PDA

View Full Version : nblade lead and customization

tennismaster888
09-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I know there have been a few threads on this before but I couldn't find exactly what i wanted :mad:

what im looking for (im not sure if its even possible):

A significant power increase (or at least a little bit)
Minimal Loss in Control
No more head heavy (maybe a lil bit more HL)
racket to weigh in the high 11 ounces or about 12 (strung)
minimal loss in manueverability
finally, id prefer not to add lead inside the handle i find that a pain

Again I know there were other threads similar to this one but i couldn't find exactly what i want...also i know that meeting my specifications may not be easy or possible but all your help is greatly appreciated. Lastly, i have seen tenniswarehouses customization page so I dont need that link ;) thanks in advance for all your help.

oh yeah and a little about my game (just in case):

My groundstrokes are my best shots. My forehand is more of a long stroke and my backhand is pretty compact. (backhand is more technically sound but not as powerful) My volleys and my serves are average. I like to try to mix in some drop shots and sneak into net when i have the chance. I hit a flat first serve and a kick second serve. Im not trying to sound like a perfect player (i posted this once before and people said i was describing a perfect player, and by no means am i a perfect player)

tennismaster888
09-22-2007, 09:08 AM
bump, anyone?
the most important of those things to me is the power and no more head heavy..

Bronc10is
09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I actually have the same question as you...want pretty much the results..lol

dacrymn
09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
well, for one thing, you have some conflicting objectives there. For instance, it's hard to just say, over the internet, that you WILL get power or control from a certain setup. Why? Well, because it all depends on the person. So, if I told you to add a leather grip and put lead in the throat as close to the handle as you can, you'd get a headlight racket with an increase in weight, right? Would that give you more or less power? For some, that would mean less power, since they swing at the same speed, but the leverage wouldn't be the same due to the relative position of weight in the racket. Others, obviously, would find that they swing faster (not necessarily faster, but if you use a lot of wrist you should find some more whip), meaning more power. This is really an immeasureable thing.

And another thing: I assume you won't be taking off any weight. That means the swingweight will go up no matter what, even if the balance changes. It'll be easier to whip, but you're still swinging that weight, so your arm will tire. Your wrist won't fatigue as fast, comparatively, however. GENERALLY, you will get more power from more weight in the head. You'll lose some spin, but you don't express concern in that, so i won't touch there. Your best bet would be to keep the same balance, but just make the racket heavier. To do that, i would recommend placing cancelling weights in the head and the handle, as opposed to putting weight on the throat.

Hope it helped.

tennismaster888
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
well, for one thing, you have some conflicting objectives there. For instance, it's hard to just say, over the internet, that you WILL get power or control from a certain setup. Why? Well, because it all depends on the person. So, if I told you to add a leather grip and put lead in the throat as close to the handle as you can, you'd get a headlight racket with an increase in weight, right? Would that give you more or less power? For some, that would mean less power, since they swing at the same speed, but the leverage wouldn't be the same due to the relative position of weight in the racket. Others, obviously, would find that they swing faster (not necessarily faster, but if you use a lot of wrist you should find some more whip), meaning more power. This is really an immeasureable thing.

And another thing: I assume you won't be taking off any weight. That means the swingweight will go up no matter what, even if the balance changes. It'll be easier to whip, but you're still swinging that weight, so your arm will tire. Your wrist won't fatigue as fast, comparatively, however. GENERALLY, you will get more power from more weight in the head. You'll lose some spin, but you don't express concern in that, so i won't touch there. Your best bet would be to keep the same balance, but just make the racket heavier. To do that, i would recommend placing cancelling weights in the head and the handle, as opposed to putting weight on the throat.

Hope it helped.

definitaly helped......by balancing the weight in head and handle the only thing i lose in manuverability which isn't that big of a deal...dacrymn you've been a huge help with almost every question ive asked...muchos gracias...just three more questions...do i have to add the lead inside the handle or can i do it on the handle? and how many grams should i add to each the head and the handle to make the racket weigh in the high 11 ounces (like 11.8 or .9)?? and wat positions on the head, 3 and 9? thank you SOO much

dacrymn
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
No problem, you're welcome.

Well, you could at it in the handle, but that would be annoying, but it is also the most efficient way to counterbalance the weight you'll be putting in the head. You could put it on top of the grip, but just be careful with the lead. I would put it right above, on the throat (like where that "W" logo is), and a leather grip is really helpful ( I think those are automatically 25 grams right there).

To see how much lead you want to add to get it 11.8, you just see how much you want to add (11.8 - 11.1 = .7) and divide by half, so you should put .35 ounces in the head and .35 in the throat. Keep in mind, though, since you're not putting the lead inside the handle, you're not going to get a 1:1 ratio. The best way would be to balance it on a straight stick, and mark the balance point (with tape or something). After you've done your lead-adding and weighing, check the balance, and get it to center on the tape again. You're going to have to a little more on the throat, since it's closer to the fulcrum.

One word of warning: the racket, at 11.8, will still be 2 points headlight strung. That'll result in an extremely high swingweight, even though 11.8 really isn't *THAT* high of a STATIC weight.

Your last question is a bit trickier. Without exceeding .7 oz (assuming you still want it that high), you have to experiment. That's all there is. If you keep the weight centered there, it theoretically shouldn't matter where you put it. Then while it's there, might as well put it at 3 and 9 for more stability, right? The only tradeoff is that you won't get as much of a power increase, comparatively.

KOtennis
09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
tenismaster888,

i have 2 nBlades set up almost exactly the way you want it.

basically i added lead tape to the inside of the throat, 3 layers on each side.
i also replaced the grip with syn leather.

my strung weight with 1 overgrip is 11.82oz.

the swingweight will definitely go up.
and because of the leather grip, the balance is the same, if not a little more HL.

hope this helps.

tennismaster888
09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
No problem, you're welcome.

Well, you could at it in the handle, but that would be annoying, but it is also the most efficient way to counterbalance the weight you'll be putting in the head. You could put it on top of the grip, but just be careful with the lead. I would put it right above, on the throat (like where that "W" logo is), and a leather grip is really helpful ( I think those are automatically 25 grams right there).

To see how much lead you want to add to get it 11.8, you just see how much you want to add (11.8 - 11.1 = .7) and divide by half, so you should put .35 ounces in the head and .35 in the throat. Keep in mind, though, since you're not putting the lead inside the handle, you're not going to get a 1:1 ratio. The best way would be to balance it on a straight stick, and mark the balance point (with tape or something). After you've done your lead-adding and weighing, check the balance, and get it to center on the tape again. You're going to have to a little more on the throat, since it's closer to the fulcrum.

One word of warning: the racket, at 11.8, will still be 2 points headlight strung. That'll result in an extremely high swingweight, even though 11.8 really isn't *THAT* high of a STATIC weight.

Your last question is a bit trickier. Without exceeding .7 oz (assuming you still want it that high), you have to experiment. That's all there is. If you keep the weight centered there, it theoretically shouldn't matter where you put it. Then while it's there, might as well put it at 3 and 9 for more stability, right? The only tradeoff is that you won't get as much of a power increase, comparatively.

i cant do the leather grip cuz that weighs almost an ounce by itself...but other than that all i need to do is experiment if i like balancing the weight in the head and the handle or if i just wanna put the weight in the throat

tenismaster888,

i have 2 nBlades set up almost exactly the way you want it.

basically i added lead tape to the inside of the throat, 3 layers on each side.
i also replaced the grip with syn leather.

my strung weight with 1 overgrip is 11.82oz.

the swingweight will definitely go up.
and because of the leather grip, the balance is the same, if not a little more HL.

hope this helps.

how much does the syn leather grip weigh?

KOtennis
09-22-2007, 02:31 PM
i'd say around .5 oz.

i have digital scale, so its easy for me to try and test different set ups.

Bronc10is
09-22-2007, 05:46 PM
ive read all the lead help websites..but if I add 1.5 gram at 4 o clock, and 1.5 at 10 o clock of the racket...will the balance move? will it be more head heavy, although the change is not great? i think the racket would become about 11.3 unstrung after that and thats the weight I want unstrung..and it should give it more stability and power, because thats what the websites say...but will it make it an even balance? I still want the racket to be head light.

rooski
09-22-2007, 05:55 PM
i cant do the leather grip cuz that weighs almost an ounce by itself...how much does the syn leather grip weigh?

Remember, the stock grip weighs nearly 1/2 oz so going to a real leather grip only adds a total of .5 oz overall.

tennismaster888
09-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Remember, the stock grip weighs nearly 1/2 oz so going to a real leather grip only adds a total of .5 oz overall.

oh i forgot bout that haha :D