PDA

View Full Version : Pickleball ... Anyone try it?

Serve em Up
09-21-2007, 05:37 AM
I was at my high school daughters Back to School night. Their PE teacher said the kids were learning how to play "pickleball"

I looked it up on the Pickleball association website. It looks like ping pong played on a full size tennis court with a wiffleball.

The web site said it is one of americas fastest growing sports. I'm guessing that means that it grew 400% this year and there are now 4 people that play it.

Anyone ever try it?

jinsol
09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
yeah we played it for gym its ok we used wooden paddles as in no rubber layer like a ping pong paddle yeah its ok if you have four people we played on courts that on each side of the net were about from the net to no mans land thats about the size we played on. the net was way lower
the wooden paddles and the plastic balls on a gym floor...eh idk the only reason it was fun was because it was lke tennis except the balls didnt bounce near as high it was so low so me and my friends just used a foam ball its not near as fun as tennis though

Tchocky
09-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a hybrid between paddle tennis and ping pong.

xtremerunnerars
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
It's not alll that hard for people who are decent at ping pong but suck at tennis. (Most of the American population)

We played it in racquet sports and everyone was horrible. The kid who I played with was the only other person in the class on the tennis team and we massacred everyone. We won the badminton, pickleball, ping pong, and tennis tournaments and we were basically 3.5-4.0 tennis players.

The sport was great when I played against him but it's certainly not as fun as tennis.

JRProstaf9
09-21-2007, 11:25 AM
We played it in gym class during highschool... not bad for a decent laugh. All the tennis players got into and were messing around the whole time.

Banks
09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
played it a few times. the courts were basically badminton courts with the net along the ground. It was fun, when you get the hang of it you can put some nasty spin on those wiffle balls aswell.

ConnecticutLacoste
09-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I played it in gym. It's pretty fun.

Mastermind
09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah I played it in Freshman year of high school, at the same time that I was on JV team, so I had some kind of concept of how to hit the ball. My friend Wes and I ruled our gym class.

Hot Sauce
09-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Played it in high school, it's fun. Doesn't come close to tennis though.

J011yroger
09-22-2007, 04:16 AM
Played in H.S. Looked around for some here, but saw that it was mostly out west.

It is the big fun. But like the other poster above, I won pickleball, tennis, and badminton for my school.

J

Pathy01
09-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Sounds interesting. I'd be curious to try it out, wiffle balls can definitely be made to do some crazy curving.

J011yroger
09-22-2007, 05:17 AM
It is not really a whiffleball, it is softball sized, and the holes are evenly distributed and round, so it wont curve the same as a whiffleball.

J