PDA

View Full Version : Mark-Up on Tennis Rackets

truetifoso
09-21-2007, 01:10 PM
What is the mark-up on tennis rackets?

I just bought some Wilson KFactor Six-One 95a for $189 strung. The retail price of these rackets is $220. What is Wilson charging the store per racket?

Richie Rich
09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
roughly around $140, probably less with volume discounts, etc.

meowmix
09-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Nope, they're charging 114 for the k- 6-1's. My instructor happens to have a contract with Wilson: he gets 10% of all sales, they provide him with racquets @ $114 (not including shipping and strings)

DNShade
09-21-2007, 05:27 PM

It's actually a lot less than that...There is a big thing going on and has been for a while about price fixing from the major racket companies and the almost "mob like" tacticts they use to keep the price artificially high. This is the whole "Minimum Price and Minimum Advertised Price" thing. Do some research and you'll find out just how prevalent it is and the lengths they will go to protect that price and how they will go after stores that don't go with the program.

AndrewD
09-21-2007, 06:10 PM
It depends on the store but when dealing with specialty tennis stores I've found that, in general, the minimum advertised price includes a, roughly, 40% mark-up (not including any extras like sales tax, gst, etc).

Tarboro
09-21-2007, 07:13 PM
My experience working in a golf pro shop is that the markup varies wildly depending on how popular and recent a given piece of equipment is.

On popular racquets that a shop can turn over often, the margin is probably pretty good. However, if a model or brand sits in the shop for too long the margin disappears. Think about it...who's paying anywhere near full price for a frame one generation behind the state of the art? In the golf world lots of clubs are sold at or near cost when their successor comes out.