PDA

View Full Version : Movers of 2005?

K!ck5w3rvE
11-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Who do you think will emerge as the big movers of next year? We had Joachim Johansson, Soderling, Monfils (later this year), etc...what are your thoughts? It doesn't have to be a huge rankings jump, just an important jump....(ie. from 60 to 15 is an important jump, while 370 to 100 isnt as big).

I think Monfils will establish himself in the top 70, and Todd Reid might move up the rankings as well. Tsonga also is a great show if he improves his consistency.

Also, who will drop out? Agassi will probably retire sometime next year, probably after the US, but who else do you think?

Will anyone rise to challenge Fed?

Vlad
11-05-2004, 10:47 PM
If we look at the rankings right now there is one guy who I think had a miserable year and I expect him to be back to top 10, top 5 next year. I am talking about Ferrero. Haas should be able to make a push towards top 10 once again and he has the game to accomplish that. I expect guys like Nalbandian and Coria to have a better year than this. Big question about Guga how will he recover after second surgery? If he does recover well, I certainly expect him to make some noise, especially on clay.
I don't know about all these young french guns since I haven't seen them in action, but I can say that Gasquet should start moving up. Nadal is another guy who had been injuried this year.
Can anyone challenge Fed? That remains to be seen. There are very few players who can beat him when he is on. No one had been able to do it this year though ( I am talking about big matches..)

Ryoma Kun
11-05-2004, 11:01 PM
someone who will drop in rankings is gaudio......

i think next year safin has the potential to reach #1 + a grand slam or 2

VictorS.
11-06-2004, 12:35 AM
I know Safin's record against Federer is pretty one-sided. However, I honestly think the guy can challenge Federer if he is playing like he is currently. The way he's played in the last two TMS series has just been superb. He hits such powerful and penetrating shots. He can hit a winner from virtually anywhere on the court. Safin has proven he can beat an in-form Agassi (TMS Madrid) and Lleyton Hewitt. You have to think he's Federer biggest challenge when he's playing his best.

As for players moving up in the rankiings next year:

I like Haas' chances of getting back in the top 10.

However I think the jury is out on JC Ferrero.

Feņa14
11-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Yes I think that Gaudio will drop very quickly. I also think that Safin can make a push for # 1 and possibly finally win in Australia!!

Schuettler will continue to go down. I also think that Roddick could drop slightly to maybe about 4 or 5.

Maybe Greg Rusedski could make a push for the top 20/30 he has been playing some good stuff recently.

Tim Henman WILL win a grand-slam!! Haas could make it back into the top 5.

I cant wait to see how it all works out.

thejackal
11-06-2004, 08:30 AM
I think Mirnyi can make a push to the top 15-20 if he stays consistant. At his best his S/V game is deadly, even more so than Henman's.

perfmode
11-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I think Nadal will get to the top 20 next year.

Down_the_line
11-06-2004, 10:26 AM
To answer K!ck5w3rvE's question, this may be a bold prediction but I think that in 2005, Safin is going to finally get his mental game together and rise to the occasion to challenge Federer. Alas, we have tennis's new big rivalry.

Tennis Guy
11-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I agree with everything postive that has been said about the greatest player ever. (I think some of you know of him as Marat Safin.) :D

Kobble
11-06-2004, 11:34 AM
The movers

Safin- Seems like his up cycle is nearing.
Ancic- If he can avoid injury he should maintain a top 20 spot.
Ferrero- Too good to stay away for long.
Nadal- The guy just loves playing tennis. I would bet on anyone with that personality.
Mello- he is a very crafty player who is getting more and more confident.
Andreev- The guy is just plain good.

The steady ones

Nalbandian
Federer
Agassi
Moya
Hewitt

The droppers

Gaudio- He is good, but I still think he will lose points.
Fish- His confidence seems to be hurting.
Roddick- Not by much, but I think it will be tough for him to stay in the top 5.

The unpredictables

Philippoussis
Blake
Dent
Tursunov

radon8
11-06-2004, 10:04 PM
I saw Nadal play recently. I don't remember who he played against (Spadea?), but he was losing, and he used every stalling, delaying tactic he could think of, including calling for a bogus injury timeout and getting a 3 minute leg rubdown just when the other guy was about to serve set point. After that I have no respect for the guy. I wouldn't cross the street to see him play. My two cents. Go Safin!

VamosRafa
11-06-2004, 11:54 PM
It's funny you have such a great recall of Nadal's match against someone you can't quite recall. :?:

Welcome to the Board.

jings
11-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Agassi may well feature in the faller category simply because of how much he decides to play. He's certainly been troubled more this year than any i can remember by injuries (other than post wrist op.) His schedule may be even more focussed on the big stuff next year. I wish him well but he'll do well to be even threatening for a place at TMC in 2005 I would say.

THE ANIMAL
11-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Marcos Baghdatis

david aames
11-07-2004, 06:21 PM
What is it with the Nadal haters? I mean, the guy is barely 20 and is gonna play a Davis Cup final.

VashTheStampede
11-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I think Nadal will make a big boost in his ranking. He could have done it this year by making a big run at the French, but because of that foot injury he didn't play in it.

counterpunch
11-07-2004, 06:42 PM
What is it with the Nadal haters? I mean, the guy is barely 20 and is gonna play a Davis Cup final.

He is good, but I just don't get the argument. I could play a davis cup final if Pmac decided to choose me. Would that make me good?

perfmode
11-07-2004, 07:14 PM

He is good, but I just don't get the argument. I could play a davis cup final if Pmac decided to choose me. Would that make me good?

Yes. If you're good enough to be chosen for a Davis Cup final when most kids your age are just hitting partners for the davis cup team, you are damn good. (Scoville Jenkins is a Davis cup hitting partner for Roddick and the team)

MARK ANDERS
11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Felo (Feliciano Lopez), Robin Soderling & that French guy (remember.....French are pathetic wussys) Gael Monfils.

bobby
11-08-2004, 03:03 PM
I think that Roddick has great potential to challenge Federer next year. Roddick's game has already greatly improved over the past two years, and whereas I don't see Federer's game improving much, I think that Roddick can improve his game enough to step up to Federer's level. Just think about the first set of Wimbledon this year. Roddick was hitting the ball harder than I've ever seen anyone hit before and was actually able to overpower Federer. If he could play near that same level day in and day out, Roddick would finally be able to give Federer a run for his money.

rafael
11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Marcos Baghdatis

I want to see this guy kick some ***.

THE ANIMAL
11-09-2004, 05:54 AM
He is only young and if he plays anything like or gets better then when he played against Federer at the US open he should get far.

tennis_pro
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
I saw Nadal play recently. I don't remember who he played against (Spadea?), but he was losing, and he used every stalling, delaying tactic he could think of, including calling for a bogus injury timeout and getting a 3 minute leg rubdown just when the other guy was about to serve set point. After that I have no respect for the guy. I wouldn't cross the street to see him play. My two cents. Go Safin!

I guess Nadal hasn't changed at all in that regard.

Sid_Vicious
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I think that Roddick has great potential to challenge Federer next year. Roddick's game has already greatly improved over the past two years, and whereas I don't see Federer's game improving much, I think that Roddick can improve his game enough to step up to Federer's level. Just think about the first set of Wimbledon this year. Roddick was hitting the ball harder than I've ever seen anyone hit before and was actually able to overpower Federer. If he could play near that same level day in and day out, Roddick would finally be able to give Federer a run for his money.

Yeah, yeah tennis_pro, that's nice. But, this is my favorite post.

tennis_pro
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah, yeah tennis_pro, that's nice. But, this is my favorite post.

There are a couple of pearls:

I know Safin's record against Federer is pretty one-sided. However, I honestly think the guy can challenge Federer if he is playing like he is currently. (...) You have to think he's Federer biggest challenge when he's playing his best. .
Yes I think that Gaudio will drop very quickly. I also think that Safin can make a push for # 1 and possibly finally win in Australia!!
I think Nadal will make a big boost in his ranking. He could have done it this year by making a big run at the French, but because of that foot injury he didn't play in it.

Feņa14
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
There are a couple of pearls:

Schuettler will continue to go down. I also think that Roddick could drop slightly to maybe about 4 or 5.

Maybe Greg Rusedski could make a push for the top 20/30 he has been playing some good stuff recently.

Tim Henman WILL win a grand-slam!! Haas could make it back into the top 5.

I cant wait to see how it all works out.

Well I got the Gaudio and Safin ones right :)
Schuettler did drop off, even dropping out of the top 100 at one point.
Roddick did drop to 5 in August, so did ok there. Rusedski made it back up to 29 over the summer.

Henman didn't get that major, whilst Haas only made top 15, not top 5. Those were my only two failures, not bad overall.

Goosehead
03-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Roddick did drop to 5 in August, so did ok there. Rusedski made it back up to 29 over the summer.

Henman didn't get that major, whilst Haas only made top 15, not top 5. Those were my only two failures, not bad overall.

you were optimistic about henman winning a major at that point (late 2004)..i had given up by then, he was 30yrs old but he did make the u.s semi but was destroyed by Federer I think.

BeHappy
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM

Well you could hardly be blamed for Haas with all the injuries and bad luck.

Scheuttler had a strange career. He had some really strong runs late in his career out of nowhere. I remember at Wimbledon for about a set he looked like he might be able to take Nadal out.

Feņa14
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
you were optimistic about henman winning a major at that point (late 2004)..i had given up by then, he was 30yrs old but he did make the u.s semi but was destroyed by Federer I think.

He did well in the majors in 2004, so I was still optimistic. I remember he took a set off Coria in the French Open semi's, the thought of a Brit playing Gaudio to win a major (and on clay of all surfaces!) was huge back then :) he also made the semi's of the US Open, as you mentioned.

Unfortunately it all went downhill after 2004.

Well you could hardly be blamed for Haas with all the injuries and bad luck.

Scheuttler had a strange career. He had some really strong runs late in his career out of nowhere. I remember at Wimbledon for about a set he looked like he might be able to take Nadal out.

I was always a big fan of Schuettler, he did over achieve at times (Wimbledon v Nadal, as you said, is a good example). I liked his awkward looking game, his strokes were never pretty, but that's what drew me towards him. Players like Hrbaty, Kiefer, Mayer etc.. i'm a sucker for the ones with the unusual looking strokes :)