PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker 11 (Standard) in Hand: What next??

BounceHitBounceHit
09-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Greetings,

After weeks of reading all that's been written here about the BB11 I couldn't resist the urge to call up TW and request a demo. ;) After all, Boris WAS one of my favorite players, and I'd dearly loved many of the Volkl 10 series frames of times past (and present).

Well, the BB11 arrived today and will be put to the playtest this weekend. Expect the usual obsessive compulsive run-down, including comments on fit and finish, grip, and of course a detailed accounting of its performance in various aspects of the game. I will be hitting Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, so I should have plenty of opportunity to put it through the paces.

My first blush comment is that it looks cool, and the grip is more 'Wilson-ish' than past models..............more to follow!!

Best,

CC

BreakPoint
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Can't wait to see what you have to say about the BB11, Craig! :D

But if I was a betting man, I'd bet you will still like your K90 better. ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
09-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Can't wait to see what you have to say about the BB11, Craig! :D

But if I was a betting man, I'd bet you will still like your K90 better. ;)

I always try to keep an open mind, but as all here are aware, am VERY fond of the K90. ;)

Best,

CC

tennisntn3477
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Best of luck with the demo, Craig! The Becker 11 is a very interesting stick - demo'd it and the Becker V1 earlier this summer. Enjoy the weekend.

BounceHitBounceHit
09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Best of luck with the demo, Craig! The Becker 11 is a very interesting stick - demo'd it and the Becker V1 earlier this summer. Enjoy the weekend.

Thanks! I am always curious to know about new frames, even if I don't anticipate changing. Guess that's why the call it a 'hobby'. ;) Best, CC

Bolt
09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks! I am always curious to know about new frames, even if I don't anticipate changing. Guess that's why the call it a 'hobby'. ;) Best, CC

Or a sickness ... ;)

hacker
09-21-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm looking forward to your review. I'm in the same boat. I'm happy with my DNX10 Mid, but just have to try the BB11. My demo arrives on Monday. :-)

jayserinos99
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
...and the grip is more 'Wilson-ish' than past models.......

Does anyone know if you can replace the older Volkl pallets with these newer "Wilson-ish" shaped newer pallets?

BounceHitBounceHit
09-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Or a sickness ... ;)

I will see you Sunday, BB11 in hand!! ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Or a sickness ... ;)

P.S. Yes, Bolt you can hit it too!! ;)

Bolt
09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
P.S. Yes, Bolt you can hit it too!! ;)

Dr. Evil .... :p

Michelangelo
09-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Kinda hit with it today. First I'm very impressed by its spin potential despite the 18x20 string pattern. It generates spin just as good as other 16x18 or 16x19 with similar head size, but seems to have better directional control. I demoed it with Donnay Pro One midplus and oversize side-by-side, it generated spin even a bit more than Pro One midplus. Very comfortable and enough power for baseline and serve (although I'd wish a bit more power). Finally the sweetspot feels true to the headsize (Volkl's famous by its relatively small sweetspot). I'm not a big fan of Volkl but this is definitely one of the few sticks I like. I'd wish slightly more flexy for extra feel.

Note: I ordered a 4-1/2 grip size demo stick, but the actual thing feels like 4-3/8.

AndrewD
09-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know if you can replace the older Volkl pallets with these newer "Wilson-ish" shaped newer pallets?

Yes, and vice versa.

BounceHitBounceHit
09-22-2007, 11:29 AM

Yes, I think you can. BUT the new pallets are not 'true' Wilson shaped, just CLOSER to them in comparison to the 'old' Volkl grips. ;) CC

samster
09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Folks here will have to wait a little longer for Craig's review on BB11 Standard. I am sorry to inform you all that his demo session with BB11 was derailed after he got his hands on my Cayman TNT-90.

He swore that he never used the TNT-90 before but his play showed otherwise, which included heaters in the service corners at 110 mph and nasty drop shots and netplay.

vkartikv
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Somehow I feel that the BB 11 will not live up to expectations. Putting BB's name on a racquet - that could only mean trying to replicate the old Vilas frame that he used under those puma pcs pjs....And I don't think that replication has ever been done - atleast not successfully.

Craig, I'd like to know your opinion on this frame and how it compares with the dnx 10 MP. Basically, is it really worth replacing one's dnx 10 with a BB11?

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Somehow I feel that the BB 11 will not live up to expectations. Putting BB's name on a racquet - that could only mean trying to replicate the old Vilas frame that he used under those puma pcs pjs....And I don't think that replication has ever been done - atleast not successfully.

Craig, I'd like to know your opinion on this frame and how it compares with the dnx 10 MP. Basically, is it really worth replacing one's dnx 10 with a BB11?

Greetings!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make that comparison, since (believe it or not!) I've never hit a DNX 10 MP at all.

A VERY short version of my experience so far (and I hit it again today with Bolt, and plan to use it to take on some of Tim's junior studs this afternoon) is 'nice, but not my cup of tea'. ;) More specifically, it's a bit too flexy and powerful for my tastes, but a very comfortable and forgiving hit.

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Folks here will have to wait a little longer for Craig's review on BB11 Standard. I am sorry to inform you all that his demo session with BB11 was derailed after he got his hands on my Cayman TNT-90.

He swore that he never used the TNT-90 before but his play showed otherwise, which included heaters in the service corners at 110 mph and nasty drop shots and netplay.

:) Well, I DID play the PS 6.0 85 for 20 years of so, and I think there may be a 'Family Resemblance', if you know what I mean!

Thanks for the props Sam-stah!! ;)

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 09:27 AM

So, how much do you want for those two Cayman TNT 90's anyway?! ;) CC

jeffreyfranz
09-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know if you can replace the older Volkl pallets with these newer "Wilson-ish" shaped newer pallets? Oh, man, is that good news! I have loved Volkl racquets from the first swing but always hated the handles. Wilson happens to have my favorite handle shape. :-D

BreakPoint
09-23-2007, 10:39 AM
A VERY short version of my experience so far (and I hit it again today with Bolt, and plan to use it to take on some of Tim's junior studs this afternoon) is 'nice, but not my cup of tea'. ;) More specifically, it's a bit too flexy and powerful for my tastes, but a very comfortable and forgiving hit.

Ahhh......I knew I should have placed that bet. ;) LOL Sigh...........

J011yroger
09-23-2007, 04:46 PM
So, how much do you want for those two Cayman TNT 90's anyway?! ;) CC

Hey CC/Samster. What is the stiffness like on the TNT 90s? I have to admit that when I saw it, and its 16/18 pattern I said "ooooooh pretty. . ."

Looks to be a heckuva stick.

J

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey CC/Samster. What is the stiffness like on the TNT 90s? I have to admit that when I saw it, and its 16/18 pattern I said "ooooooh pretty. . ."

Looks to be a heckuva stick.

J

The TNT 90 is more flexible than a PS 6.0 85. I think it's 100% graphite, so that probably explains it. ;) CC

mhstennis100
09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
My friend and coach played with it one day. They both said it was one of the worst rackets they've ever tried.

J011yroger
09-23-2007, 05:46 PM
The TNT 90 is more flexible than a PS 6.0 85. I think it's 100% graphite, so that probably explains it. ;) CC

Ah, no Kevlar. Probably a pretty sweet dubs stick anyway.

J

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 06:25 PM
My friend and coach played with it one day. They both said it was one of the worst rackets they've ever tried.

By that I am sure he or she meant, 'one of the worst racquets for THEM they'd ever tried'. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
To clarify: I love that thing. ;) CC

Bolt
09-23-2007, 06:29 PM
By that I am sure he or she meant, 'one of the worst racquets for THEM they'd ever tried'. ;) CC

Having hit your demo, I'm pretty sure they meant one of the worst racquets ever. :)

BounceHitBounceHit
09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Having hit your demo, I'm pretty sure they meant one of the worst racquets ever. :)

Bolt, are you referring to the TNT 90? CC

J011yroger
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
To clarify: I love that thing. ;) CC

I can picture Craig up on stage with Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias singing "To All the Racquets I've Loved Before".

J

Bolt
09-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Bolt, are you referring to the TNT 90? CC

Sorry, no, I was referring to your demo of the BB11. ;)

samster
09-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Definitely it was one of the worst rackets ever. Not sure what racket you are talking about, but it was the worst ever. :-)

samster
09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Craig, I am still waiting for your BB11 review...tick tock...tick tock....tick tock.

BounceHitBounceHit
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Craig, I am still waiting for your BB11 review...tick tock...tick tock....tick tock.

Ah-hah! I hit it again yesterday afternoon and once again this morning. I should have it up later tonight or tomorrow. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I can picture Craig up on stage with Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias singing "To All the Racquets I've Loved Before".

J

".....who've traveled in, and out, my door............." :)

CC

TennisMD
09-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Craig greetings, always interested in your thoughts, I know you have really liked the tour Ten Gen 2, whenever I get over my power thing, I return to the Gen 2, so in your write up if you could spell out the differences in these rkts, it would be appreciated

BounceHitBounceHit
09-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Greetings All,

I had penned several paragraphs when I was 'bumped' :(

Frankly, I don't have the energy to write it all again, so here is the short version.

I see the BB 11 as the next logical step in the Volkl 10 series evolution. ;) Read ahead, and in the end I will explain this statment! ;)

The BB 11 Standard is a 12ounce, 7 pt HL frame that arrived spot on spec w/ a nice, if a bit 'loud', cosmetic.

I found it stable off the ground, but not as accurate as my K90. It also lacked 'feel' from all areas of the court relative to my the Wilson.

Transition shots were good, but 1HBH slice approaches did not 'bite' the way they can with my K90. Further, I was not able to get the kind of spin to which I have grown accustomed off either groundstroke wing.

At net, and on serves and overheads, is where the BB 11excelled. It was stable and offered good 'put away punch' when volleying. Serves (after a bit of 'fiddling') had good 'pop' and directional control. I couldn't get my kicker to 'kick' ear high like I can with the K90, but that might come in time.

The frame was VERY comfortable and easy on the arm.

If I were in the market for a MP player's frame, I'd definitely demo this one (your experience may be different than mine, and in all fairness, the NXT string TW uses for their demos is amongst my very LEAST favorites). However in comparison to other Volkl tennis frames, I would prefer both the Tour 10 Gen 2 and DNX mid owing to their greater spin potential, feel, and 'pop' off both the ground and serve.

So, why is the BB 11 'The Next Logical Step in the Evolution of Volkl Player's Frames'??? Well, it is a MP that is lighter and a bit easier to swing, and that combination of virtues seems to be the rage right now. I suspect it will prove to be favored more by the 'new schoolers' than the old. The latter group will long for a slightly heavier frame with a more open string pattern to help them generate spin using more 'traditional' grips, and will miss the 'feel' traditionally associated with the Volkl line. CC

TennisMD
09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
CC, thanks for the reply. I took out the gen 2 the other night, I have the version Mojo stated was heavier in SW and to my suprise played very well and my opponents, all friendly group, did not notice much dif in pace from this rkt and and the APD cortex. I believe this is do to the fact that the vokl allowed me to hit penetrating shots but kiss the back line more often than the APD and hence the perception of being equal. However the Volkl is so arm friendly it might be worth a go again.

wally
09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I had penned several paragraphs when I was 'bumped' :(

Craig,

When doing "long" posts I'll type it up in MS-Word or some other processor and then cut & paste.

NoBadMojo
09-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Greetings!
studs this afternoon) is 'nice, but not my cup of tea'. ;) More specifically, it's a bit too flexy and powerful for my tastes, but a very comfortable and forgiving hit.

Best,

CC

I've highlighted some operative words..not easy to make a frame flexy and powerful with a dense stringbed for control yet comfortable and forgiving all in one racquet..sounds like an amalgum and combination of the best of several other frames rolled into one

BounceHitBounceHit
09-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I've highlighted some operative words..not easy to make a frame flexy and powerful with a dense stringbed for control yet comfortable and forgiving all in one racquet..sounds like an amalgum and combination of the best of several other frames rolled into one

Mojo!

Good to have you back (if only for a short post!)

Yeah, I think many people are going to really like the BB 11. As I said in the review, I think it's tough to draw firm conclusions when hitting demos strung with a string you don't care for and at a tension probably 6-8 pounds lower than you'd (I'd) like. Unfortunately I don't think the good folks at TW are going to go for me customizing their demo frame! ;)

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
CC, thanks for the reply. I took out the gen 2 the other night, I have the version Mojo stated was heavier in SW and to my suprise played very well and my opponents, all friendly group, did not notice much dif in pace from this rkt and and the APD cortex. I believe this is do to the fact that the vokl allowed me to hit penetrating shots but kiss the back line more often than the APD and hence the perception of being equal. However the Volkl is so arm friendly it might be worth a go again.

I would opt for good depth and less pace everytime. Depth kills. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM

Yes, the BB 11 is very, very comfy. ;) At our age (I think I remember you are in your 40's, yes?) arm safety is a key concern. CC

samster
09-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Return Of Nbmj...about Time!

samster
09-30-2007, 07:13 PM
The boards have been lacking some action since the depart of the great NBMJ. All the sudden, all these threads about how great mid-sized rackets are showing up again! Let's hear it for the midpluses!

BounceHitBounceHit
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
The boards have been lacking some action since the depart of the great NBMJ. All the sudden, all these threads about how great mid-sized rackets are showing up again! Let's hear it for the midpluses!

I think those Prince Precision Responses looked mighty good in your hands my friend! ;) 97si RULES. CC

gregmiata
10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Craig:

How about a comment on the new grip shape. You seem to be in the perfect position to answer this question: If the original Volkl grip is at 1 on a 1-10 scale and Wilson is at 10, where would the new Volkl grips shape land? Is it a significant difference and how much difficulty did you find in adjusting between it and your K90 grip?

Thanks!

Greg

BreakPoint
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Craig:

How about a comment on the new grip shape. You seem to be in the perfect position to answer this question: If the original Volkl grip is at 1 on a 1-10 scale and Wilson is at 10, where would the new Volkl grips shape land? Is it a significant difference and how much difficulty did you find in adjusting between it and your K90 grip?

Thanks!

Greg
Greg,

I know you addressed this to Craig, but I thought I could also give you my opinion as well since I've also played with the BB11 and have used Wilsons for some time.

On your scale, I would put the new Volkl grip at 4. It is a bit less rectagular than the older Volkl grips but still nowhere near the Wilson grip shape IMHO. To me, it was still noticeably a "Volkl grip". Anyway, just my opinion, and Craig's opinion may differ. (BTW, I believe Craig also plays with his K90's without the leather grip and no grip at all, just the overgrip, so I'm not sure how much that changes the feel of the grip shape.)

TripleB
10-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Just received the Becker 11 Light for a playtest review. I'll get a chance to hit with it tonight but in hand (and hitting against the wall in my garage) it's got a nice feel to it. I look forward to seeing what kind of power it has compared to the other racquets in the playtest.

TripleB

brownyazn
10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
what is a tnt 90?

BounceHitBounceHit
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Craig:

Thanks!

Greg

Well, the 'new' Volkl/BB grip shape is more to my liking, but not really all that similiar to a Wilson. However it's an easy 'fix' to make a Volkl 'feel' like a Wilson grip, if that's what you want. All you need is Babolat head tape and about 5 mins.

Using the 0-10, I'd say 4-5.

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
what is a tnt 90?

A 'vintage' clone of the PS 6.0 85, but 100% braided graphite. A very nice frame for us 'old schoolers'. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
10-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Craig,

When doing "long" posts I'll type it up in MS-Word or some other processor and then cut & paste.

Excellent idea, and will do!! Thanks, CC

J011yroger
10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Excellent idea, and will do!! Thanks, CC

I would do the same thing, but I wouldn't want to mislead board members into thinking that I could spell.

J

BounceHitBounceHit
10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I would do the same thing, but I wouldn't want to mislead board members into thinking that I could spell.

J

:)

BTW, nice pics from the wedding. Congrats to your mom and to your family.

CC

J011yroger
10-07-2007, 05:11 PM
:)

BTW, nice pics from the wedding. Congrats to your mom and to your family.

CC

Thanks! Had to throw some pics up to show the TW world that I wasn't short and pudgy!

J

BounceHitBounceHit
10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks! Had to throw some pics up to show the TW world that I wasn't short and pudgy! J

Short and pudgy? :confused: In your videos you certainly don't look 'pudgy' or short. CC

BMG
10-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Got a chance to hit with the BB11 (finally) today and was a bit disappointed. Hopefully tomorrow will be more promising. It was strung with a full Klip Legend 18g setup at 57 lbs. I currently use the LM Prestige MP and found that the BB11 didn't have the feel or control that I am used to. Realizing that this is only based on two hours of hitting I can't make any definite conclusions. Even though the Prestige also has a dense stringbed I could hit better kick serves and get better spin and touch on my shots with the Prestige. I really enjoyed volleying with the BB11 and could get used to the crispness and ability to put away more volleys. The Becker was also very comfortable to hit with. I'll give it another effort tomorrow and report back if anything changes. Its a quality racquet but might not be my cup of tea.

Peter Szucs
10-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Got a chance to hit with the BB11 (finally) today and was a bit disappointed. Hopefully tomorrow will be more promising. It was strung with a full Klip Legend 18g setup at 57 lbs. I currently use the LM Prestige MP and found that the BB11 didn't have the feel or control that I am used to. Realizing that this is only based on two hours of hitting I can't make any definite conclusions. Even though the Prestige also has a dense stringbed I could hit better kick serves and get better spin and touch on my shots with the Prestige. I really enjoyed volleying with the BB11 and could get used to the crispness and ability to put away more volleys. The Becker was also very comfortable to hit with. I'll give it another effort tomorrow and report back if anything changes. Its a quality racquet but might not be my cup of tea.

Strange to hear that you missed spin and control from the BB11 compared to the Prestige. Other tell the opposite on these boards. How did you find the power level of the frame compared to your LM Prestige MP?

BMG
10-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Strange to hear that you missed spin and control from the BB11 compared to the Prestige. Other tell the opposite on these boards. How did you find the power level of the frame compared to your LM Prestige MP?

Peter, I was most surprised by the better spin I get with the Prestige. Maybe its as simple as string or maybe its better racquet head speed. Too many variables during an only 2 hr hit with different string setup. I definitely felt less control with the BB. Power levels on both frames are pretty low. Maybe I am just used to the spongy like feel of the Prestige as generally I have thought that was a real benefit of Volkl frames. I am hitting again today and see how it goes.

NoBadMojo
10-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Is the Legend18 your usual string? If not, the ball feel you dont like may be coming from the stringbed and not the racquet. The Legend18 is a bit of an odd duck string and plays noticeable different than the legend17. It also may be a missmatch to the B11 frame. the legend18 is a VERY spinny string and the BB11 is a spinny racquet for an 18mains...when I tried the Legend18 string, I was getting far too much spin. the Prestige is not a spinny frame...... so this all is all backwards to me. Not disputing your experience, but I think it is not the usual experience

BMG
10-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Is the Legend18 your usual string? If not, the ball feel you dont like may be coming from the stringbed and not the racquet. The Legend18 is a bit of an odd duck string and plays noticeable different than the legend17. It also may be a missmatch to the B11 frame. the legend18 is a VERY spinny string and the BB11 is a spinny racquet for an 18mains...when I tried the Legend18 string, I was getting far too much spin. the Prestige is not a spinny frame...... so this all is all backwards to me. Not disputing your experience, but I think it is not the usual experience

What a difference a day makes, :D . First of all I probably posted prematurely yesterday and did not give the BB11 a fair shake for several reasons. 1. I only got to hit yesterday with the BB11 demo for slightly under two hours. 2. It was a very breezy cool day outside, so needless to say the conditions were not ideal 3. I was using a string that I had never used (and was also trying out). 4. I was comparing the frame to a racquet that I had grown accustomed to and had setup completely differently.

Today I got to hit for three sets of singles then two sets of doubles - INSIDE (where's the Advil??!!). The BB11 felt great and performed very well. Since I was playing inside I did not have to deal with the elements and could get a better comparison of the racquet for my game. Without the wind, I was hitting the sweetspot more and also generating some nice spin (on serves and off the ground) - especially compared to yesterday. This frame continues to be comfortable and the volleying was nice and crisp; control on the groundstrokes was much improved. I have adjusted to the string setup (Klip Legend at 57) better and the power level seemed more than my Prestige. Serving speed, spin and placement was excellent. Nice feel today too. So, in hindsight I should have held off posting yesterday until after I played again today for a few hours. And I will be getting the other demo from my buddy tomorrow which is strung with a Legend/Multi hybrid and I will hit with it all week. I really started to dial it in with this frame today and I think the BB11 is a mighty fine racquet. More to follow with the other string job.

NoBadMojo
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
What a difference a day makes, :D . First of all I probably posted prematurely yesterday and did not give the BB11 a fair shake for several reasons. 1. I only got to hit yesterday with the BB11 demo for slightly under two hours. 2. It was a very breezy cool day outside, so needless to say the conditions were not ideal 3. I was using a string that I had never used (and was also trying out). 4. I was comparing the frame to a racquet that I had grown accustomed to and had setup completely differently.

Today I got to hit for three sets of singles then two sets of doubles - INSIDE (where's the Advil??!!). The BB11 felt great and performed very well. Since I was playing inside I did not have to deal with the elements and could get a better comparison of the racquet for my game. Without the wind, I was hitting the sweetspot more and also generating some nice spin (on serves and off the ground) - especially compared to yesterday. This frame continues to be comfortable and the volleying was nice and crisp; control on the groundstrokes was much improved. I have adjusted to the string setup (Klip Legend at 57) better and the power level seemed more than my Prestige. Serving speed, spin and placement was excellent. Nice feel today too. So, in hindsight I should have held off posting yesterday until after I played again today for a few hours. And I will be getting the other demo from my buddy tomorrow which is strung with a Legend/Multi hybrid and I will hit with it all week. I really started to dial it in with this frame today and I think the BB11 is a mighty fine racquet. More to follow with the other string job.

glad you found the time to remove the icebags and post. ;O now your talkin', and more in line with what we;ve discovered.
it took me a while to figure this frame out. there is something about the way they redistributed the dnx material from the inside of the hoop to the outside that changes things around a bit...it feels sluggish based solely on pick up weight and seems to have an unusual amount of weight in the head even though it is ba;lanced pretty headlight....but then you play it and it swings lighter than what you think on most shots. is that what you get? also, if your legend was a new stringjob, perhaps it had to settle a bit for you. the Legend18 is a VERY crisp string and can get boardy reaklly quickly if strung too tight
good you came back to post..many people seem to hit a good frame for 30mins under poor conditions with a bad string setup and declare really good frames as crap. or they cant find the sweetspot so they declare the racquet unstable, or are just having a bad day.
keep us posted on your setups as you like

BMG
10-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah NBM, thanks. I posted too soon yesterday and actually thought of that during the match today!! (what concentration, huh;) ) I agree that it makes much more sense to give a frame (and strings) a good, long, unbiased look - under good conditions- to allow for a fair review. I also agree that the frame feels a bit heavy when first picked up, but I was pleasantly surprised at the relative ease of swinging....especially during some heated doubles exchanges. I appreciate your feedback and will post further comments later in the week.

NoBadMojo
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah NBM, thanks. I posted too soon yesterday and actually thought of that during the match today!! (what concentration, huh;) ) I agree that it makes much more sense to give a frame (and strings) a good, long, unbiased look - under good conditions- to allow for a fair review. I also agree that the frame feels a bit heavy when first picked up, but I was pleasantly surprised at the relative ease of swinging....especially during some heated doubles exchanges. I appreciate your feedback and will post further comments later in the week.

sure...yw. keep us posted as you like. i've found that many people change racquets only to then try and set it up to play just like the frame they are changing from....why bother? i think if you are changing, you should have an idea what you hope to accomplish and have a reason to change and setup your frame the best way to help you acheive that, not fix it to play like what you had...i think it's a comfort zone thing for many

i'm not going to tell you about the stuff i think of whilst on court especially when teaching ;O it often isnt even tennis related

J011yroger
10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
i'm not going to tell you about the stuff i think of whilst on court especially when teaching ;O it often isnt even tennis related

Funny how that works isn't it? How are you supposed to care when the person you are teaching doesn't even give a S***.

Guy recently was ****y with me because I told him I wouldn't teach his daughter, because she didn't care, or put forth enough effort.

I told him "If she doesn't care about getting better, why should I care about trying to help her get better. I am sure someone else who cares about making money will be more than happy to babysit her for a couple of hours a week. I will be on the practice courts."

J

Peter Szucs
10-15-2007, 03:28 AM

Thanks for your comeback.. with regards to pickup and swingweight how would you compare the B11 to your Prestige MP? On spec they look pretty similar but from what i read the B11 is probably heavier and bulkier.. pls let me know.
thx

NoBadMojo
10-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Funny how that works isn't it? How are you supposed to care when the person you are teaching doesn't even give a S***.

Guy recently was ****y with me because I told him I wouldn't teach his daughter, because she didn't care, or put forth enough effort.

I told him "If she doesn't care about getting better, why should I care about trying to help her get better. I am sure someone else who cares about making money will be more than happy to babysit her for a couple of hours a week. I will be on the practice courts."

J

those dont bother me, and are pretty common. dad expects daughter to be a great tennis player. daughter has no talent and is lazy..standard bill of fare. the lack of athletisism i can work around...lazy/lack of interest/no passion is another matter. but nothing worse than the know it all lesson who tells you how to teach and even how to play. those are right up there with the dreaded panty hose lesson ;O

Thanks for your comeback.. with regards to pickup and swingweight how would you compare the B11 to your Prestige MP? On spec they look pretty similar but from what i read the B11 is probably heavier and bulkier.. pls let me know.
thx

the b11 <according to Volkl> has a swingweight of 315. Mine all feel no more than 320. Wouldnt the Prestige swing heavier than that?

BMG
10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
thx

Surprisingly (or not given the sw NBM quoted direct from Volkl) the BB11 swung more easily than I imagined it would. It felt heavier/bulkier in-hand but the maneuverability and swinging was no problemo. After my second day with it yesterday it at least felt similar to the Prestige with swingweight and it could be slightly easier to swing. My first day in the wind was not a good indicator. Maybe this week I will swing both frames side/side for a few games and compare how they swing.

BMG
10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
sure...yw. keep us posted as you like. i've found that many people change racquets only to then try and set it up to play just like the frame they are changing from....why bother? i think if you are changing, you should have an idea what you hope to accomplish and have a reason to change and setup your frame the best way to help you acheive that, not fix it to play like what you had...i think it's a comfort zone thing for many

Yeah, I'm not switching to look for a similar frame to the LM Prestige, but I am looking for something a little "crisper" with possibly a bit more put away pop on volleys. I like the FXP Prestige, Tecnifibre 335 and the BB11 currently in this regard. It will probably come down to the FXP and the BB when the dust settles. You're right about the comfort zone thing though as it is easy to try to setup or find a racquet that plays like the current stick....why bother - I agree.

Peter Szucs
10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
the b11 <according to Volkl> has a swingweight of 315. Mine all feel no more than 320. Wouldnt the Prestige swing heavier than that?

The sw spec for the LM Prestige MP is somewhere about that. I have read others put the sw of the BB11 to be close to 330 rather than 320 and thats why i asked. i now understand that they are similar. thanks