the past bought 'pro' rackets that were just not right for my game. And evey time I borrow a mate's liteweight racket for a quick bash I start playing really well with them. So now I'm getting something that just feels right and helps me to play my best tennis. You need to hit with as many rackets as you can and read their specs in between points, noting them down in your mind. It will soon become clear what you play best with and you can use that as a starting point for buying a racket. Good luck.

tbini87
09-21-2007, 02:55 AM
i have trouble with this now and then. start with something heavy and realize it is too demanding. then go to something light and realize i could use something more stable. then back to something heavy... haha. soon i will settle on a racquet that is just about right (i hope) that will have the best of both worlds.

0d1n
09-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Go the MSpeed/Magnetic Tour way ... heavy but easy to swing ;).

Richie Rich
09-21-2007, 04:05 AM
figured out that i can't play with anything under 11 oz strung weight. 12 oz strung seems to be my comfort zone.

fuzz nation
09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Maybe I have unhealthy brain chemistry, but most days I'm fine with my good ol' Prostaffs, then occasionally I'm really off and feel a whole lot more comfortable with my lighter backup frame. I just keep two different racquets in my bag. Some of our pals here are dead set against this, but it's worked fine for me.

The really interesting days are the ones where my heavier go-to frames feel too darn light...