PDA

View Full Version : What is acceptable weight deviation for rackets.

saguar0
09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I have 2 new HEAD MG Radical Pro rackets I have bought recently. Same grip size.

1. Strung with Head Sonic PRO 17, rubber band - 11.75 oz
2. Strung with SPPP 17, rubber band - 12.05 oz

The second one is noticeably heftier (I wonder if balance is different too). So, by my calculations the difference is ~2.5%

Is this considered to be acceptable by racket manufacturers?

I don't suppose that different strings would give such a big difference in weight...

Thoughts?

ohplease
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I have 2 new HEAD MG Radical Pro rackets I have bought recently. Same grip size.

1. Strung with Head Sonic PRO 17, rubber band - 11.75 oz
2. Strung with SPPP 17, rubber band - 12.05 oz

The second one is noticeably heftier (I wonder if balance is different too). So, by my calculations the difference is ~2.5%

Is this considered to be acceptable by racket manufacturers?

I don't suppose that different strings would give such a big difference in weight...

Thoughts?

That's 8 grams. 10 grams is not unusual. Picky buyers will often try and have their retailers match rackets for them, either pre-purchase or after. At this point, you can always try and make do with lead tape.

I liked the Japanese approach. Some stores in Tokyo had digital scales right in front of the racket wall for people to use to pick the frames that were most similar.

As with anything, that level of service costs money, but it's ultimately worth it if this sort of thing bothers you.

saguar0
09-21-2007, 10:11 AM
That's 8 grams. 10 grams is not unusual. Picky buyers will often try and have their retailers match rackets for them, either pre-purchase or after. At this point, you can always try and make do with lead tape.

I liked the Japanese approach. Some stores in Tokyo had digital scales right in front of the racket wall for people to use to pick the frames that were most similar.

As with anything, that level of service costs money, but it's ultimately worth it if this sort of thing bothers you.

Thanks, that makes sense. Although, it is frustrating - all these racket companies keep advertising frigging nano/aerospace technologies, yet they can't get racket weight straight.

Yes, I guess I can match the other racket with lead tape, the only problem is I like the lighter one better :-(

Anyways, a lesson to learn for me... if I like the racket - got to buy two of them at the same time and match weight in the store.