PDA

View Full Version : Another thought on ball machine vs. wall

lidation
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
I bought a Silent Partner Ultra Lite last week and I have played with it a few times. And I have also played against the wall twice. I found out that the ball machine is nice but playing against the wall is also a very good training aid for grooving the strokes.

The ball machine is not necessarily better than the wall. They are just two different training aids that target different aspects. I can't really put my feeling into words yet.

I will keep using these two training aids simultaneously.

flatpick
09-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Lidation:

You're absolutely right. A combination of using a ball machine, hitting against a wall, and hitting with a partner works best. Mix in some lessons with a pro, and you are on the road to being the best tennis player you can be.

lidation
09-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Lidation:

You're absolutely right. A combination of using a ball machine, hitting against a wall, and hitting with a partner works best. Mix in some lessons with a pro, and you are on the road to being the best tennis player you can be.

Yes, playing all these three strenghten different aspect of the game. Before I bought the ball machine I heard people saying things that almost glorify the machine but it turns out to be just another nice training aid.

Mike Danger
09-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah same here, I think the problem is that you cant anticipate the ball comming at you like you can with a wall or a partner. Im am going to try to wire up a light that the ball might hit before it gets shot out.

SoBad
09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I hate the wall and the ball machine, I only like to practice with person. I think if you communicate effectively with person, he can do everything that a wall or a ball machine can do, and more.

Mike Danger
09-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Problem A: you need a person to show up
Probelm B: no one (you arent paying) wants to feed you balls all day
Problem 3: a person wont be as consistent as a ball machine.

SoBad
09-28-2007, 10:27 PM
There are always old guys around who can hit a very consistent ball, and they are happy to do what you ask for practice, because they are happy to be on the court with better player. And in most reasonably populated areas those are far easier to get a hold of than a wall or a ball machine.

Mike Danger
09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Um??? well I have a ball machine and a wall...

dman72
09-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Ball machine is the best training aid by far. The wall doesn't let you know whether your shot was going to be in or out, deep or short.

I had 2 sessions with a ball machine when my backhand sucked, and it improved more than it had in years of playing. If I had the money and space to keep one, I'd buy it in an instant.

rjkardo
09-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Ball machine is the best training aid by far. The wall doesn't let you know whether your shot was going to be in or out, deep or short.

I had 2 sessions with a ball machine when my backhand sucked, and it improved more than it had in years of playing. If I had the money and space to keep one, I'd buy it in an instant.

Wendy and I are pretty lucky. We live next to a school, which gives us a large brick wall to hit against (the school building); we live 347 meters from the tennis club (measured on Google Earth) and we have a TT + ball machine. All of them can be good sources of practice, each has a benefit. The wall is just a few feet from our house and it makes a good 'concentration' partner. Just hit your strokes and work on form and concentration. No need to gather up balls, no need to carry the machine anywhere.

When we go to the courts, we put the machine in the car and roll it out. It is good when you want a little more reality in your shots, especially since you can tell if your shots are in or out. Down side is having to pick up balls and the fact that you don't get 'human' style changes in the balls coming at you. Often, however, that is good because it helps you groove a stroke, especially if you are having problems with a shot.

Of course, you should hit with another person too. Keeps you aware of the different shots, spins, mishits and other unpredictable things coming off the racquet of an opponent.

In short, there is something good about all 3.

Rod

Mike Danger
09-30-2007, 08:36 PM
hey! I used to live in spring, thank god that nightmare is over!

kinneyrhs
10-04-2007, 06:47 AM

I mostly agree with what Dman is saying. A wall wont "hit" a ball back to you with topspin deep and then hit a short cut shot, a wall wont lob it up for you perfectly and allow you to practice overheads. Although there are benefits to both, I honestly think (in my opinion) that a ball machine is much better than a wall...