PDA

View Full Version : 2 Babolat racquets for intermediate (3.0 NTPR) player

sepandee
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
If you had to choose 2 Babolat racquets for an intermediate player with the following playing characteristics, what would you choose?

24 years old
150lb
Male
5ft7"
Very good runner
medium-long strokes but still weak. Ball falls just before baseline when hit properly (passing the net by a 5-10inches), but if given too much height usually falls out.
Forehands much better than backhand.
No spins, training to develop some spin skills.
25% first-serve success rate
Played for 1 year on a regular basis 10 years ago, but since then has stopped playing/plays a few times a year, so has lost a lot of his abilities/skills, but is able to PICK THEM UP RELATIVELY QUICKLY.
Weak wrist/injured arm
Overall, intermediate player (3.0) with the ability to improve rapidly

So, 2 Babolat racquets. If you can name 2 oversize and 2 regular, that would be even better.

Thanks

Alex132
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
not APD Cortex for sure lol

Alafter
09-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Hehe i am following you here to haunt you on this topic (huh). Playing by the rules of this thread, I will go with

PD with Cortex.

PD 107 with Cortex.

Dangus
09-20-2007, 07:43 PM
If you must, go with the Pure Storm Tour.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPSTT.html

Overall, I wouldn't recommend using a Babolat if you have arm problems.

galatti
09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
If you had to choose 2 Babolat racquets for an intermediate player with the following playing characteristics, what would you choose?

24 years old
150lb
Male
5ft7"
Very good runner
medium-long strokes but still weak. Ball falls just before baseline when hit properly (passing the net by a 5-10inches), but if given too much height usually falls out.
Forehands much better than backhand.
No spins, training to develop some spin skills.
25% first-serve success rate
Played for 1 year on a regular basis 10 years ago, but since then has stopped playing/plays a few times a year, so has lost a lot of his abilities/skills, but is able to PICK THEM UP RELATIVELY QUICKLY.
Weak wrist/injured arm
Overall, intermediate player (3.0) with the ability to improve rapidly

So, 2 Babolat racquets. If you can name 2 oversize and 2 regular, that would be even better.

Thanks

My point of view you are not 3.0, you sound like a 2.5. No offense :)
Nevertheless, any raquet around 10.5 oz, head size 100 and almost even balance will fit your needs.

Alafter
09-20-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL you are right. I think he's about the same level as me, and god knows I aint a 3 by any distance.

Commando Tennis Shorts
09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Hehe i am following you here to haunt you on this topic (huh). Playing by the rules of this thread, I will go with

PD with Cortex.

PD 107 with Cortex.

not if he doesn't produce a lot of spin, as he stated. . .and if he's not a 3.5 yet, pure storm tour probably wouldn't be the best for him. . .whoever said APD cortex, good call. . .regular pure storm too

sepandee
09-21-2007, 05:24 AM
My point of view you are not 3.0, you sound like a 2.5. No offense :)
Nevertheless, any raquet around 10.5 oz, head size 100 and almost even balance will fit your needs.

No offense taken! Yes, I might be a 2.5, but I can get to 3.0 really quickly. It's just a matter of remembering the strokes and movements. I mean, at 6pm on thursday i couldn't hit 1 out of 8 serves in, they either hit the ground waaaay before the net or fell all the way near the baseline. By 7pm, i was having a 25% success rate, i was bending my knees and leaping forward, and making much stronger shots.

Of course I'm no where near where i was when i was 15, but I'll get there... quickly!

tfm1973
09-21-2007, 06:44 AM
assuming you aren't weaker than the average guy - i've always been a fan of starting guys off with a LOW powered 11 ounce to 11.5 ounce racquet. racquets that are too powerful only make it harder for you to learn proper full strokes.

sepandee
09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
assuming you aren't weaker than the average guy - i've always been a fan of starting guys off with a LOW powered 11 ounce to 11.5 ounce racquet. racquets that are too powerful only make it harder for you to learn proper full strokes.

You think the wilson k factor k zen is such racquet? Which babolat racquet falls in the category of which you speak?

tfm1973
09-21-2007, 08:11 AM
don't have any experience with the k-zen. have a friend who's a decent 3.5 player hitting with the ksix-one team. it's rated at a shade less than 11 ounces but i was impressed with how stable it plays. not a high powered racquet at all. it's definitely helped him go from a 3.0 to 3.5 player with much smoother, full strokes. just by specs i figure the k-zen is probably more maneuverable since it's head light but possibly not as stable and solid.

for the babolats - i think the aero pro drive cortex and pure drive roddick that i've hit with are just a lot of fun. for me they have way too much power but i do have friends who are playing with them at the 3.0 - 3.5 level and it seems to work for them. i do notice though at their level they aren't getting even half of the spin possible with those racquets because they aren't generating the racquet speed necessary. if they had nice full strokes - they would get even more out of these babolats.

i really want to hit with the pure storm (standard and not the tour version). i hear good things about it - decent pop but very, very good control.