PDA

View Full Version : why should string killers choose open string pattern

PackardDell
09-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I kill strings on a regulary basis. My most recent string didn't even survived 3 matches. So why should people take a racquet with an open string pattern ?

0d1n
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Because they like them ... and because breaking strings is COOL ?? :p (beats having to wonder ... are my strings really dead??!?! Should I cut them out??! Am I an idiot for cutting out a perfectly good and expensive string job ??! ...etc etc)

keithchircop
09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Because they like them ... and because breaking strings is COOL ?? :p (beats having to wonder ... are my strings really dead??!?! Should I cut them out??! Am I an idiot for cutting out a perfectly good and expensive string job ??! ...etc etc)

Three words: String Tension Tester

ryan808
09-22-2007, 09:56 AM
...because it was easier for me to buy a stringing machine instead of playing with an 18x20 pattern.

PackardDell
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
...because it was easier for me to buy a stringing machine instead of playing with an 18x20 pattern.

Is, in your opinion, playing with 18X20 that much difference compared to playing with an open string pattern

movdqa
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Ideally, we would like to use what works best for us regardless of the cost. And for those that like to hit more spin, open is usually better. From there, it's a tradeoff between cost and playability and that's different for every player.

If you can afford the money and time in a string job that only lasts a few matches, then more power to you. If you can't, then you make compromises on density and materials.

tbini87
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
people who break strings a lot have a few options. using a dense pattern, using durable strings (poly, kevlar), and using string savers are about all you can do to help. but if you choose to use an open pattern you will just have to know you will break them faster... not a big deal.

tbini87
09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
o and they "shouldn't" choose an open pattern, they should choose whatever pattern they like or whatever pattern their racquet offers...

ryan808
09-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Is, in your opinion, playing with 18X20 that much difference compared to playing with an open string pattern

I've briefly played with the Head Liquidmetal Prestige (poly/multi hybrid) and cannot generate nearly as much spin as I could on my K90s or my POG OS rackets (full nylon). An 18x20 string pattern is supposed to help with control, but I haven't had any issues with control with either of my 16x19 rackets (surprisingly with my POG OS...maybe because I've been playing with them forever).

With regards to feel, playing with an 18x20 string pattern felt a bit "boardy" to me compared to my other sticks.

nickb
09-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I switched from the nsix-one 95 16x18 to the volkl T10VE Mid 18x20 and can hit the same amount of spin with both....I love the control of the denser pattern and im getting 3x more string life. Its down to your technique not the racquet.