PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Henin could beat Roddick?

djsiva
09-22-2007, 10:34 AM
If roddick had to hit underhanded and he couldn't hit a forehand i.e. he had to always run around his forehand? (same court dimensions, same rules otherwise)

pcpshortbus
09-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Great Thread

Hewittfan22
09-22-2007, 10:43 AM
if henin can return roddick serve yeah i think she has a chance.

Hewittfan22
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
i think shes got the upper hand from the baseline of course roddick will try to overpower but its not gonna work against henin, shes too quick and solid from the baseline

Rhino
09-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I think Henin would be in with a chance for sure. :)

RoddickistheMan
09-22-2007, 10:52 AM
no. She wouldnt be able to break roddicks serve. And roddick would definitely be able to break hers eventually. It would be close though.
________
New Mexico Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

Nadal_Freak
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Take Roddick's serve away and it would be close. :D

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Henin would win...

-Backhand Rallies on deuce side
-Henin goes for a down-the-line shot (doesn't even have to be a good one)
-Roddick runs to reach the ball, then runs even more to go to his backhand side
-Henin goes to volley and wins.

Rhino
09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
A match I would love to see. they should do men/women exo's.

Mick
09-22-2007, 12:12 PM
i think Roddick would hand out double bagels to Henin in about 50 minutes.

156MPHserve
09-22-2007, 12:24 PM
If Roddick was having a bad serving day, I would probably place some money on Henin.

junbumkim
09-22-2007, 12:26 PM
if roddick had to run around his forehand everytime, he won't be able to be anyone.

If he can slice his forehand, yeah he will take out Henin w/o too much problem.

rooski
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Are you guys kidding? I hope so. Roddick would beat her easily (as would any male pro in the top 100). She may get a game or two per set but that's all. Some chain smoking German male pro ranked in the 400's crushed Serena and Venus when they were at the top of their game. A top male pro would have no problem destroying any top female player. It's a totally different game.

Viper
09-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Maybe an intoxicated Roddick playing with a spoon, with Henin up 2 sets to 0, and up 4-0 every game, just MAYBE she can pull it out.

Andres
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Most people didn't even care reading the OP post.

Roddick can serve underhanded, and no forehands.
So basically, he has to run around his forehand to hit backhands.

Henin in straight sets.

ewcrider
09-22-2007, 02:02 PM
what's the deal with these threads getting so specific with the rules. basically, the question is can henin could beat roddick if he didnt have a racket. Serving underhand, hitting backhands all the time, sounds like ping pong more than tennis.

WhiteSox05CA
09-22-2007, 02:04 PM
F*** No !

Even like that Henin would wimper.

sureshs
09-22-2007, 02:06 PM
what's the deal with these threads getting so specific with the rules. basically, the question is can henin could beat roddick if he didnt have a racket. Serving underhand, hitting backhands all the time, sounds like ping pong more than tennis.

Table tennis (not ping pong) is primarily a forehand dominated game today.

ewcrider
09-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Table tennis (not ping pong) is primarily a forehand dominated game today.

yes, table tennis is. however, most of recreational players i've seen playing ping pong, not table tennis since they dont know the rules, hit primarily with backhands.

sureshs
09-22-2007, 02:10 PM
yes, table tennis is. however, most of recreational players i've seen playing ping pong, not table tennis since they dont know the rules, hit primarily with backhands.

Makes sense to me now ...

bluetrain4
09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Ridiculous thread. Roddick 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Maybe 1 game t Henin.

Henin looks that much better because she's playing women. Roddick looks that much worse because he's playing guys like Nadal and Fed (and any number of other great players).

Roddick's grounstrokes are average for a top male, but he'd totally dominate Henin from the ground. Roddick is much faster than Henin even if he looks slower relatively to his competition.

Anyone who asks this question doesn't understand the fundamental differences at the top of the mens and womens game.

Sam Querry would beat Henin 6-1, 6-0

Dan007
09-22-2007, 02:19 PM
even if roddick's serve is a little off. He'll beat henin easily. Roddick has a bad backhand compared to other pros in the atp, and henin has the best backhand in the wta. But the thing is henin wouldn't be able to keep up with powerful and heavy balls from roddick.

djsiva
09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
even if roddick's serve is a little off. He'll beat henin easily. Roddick has a bad backhand compared to other pros in the atp, and henin has the best backhand in the wta. But the thing is henin wouldn't be able to keep up with powerful and heavy balls from roddick.

Roddick is only serving underhanded!!!

So the guy doesn't have a serve.

And if he hits a forehand, he loses the point.

I believe Roddick would definitely lose. I think most ATP players would lose.

BkK_b0y14
09-22-2007, 02:46 PM
it would be like the wimbledon SF all over again!

Trekkie
09-22-2007, 03:32 PM
NO But I think he'd laugh a lot...

Mick
09-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I wonder how Justine Henin would do if she plays a match against her coach Carlos Rodriguez.

JRstriker12
09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
If roddick had to hit underhanded and he couldn't hit a forehand i.e. he had to always run around his forehand? (same court dimensions, same rules otherwise)

Under those rules, I'd think even Federer might lose to Henin.

tennispro11
09-22-2007, 03:50 PM
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE: (Place X where applies)
[_] This topic did not need a separate thread
[X] Fake/duplicate account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[X] It is a lame troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[X] Original Poster's grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It compares Graf and Seles, in any way.
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[X] It is a serious discussion of a match that would never happen.
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year old's career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clown's chances at a clay event or in an individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] It is the annual thread where people complain about Americans not showing up in Monte Carlo
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp are called an injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[X] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[_] Wrong forum, eejit.
[X] It was created by a 13 year old desperate for attention
[_] It contains advice to a top ten pro player from a 3.0 with a losing record
[_] It predicts the winner of a tournament final based on a 'feeling'
[_] It's a 'Hey I'm back' thread after a) you were banned for a damn good reason or b) no one noticed you were gone or missed you.
[_] It's a duplicate thread started by someone who can't scroll one inch down the first page.

Radical97
09-22-2007, 04:11 PM
yeah, Henin would defo win.. ;)

Rhino
09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE:

...because someone thought they were clever and posted the dreaded and tired multi-choice answer thingy. Before that it was quite good.
I mean what do you want, another GOAT thread?

A lack of sense of humour is baggage, life is too short.

andyroddick1
09-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Okay lets see. Henin's never faced a 140 before. Her first serve is like a second serve to Roddick. Roddick can hit forehands over an 90 , Henin over 70. Yeah i really think that Henin has a chance(that was sarcasm). Seriously, the girl has too many troubles with the Williams sisters. She couldn't beat Roddick in her dreams.(Her technique is better though, but that isn't really at all enough). Technique wise she's up their with Fed but doesn't really have at all enough power.

power_play21
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
i have just one thing to add, any decent D1 college player can beat henin.

federer envies me
09-22-2007, 04:49 PM
are you serious...no way

Rhino
09-22-2007, 04:50 PM
This thread is just a way of frustrated roddick fans to feel some kind of relief.
It's OK, American tennis isn't so bad, the number one guy....
He can beat, ummm, well, he can beat a girl!

Breaker
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
This thread is just a way of frustrated roddick fans to feel some kind of relief.
It's OK, American tennis isn't so bad, the number one guy....
He can beat, ummm, well, he can beat a girl!

Yeah...that's exactly what this thread is for, definitely couldn't be yet another "Roddick is nothing without his serve" thread since every American on here is in love with Andy.

justineheninhoogenbandfan
09-22-2007, 05:48 PM
If Roddick had Henin's serve, Justine wins in straight sets. Her great groundies off both wings, great court coverage, defensive skills, court smarts, ability to volley (really volley unlike Andy), and mental strength would carry her to a clear victory. Roddick would learn how to really hit a forehand, the best women player in the World can indeed hit a better forehand I bet. Go Justine!

09-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Against Roddick's backhand Justine would have multiple choices. She could wait and run around to smash a forehand winner inside out, or she could just wait and drill a backhand winner down the line. Many others of course but those would be her two favorites. In a baseline rally she could do whatever she wanted with him, especialy while he is hitting a backhand.

edmondsm
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
It would be nearly impossible to play without being able to hit off one wing. Maybe not if Roddick was playing me, but Henin. He would just have to stand in the deuce court the whole time to avoid running around the forehand so much.

Rodditha
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
What the hell ? ********!
Roddick would beat that 0 and 0.

09-22-2007, 05:58 PM
It would be nearly impossible to play without being able to hit off one wing. Maybe not if Roddick was playing me, but Henin. He would just have to stand in the deuce court the whole time to avoid running around the forehand so much.

Justine would then rip her beautiful backhand down the line for a clean winner, something she is able to do against the Williams sisters or Clijsters who are about twice as fast as Roddick, even though they arent posted in that corner giving up more room.

edmondsm
09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Against Roddick's backhand Justine would have multiple choices. She could wait and run around to smash a forehand winner inside out, or she could just wait and drill a backhand winner down the line. Many others of course but those would be her two favorites. In a baseline rally she could do whatever she wanted with him, especialy while he is hitting a backhand.

I hope you're talking about a match with the op's criteria. Henin would have trouble even winning a point against Roddick. Her serve's would be getting crushed. Assuming that Roddick is allowed to hit forehands. If not, then I can see your point.

09-22-2007, 06:04 PM
:p Roddick: "She hits the ball so hard off the baseline. It is amazing such a small girl can hit that hard. I couldnt read or keep up with her forehand, she was just painting the lines."

Roddick: "That backhand down the line was a killer. Whenever she got a bit of room she just drilled it and caught me flat footed again and again."

Roddick: "She is such a crafty player. I never knew what shot she would play next. Often I found myself confused and she just maneuvered the point around me."

Roddick: "She really attacks those 2nd serves. I wish I had the ability to do that on the 2nd serve the way she does."

Roddick: "She really is good at finishing points up at the net. She is so strong from the baseline, but whenever she got an opening she came in and clipped off those volleys no matter how I tried to pass her."

Roddick: "She runs down all my biggest shots, and keeps coming back with spin or extra work to neutralize the point again. I just had such a hard time getting the #%$## ball past her. She @$##@# me off!"

Roddick: "I did not know where to hit. The forehand or backhand were both killers, she was all over my second serve, she runs down everything, you cant wrongfoot her and she is onto that, when I tried to play smarter she carved me up, she plays the all court game and I dont know how to keep up with that. I never #$$#@#@ want to play that little #$#@ again, she is too damn good."

09-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I hope you're talking about a match with the op's criteria. Henin would have trouble even winning a point against Roddick. Her serve's would be getting crushed. Assuming that Roddick is allowed to hit forehands. If not, then I can see your point.

Why would Roddick crush serve returns. He could be playing a guy who serves no harder then Justine and he still doesnt attack them. If he got a forehand he would just hit that clay court looper he hits nowadays.

orangeblood
09-22-2007, 06:16 PM
First off, what surface are we talking about (if this were clay and Roddick were only allowed one serve, then Henin has a decent chance to at least try and make it competitive)? Second, when someone like Bartoli beats Henin using a power game, what chance does she stand against Roddick?

vince916
09-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Who would win if 2 Henins faced Roddick with a normal serve?

09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
First off, what surface are we talking about (if this were clay and Roddick were only allowed one serve, then Henin has a decent chance to at least try and make it competitive)? Second, when someone like Bartoli beats Henin using a power game, what chance does she stand against Roddick?

Bartoli's win over Henin was a fluke, and she doesnt play a power game. Next time Henin and Bartoli play Bartoli will be lucky to get 2 games, which is what would have happened at Wimbledon if Henin did not choke under the pressure of trying to win her first Wimbledon. Bartoli's game had absolutely nothing to do with that result, it was all Justine's nerves which took the match astray from the 6-1, 6-1 romp it was on its way to being.

pow
09-22-2007, 06:37 PM
If Roddick was on a wheelchair maybe?
Henin lost to Bartoli.

09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
If Roddick was on a wheelchair maybe?
Henin lost to Bartoli.

Roddick lost to Gilles Muller and Alberto Martin.

2 Cent
09-22-2007, 06:52 PM
all he'd have to do is knock that ***** out with a 160mph serve, and it's over.

Breaker
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Justine would then rip her beautiful backhand down the line for a clean winner, something she is able to do against the Williams sisters or Clijsters who are about twice as fast as Roddick, even though they arent posted in that corner giving up more room.

............................Obviously a joke.

quest01
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I think if Henin served the whole time then this would competitive. Even if you allowed Stifler to play his normal game but have Henin serve every game i think that Henin still may have a chance. If you take away Stifler's serve then his whole game can break down.

iamke55
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
lol wtf? People keep talking about this 150 mph underhanded serve, lmao. The better question is, can Federer beat me if he could only hit underhanded serves and wasn't allowed to hit a forehand?

Phil
09-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Possibly one of the top-10 most moronic posts in TW TT history. MMOAT (Most Moronic of All Time). Right up there with adding lead tape to shoes, et al. Can the mods screen posts like this? Possibly?

isuk@tennis
09-23-2007, 01:26 AM
lol wtf? People keep talking about this 150 mph underhanded serve, lmao. The better question is, can Federer beat me if he could only hit underhanded serves and wasn't allowed to hit a forehand?

yes he can he still got a backhand and that's all he needs to kill us amateurs

tennisnj
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Roddick lost to Gilles Muller and Alberto Martin.

And so would Justine Henin. Enough said.

Dedans Penthouse
09-25-2007, 05:31 AM
If, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if.......you forgot to include Roddick having to:

= play blindfolded
= play against Henin while while playing with himself
= play while being tasered on the changovers

Futile, "what's-the-point?" post. :neutral:

You want to combine tennis with "if?" Go read some Kipling on your way out to Centre Court at the AELTC.

iplaybetter
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
on clay she has a good chance

edmondsm
09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Why would Roddick crush serve returns. He could be playing a guy who serves no harder then Justine and he still doesnt attack them. If he got a forehand he would just hit that clay court looper he hits nowadays.

There are no men on tour that serve as soft as Henin. The first second serve she hit would come back and hit her right in the teeth. Allez!!!!

soggyramen
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
she has a good chance if she can handle the serve but if she can't then she's kinda screwed