PDA

View Full Version : 10.3 to 10.8 ounce, Solid, Spin Friendly, Controllable Power?

TripleB
09-21-2007, 04:56 AM
I've never EVER considered a standard length racquet under 12 ounces before last year. At that point I tried the RDX500 Midplus and found a racquet with solid feel, excellent spin, very good control, in an 11.7 ounce racquet.

This year I playtested the Yonex RDS002 'Light' and was extremely impressed with this racquet because it offered many of the same features as my RDX500 Midplus but in a lighter (and slightly more powerful) frame.

Last night a former student of mine was demoing the Wilson KSurge and let me try it...for all of about 10 minutes :-( . When hitting with it (for only ten minutes) I would have guessed it weighed in around the 11 ounce mark. Solid feel, good power, but lacked the topspin I desperately need for my game. I was surprised to see that T-W has it listed at only 10.3 ounces...played much heavier than that.

So this led me to wonder: are there any racquets out there in the 10.3 ounce to 10.8 ounce weight range that offer a solid feel, excellent spin potential, good pop (especially on serves), and better than average control?

I tried the TW Racquet Finder but for some reason it didn't include a lot of the newer racquets.

Thanks.

TripleB

0d1n
09-21-2007, 05:15 AM
I honestly think you should stay with the 11.x oz rackets that swing as their weight indicates or the 12 oz rackets that swing like 11 oz rackets (both options easier on the old arm...) instead of using 10 oz rackets that swing like 11 oz ones.
The latter just doesn't make sense to me ...

Ronny
09-21-2007, 05:16 AM
dunlop m-fil/aerogel 300

martin
09-21-2007, 05:33 AM
You should try the m-fil 300 with 3 grams each at 3 and 6 o'clock and 10 grams lead along the handle.
It plays great then and real solid. The m-fil 300 is much more powerful than the 300g so don't worry about that.

flatpick
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
The Head Microgel Extreme Team is light weight but has a remarkably solid feel, especially at the net. It also has lots of controllable power and is very spin friendly.

TriggerHappy
09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Wilson NTour /2 would fit the bill and also take a peek at the babolat rackets.

Thomas Bird-Itch
09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
in your quest for lighter frames, what you will notice is that stiffness and balance usually increase. they're often easier to swing and more powerful [given a certain swingspeed] than their heavier, more flexible counterparts. mishits tend to be less forgiving and your swing speed dictates the pace. a heavier racquet is better for all around control and stability - something you may not be able to benefit from yet; eg, awkward strokes, poor footwork, general lack of timing/preparation, or strength.

I like the Dunlop's too. The Aerogel 300 is not 10.8oz, more like 11.3, but you won't really notice the extra weight. it is the most powerful though. the feeling is like a solid, stable 300G. the m-fil 300 is a bit more boardy to me, but what i'm using now. it's in the middle in terms of power/stability.

ollinger
09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
You should buiild yourself a Vantage. The 16x19s are widely spaced and real spin monsters, and the Dunlop-like tapered head provides excellent control and very good power (mains are longish).

TripleB
09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
eg, awkward strokes, poor footwork, general lack of timing/preparation, or strength.

I'm not sure what the problem has been lately....shoulders have been giving me problems-not pain but lack of flexibility and quickness. They just don't seem to have the same 'range of motion' as they have in the past and it seems like so much more effort to get the racquet into position off the forehand wing as well as much more effort to get a lot of racquet head speed on my serve. Thus the move toward a lighter racquet.

BTW, there are only a few racquets that seem to fall in that weight range in standard length: Dunlop AeroGel 5Hundred, Head Flexpoint FXP Radical Team, Head Flexpoint Heat, Prince 03 Hybrid Hornet, Prince 03 Hybrid Spectrum, Volkl DNX 7, Volkl DNX V1, Volkl V1 Classic Silver, Wilson KFactor KSurge, Wilson nSix-Two nCode, Wilson KFactor KZen Team.

TripleB

counterpunchingrules
09-21-2007, 11:33 AM
imo prince o3 red or blue

Bottle Rocket
09-21-2007, 11:52 AM
So this led me to wonder: are there any racquets out there in the 10.3 ounce to 10.8 ounce weight range that offer a solid feel, excellent spin potential, good pop (especially on serves), and better than average control?

Isn't that why the Pure Storm Team exists?

Hell, you might even considering trying the Pure Drive, the racket that completely dominates this category.

I've either owned or played with many of the other rackets mentioned above, including the MFil-300's and a bunch of those Prince rackets. As far as I'm concerned, none of them come close, in any category. The Dunlop's don't have the forgiveness or the solid feel of the Babolats. More than that, even at high tensions, I had a hard time controlling the ball with the Dunlop's when I really went for it. That is when the control of the Babolat's really shines.

The bottom line is that if spin, serving power, and spin potential are your priorities, you're the perfect condidate for Babolat.

Now if I remember right, haven't you had some significant playing time on a Storm?

caesar66
09-21-2007, 11:55 AM
wilson nps or K6.1 team, string it up with poly in the mains or full poly and you'll have the spin you need. Solid as a rock, for me.

Hobomagic
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Two words for you PURE STORM. Exactly matches your description.

Anton
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I've never EVER considered a standard length racquet under 12 ounces before last year. At that point I tried the RDX500 Midplus and found a racquet with solid feel, excellent spin, very good control, in an 11.7 ounce racquet.

This year I playtested the Yonex RDS002 'Light' and was extremely impressed with this racquet because it offered many of the same features as my RDX500 Midplus but in a lighter (and slightly more powerful) frame.

Last night a former student of mine was demoing the Wilson KSurge and let me try it...for all of about 10 minutes :-( . When hitting with it (for only ten minutes) I would have guessed it weighed in around the 11 ounce mark. Solid feel, good power, but lacked the topspin I desperately need for my game. I was surprised to see that T-W has it listed at only 10.3 ounces...played much heavier than that.

I tried the TW Racquet Finder but for some reason it didn't include a lot of the newer racquets.

Thanks.

TripleB

MG Radical - you'll love it

rosenstar
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Isn't that why the Pure Storm Team exists?

Hell, you might even considering trying the Pure Drive, the racket that completely dominates this category.

I've either owned or played with many of the other rackets mentioned above, including the MFil-300's and a bunch of those Prince rackets. As far as I'm concerned, none of them come close, in any category. The Dunlop's don't have the forgiveness or the solid feel of the Babolats. More than that, even at high tensions, I had a hard time controlling the ball with the Dunlop's when I really went for it. That is when the control of the Babolat's really shines.

The bottom line is that if spin, serving power, and spin potential are your priorities, you're the perfect condidate for Babolat.

I totally agree.

Anton
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually I've been hitting with Fischer FT Pro #1 (black and red 300g) and I really think it's EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Radical is close but is a bit heavier then your range and has a closed pattern which makes it feel less "spin friendly" - it does have just a bit more juice over Fischer though.

gerikoh
09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
wilson kfactor team asian version!
if you like to go to 11oz go for the asian k90!

Techniques
10-04-2007, 06:55 PM
The Yonex RDS 002 Light is awwsome. Go for that IMO if you want more tospin. If gives great topspin and more importantly control. I love it.

Timmahhh
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
pure storm teams are nice for a nice racquet

Bundey
10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Try out the aero gel 300. Also try the K Zen team. A friend of mine uses it, and for its lightweight it is stable. Also offers great spin.

Swingman
10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Another vote for the aerogel 300. I recently switched to it from the Yonex RQ7. I wanted slightly more power and control. The aerogel is stable, spinny and has controllable power. To me it feels almost as stable as the DNX9 but it's more forgiving and moves much easier in the air. I prefer it over the RDS002 because it offers more feel, slightly more power, and a bigger sweet spot. I want to point out though that the demo I got from TW was fantastic, felt heavier than the advertised weight and hit a fairly heavy ball, almost like a 12 oz racquet. The new aerogel that I bought feels lighter and now I am experimenting with lead tape to replicate the heavier feel of the demo. It's definately worth a demo.

vkartikv
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
TripleB, what do you think about volleys with such light(er) frames? Especially when handling balls coming with some 'weight' and action?

galatti
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
I like my Price black. It fits your needs.

couch
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM
TripleB, what do you think about volleys with such light(er) frames? Especially when handling balls coming with some 'weight' and action?

It somewhat cracks me up every time I see this but an 11 oz racquet (in the right hands) handles heavy balls, hard balls, fast balls, weighty balls, etc. just fine.

I've been using an 11 oz. racquet for 5-6 years now and face some of the better players in our area and as long as you have proper technique and use your legs it's not a problem at all.

Heck, I know one of the pros in town that uses a 9 oz stick and he's one of the best volleyers around. Don't believe the hype all the time. It's simply personal preference. Some people prefer heavier frames, some people prefer lighter frames.

abrahavt
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Try the Yonex RDS 11 or the RQis Tour 2

LES
10-05-2007, 07:14 PM
It somewhat cracks me up every time I see this but an 11 oz racquet (in the right hands) handles heavy balls, hard balls, fast balls, weighty balls, etc. just fine.

I've been using an 11 oz. racquet for 5-6 years now and face some of the better players in our area and as long as you have proper technique and use your legs it's not a problem at all.

Heck, I know one of the pros in town that uses a 9 oz stick and he's one of the best volleyers around. Don't believe the hype all the time. It's simply personal preference. Some people prefer heavier frames, some people prefer lighter frames.

I agree with you that it depends on the player. But I used to use a sub 11 oz Head Ti Fire Tour Edition that hit awesome when I was hitting with players with not a lot of pace. But if I was playing guys who hit a heavy ball the racquet would twist a lot. I remedied this by adding lead weight to it. So there is something about weight that increases stability. The added weight also hits the ball harder too.

etd
10-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Head Flexpoint Heat or Wilson K Six-One Team.

couch
10-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I agree with you that it depends on the player. But I used to use a sub 11 oz Head Ti Fire Tour Edition that hit awesome when I was hitting with players with not a lot of pace. But if I was playing guys who hit a heavy ball the racquet would twist a lot. I remedied this by adding lead weight to it. So there is something about weight that increases stability. The added weight also hits the ball harder too.

Yes, you are right....to a certain extent. As with everything in tennis, it depends on a lot of different variables. Weight is good, as long as you can handle it. ;) Always an interesting debate. :)

TripleB
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Depends on the racquet...some feel a lot more solid than others.

My favorite light racquet at the net (actually from all over the court) is the Yonex RDS002 Light. Lightning quick at net (10.9 oz, 6 pts HL) and extremely solid. Great combination for lazy volleyer.

TripleB