PDA

View Full Version : Racquets that change dramatically with lead.

bluetrain4
09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Obviously, any racquet will change with lead, but are there any racquets that you thought were absolutely crap in stock form, but changed a lot with the addition of lead.

For me, the Prince Tour Diablo Midplus. Stock it's horrible (except for serving) in my opinion. Way too headlight (10 pts), not enough mass to block back pace. Sweetspot is small, and it's unstable. In fact, I think the sweetspot is smaller than the Diablo mid (my usual racquet).

Add about .4 or .5 oz lead to the upper hoop (starting at 12 o'clock and extending equally in each direction) (makes the racquet about 12 to 12.2 oz), and the racquet is terrific - massive spin and controllable power, great volleys, good defensively (reaching slices, simple block backs, half swings), and serves even better than the stock version.

Jonny S&V
09-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Obviously, any racquet will change with lead, but are there any racquets that you thought were absolutely crap in stock form, but changed a lot with the addition of lead.

For me, the Prince Tour Diablo Midplus. Stock it's horrible (except for serving) in my opinion. Way too headlight (10 pts), not enough mass to block back pace. Sweetspot is small, and it's unstable. In fact, I think the sweetspot is smaller than the Diablo mid (my usual racquet).

Add about .4 or .5 oz lead to the upper hoop (starting at 12 o'clock and extending equally in each direction) (makes the racquet about 12 to 12.2 oz), and the racquet is terrific - massive spin and controllable power, great volleys, good defensively (reaching slices, simple block backs, half swings), and serves even better than the stock version.

Same problem with my Dunlop M-fil 200 (almost same specs too). .6 oz on at 3 & 9 and it is now even balance and great for spin and volleys. Feel is still there too.

martin
09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
m-fil300 is totally crap without lead but with lead at the right places it will play great.

NLBwell
09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
A lot of Yonexes play a lot better with added weight to the head. I suggest that everyone with one at least try it out to see if they like it.
The Prince Graphite plays nicely without added weight, but with some weight on the head at 3, 9, and 12 (and some under the grip to keep it in balance) it becomes a different racket - much more a racket for bashing serves and groundies.