PDA

View Full Version : How safe is buying a used racket on the classified section?

horttiger22
09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice on whether or not the racket you get on here is the racket it is said to be. Since there are no ratings or anything on here. Just thinking about picking one up but kind of nervous, since there are fakes out there. Thanks again for the advice.

neverstopplaying
09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I've done many trades, purchases and sales without a problem. Many posters have pictures available and some have references.

Check how many posts have been done by poster and for how long he has been on TT. Don't trade with an unknown.

Anyway, life=risk.

krz
09-20-2007, 08:10 PM
yea I would only do business with someone who has referenes and a lot of posts. Or make them take a picture of the product and tell them to write osmething on a piece of paper and put it with the product so you know its with them.

so far I've bought 3 things from here and all of them came as described.

SFrazeur
09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I have gotten a few racquets from the Classified section. . . No problems.

-SF

louis netman
09-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice on whether or not the racket you get on here is the racket it is said to be. Since there are no ratings or anything on here. Just thinking about picking one up but kind of nervous, since there are fakes out there. Thanks again for the advice.

Check references and you'll be fine...

diredesire
09-20-2007, 09:48 PM
There are also some tips to succesfful trading in the sticky ;)

As far as legitimacy, I'd say as long as you're careful and deliberate with your trading, you should be A-OK

AlexP
09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I've sold one and bought one and both times the transaction was smooth.

rasajadad
09-21-2007, 04:43 AM
I've done racquet sales as seller and buyer, racquet trades, and string trades. Always a positive experience. You can check feedback here and sometimes on the big auction site.

backcourt
09-21-2007, 05:46 AM
NOthing but positive experiences if the 6 or so transactions I've had the racquets have been as good as advertised or better. Just check the reference board.

tfm1973
09-21-2007, 06:29 AM
i've bought 4 racquets from people on these forums. no problems for me. i did make sure to buy from someone who's a regular on these forums though.

basil J
09-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I've done about 6 transactions as seller, buyer and trader and all have been positive. Good communication is key..

Amone
09-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I sold one, myself, once. The transaction wasn't that smooth-- because I didn't know what I was doing. However, I recieved payment, and as far as I know he was the proud owner of a new DNX10 MP. This was, apparently, not an unusual occurence (the working out in the end, not the noobishness of the seller)

Bronc10is
09-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I have sold 2 rackets and sold a few for my coach..so far my experiences have been very positive, I am close to buying my first racket off of the classified section, hopefully it goes smoothly also..I tyhink it is very important to add, paypal to any deal makes both sides more confident in the deal, I didnt use paypal before because I dont have an account, my brother does..but it is a real good comfort to doing business on here.

abenguyen
09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
i have bought racquets, strings and stuff a few times now. everything has gone well. if you are worried check references like others said and you will figure it out

Pathy01
09-22-2007, 05:17 AM
I've done a few trades both buying and selling and it's always been smooth. I agree with the point to avoid dealing with someone with few or no previous posts unless you can work out some way of protecting yourself. I think almost everyone here is honest with the classifieds.

Duzza
09-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Yeah, no problems at all. Sold/bought several racquets with no poor sellers.

couch
09-22-2007, 05:44 AM
The first and only rule is buy the seller, not the racquet. Pretty simple when you think about it.

Hobomagic
09-22-2007, 06:11 AM
So far so good with me 4 transactions.

ximian
09-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I've sold and bought many, many rackets on the TW section, and only once have I had any problems. That was when the seller's rating of the racket was pretty far off. In that case I managed to get my money back minus shipping, but overall I'll never trade with that guy again.

But the point being is, out of 30+ deals only one went slightly south. That's pretty good and I'm confident on the people buying and selling on TW. You just need to make sure the person you're dealing with provides you with good pictures and has some feedback. If he's a new user, the risk obviously goes up a bit.

AmericanTemplar
09-22-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm in the process of buying a racquet from the classified section right now. I checked references and everything looks good. I'd say about 9 out of 10 people are honest so I work that 10% chance of losing money into my decision of whether or not to buy at the asking price; that way I'm not that bummed if things don't worked out.

I've been scammed many times in life, and overall I would say without hesitation that I would rather go through life with my policy of giving people the benefit of the doubt and being ripped off on occasion than go through my whole life not trusting anybody and never losing anything material. I know quite a few people with the latter policy and they are generally miserable, unpleasant people.

AC Tennis
09-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I've traded, bought and sold about 20 rackets in the past 5 years on the boards, the last transaction about a month ago. All but one went very smoothly. One guy took two of my rackets and ran. I posted my experience on the board and about 10 other people had been taken by the same guy. That was about 5 years ago, and I haven't had any problems since. As everyone else is saying, check references. What I do is if the person has good references, I will ship simultaneously. As I've got good references, if I am dealing with an unknown person, I ask them to ship first, and I will ship after I get their racket/payment, etc. If they are unwilling, no problem, I just let the deal go. Give it a try, the TW boards are great. In the past 5 years I've bought 3 new rackets, but by trading, I've gotten to play with about 15 different frames!

garbage
09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Also had a 100% success rate with the 5 or 6 purchases I've done through the boards. I have to add that checking references is fine, but do also check that the people writing the references aren't just creating multiple users just to give themselves fake positive references - if all the references are from new users, that's alarm bells for me.

AlpineCadet
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
What do you do when there is a new member on this message board who doesn't have any referals/references? What happens when he won't provide any proof that he has the items/rackets? What also happens when this person says he refuses to sell the rackets to you once you have asked for SOME type of proof or another? Would that be considered suspicious for you?

autumn_leaf
11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
What do you do when there is a new member on this message board who doesn't have any referals/references? What happens when he won't provide any proof that he has the items/rackets? What also happens when this person says he refuses to sell the rackets to you once you have asked for SOME type of proof or another? Would that be considered suspicious for you?

there should be big-hubangus warning signs lighting up if this happens. never buy something from someone not willing to show proof.

AlpineCadet
11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I thought so myself, and wrote a reference for this New User and now this user is lying about things and trying to defame/lie about what has actually been said. Despite all my warnings, someone still bought rackets from this user. This is actually really dangerous (and I'm sure it'll continue to happen,) and I think some people in this world are just truly gifted in ripping people off.

OrangeOne
11-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Isn't that rather obvious?

AlpineCadet
11-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Isn't that rather obvious?

Well apparently not, actually. There's a thread that I wrote in references for this person, and it seems I'm in the wrong and getting a lot of flak for not trusting my instincts. :rolleyes: It's a sad world.