PDA

View Full Version : Beginner racquet for 45 year old

almerickso
09-21-2007, 12:46 AM
My 45 year old friend wants to start learning tennis but after hitting with an Prince TT Cloud and an MFil 300 developed a tender shoulder.

He's since recovered and would like to try again. Any setup you guys can recommend?

He is about 1.80m tall and 65kg. Quite athletic (plays soccer every week).
Hope this helps.

Appreaciate all your suggestions:)

volusiano
09-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Sounds like this may be due to bad techniques instead of due to the racket. Do you know whether his form is OK or not? Maybe he's hitting with too much arm instead of with his body (hip/shoulder rotation and the whole kinetic chain thing).

I look at the Prince TT Cloud's spec and boy, that stiffness rating of 68 is VERY stiff. Maybe this contributes to the sore shoulder.

But the MFil 300 doesn't seem that stiff or light or head heavy, ingredients for tennis elbow or arm/shoulder injuries.

I would recommend to lose the TT Cloud and stick with the MFil 300 for now, and try to get some proper coaching to improve his form. Changing to a different stick at this point may not help much if the real cause is bad forms as a beginner.

almerickso
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
yes, since he is just learning tennis, his strokes are not yet developed and he exerts a bit too much due to eagernes.

he only hit 2 times before the injury, one with either. he is going to go for coaching and i was hoping to get him a racquet that is the least likely to give any more problem.

my friend told me that O3's and speedports may do the trick cuz he hypothesized that the strings have more "give" and reduce shock? i'm quite skeptical and wanted opinions and other suggestions.

flatpick
09-21-2007, 07:55 AM
For a middle-aged beginner you need an arm-friendly racquet and to take lessons from a pro. Otherwise, you are likely headed for arm/shoulder problems.

Steve H.
09-21-2007, 08:07 AM
the O3's are a soft hit but very muted -- very little feel of the ball. He might also consider a Radical oversize, or the new reissue of the Donnay Pro One oversize -- both under $100 from TW, Actually he shouldn't be hurting himself with the M-fil either, just tell him to take it easy, as the saying goes, "stroke it, don't poke it!"

volusiano
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
my friend told me that O3's and speedports may do the trick cuz he hypothesized that the strings have more "give" and reduce shock? i'm quite skeptical and wanted opinions and other suggestions.

I have the O3 Tour and while I think it's arm friendly, I wouldn't attribute it to the O ports enabline more 'give' to the string thus arm friendly. That technology is designed more for a better sweet spot than specifically for being arm friendly.

I would say stick with the MFIL 300 for now. But if he has money to spend and wants to get a proven technology for an arm friendly racket, go for something like the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G or the newer and slightly more expensive ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 equivalent.

DanVito
09-21-2007, 04:32 PM
You can try a Wilson Ncode Nfury OS, or Prince speedport blue, the nfur is only 99 dollars while speedport is 260? or so . Id get the nfury because its lighter and bigger head which is designed to give older players an extra boost of power and I used it to start with and im 15, i started a year ago and now i use a k factor 95

netman
09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Lessons, lessons and more lessons.

Because he is an athlete already, I bet he is swinging hard and has bad technique. There is no racquet that can overcome these two flaws.

BTW, soccer is great for helping with tennis footwork, but useless for developing the shoulder and upper body strength needed in tennis.