PDA

View Full Version : Aero Storm VS AeroPro Drive Cortex

nycoara
09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Which do you like?

Please give me your impressions and suggestions.

Thanks

nycoara

PED
09-22-2007, 12:11 PM
2 very different sticks, storm is more control oriented and swings much heavier. APD is much lighter: 11.3 oz strung up vs 12.3 for the aero storm. You can hit a heavier ball with the aero storm. I've got both and like them for different reasons. I've ended up leading up my apd-c to around 11.9 to get it to play a bit heavier. You really need to try them both out to get a true read on them. The aerostorm plays like bab's version of an ag200 but the string pattern is a bit more open 16X20 which seems like a nice compromise.

TRiBaL
09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Yea im very interested in both of these rackets myself

TRiBaL
09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
APDC is like all sold out where I live. I'm just thinking of getting a aero storm. Is the Aero Storm frame 98 sq in look oval looking or more circular looking?

TennisFrkJC92
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
2 very different sticks, storm is more control oriented and swings much heavier. APD is much lighter: 11.3 oz strung up vs 12.3 for the aero storm. You can hit a heavier ball with the aero storm. I've got both and like them for different reasons. I've ended up leading up my apd-c to around 11.9 to get it to play a bit heavier. You really need to try them both out to get a true read on them. The aerostorm plays like bab's version of an ag200 but the string pattern is a bit more open 16X20 which seems like a nice compromise.

Where did you place your lead?

me is bored
09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
aero storm, APD is too light.

PED
09-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I've got 10 in the handle which really helps on volleys and general stability and another 3 at 12 oclock to give a little weight at the tip. I played with it for quite awhile in stock form but after demoing some heavier sticks like the aero storm and pure drive roddick, i decided i wanted something with a bit more heft but not too much as I've really been working on racquet head speed.

TRiBaL
09-23-2007, 09:01 AM
PED is the frame of the aero storm a oval shape?

PED
09-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess the shape is the same as the apdc. Take a look at the pic on TW and it shows the shape pretty well. Really nice frame though!

AlpineCadet
09-23-2007, 04:36 PM
aero storm, APD is too light.
The APD isn't too light, it's just a totally different frame than the Storm. It's like comparing the Prestige to the Radical, and calling the Radical way "too light." FYI Nadal seems to love his APD, and probably isn't going to ever switch to the Aero Storm.

aero_storm
03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
i have recently purchased the aero storm, and i think it is an exelently engineered racket. The balance in this racket is very different and unique, which in this case is a good thing. In this racket a majority of weight is at the top of the racket (above the strings). I find this to be really helpful when i am trying to produce lots of spin because it helps me drop my racket. Also lately my backhands have been struggling, but after i got this racket it has been improving because of the balance so i can drop it to produce spin easier.

There are a couple of cons to this racket as well. your contact point on this racket has to be very exact or else it wont go in. You have to strike the ball from underneath and lift the ball so it produces spin. Also the other con is this racket is made for baseline rallying, so it is not the greatest for people who like to have a very net oriented game.

Overall, i really enjoy this racket, and although the first time i used it i questioned it, i am now really enjoying this racket. I will recommend this racket to people that enjoy a baseline game, and like hitting the ball with lots of spin.

**PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS**

Nanshiki
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I wish I had tried the Aero Storm since the beam is a good 4 MM thinner, meaning less chance of framing it on a slice or similar shot.

P8ntballa
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
When hitting with them, I liked the AST much more then the APDC. The controllable power and stability of the AST were the biggest advantages it had over the APDC. I have tried lots of diff frames and i tend to lean towards heavy players stix, that said I wasnt expecting much from the APDC when serious hitting kiked in. Overall they are both pretty low on my list of fav stix, i liked the Pure Storm line much more.

PS i hav hit with an APDC leaded up to 12.5oz at 8pts hl, it was VERY nice. Huge step up from the stock APDC.

Storm_Kyori
03-27-2009, 08:16 AM
I've also hit with both and the main reason why I liked the AS, was the weight. In stock form it's already customized for me. There is more room of course for that on an APDC, but it's more of a player's stick, I chose that.

I put my reply in bold to what you said.

The balance in this racket is very different and unique, which in this case is a good thing. In this racket a majority of weight is at the top of the racket (above the strings).

I actually think it's very well distributed and more like in the throat area than at the top. If it was head-heavy I think I would have a hrad time swinging it.
Also lately my backhands have been struggling, but after i got this racket it has been improving because of the balance so i can drop it to produce spin easier.

Exactly, the heft/mass of the frame really helps on all shots.

There are a couple of cons to this racket as well. your contact point on this racket has to be very exact or else it wont go in.

I think the way I see this is, you can't be lazy. You can't underestimate the swing. If you lose track of the ball or don't get into position, the frame totally lets you know by framing the ball or dumping one into the net.

Also the other con is this racket is made for baseline rallying, so it is not the greatest for people who like to have a very net oriented game.

I don't quite get this statement. I think the mass/maneuverability helps at net. The weight helps put pace on volley and doesn't get pushed around. The fact that you can still swing it around helps get to most shots and not feel like you're not lugging a brick. I've seen a few pros use this frame and get some great touch shots and action at the net. You can say "oh well those are pros", but so can average joe's get those great shots. I apologize for however I may sound, this is just my opinion.

betovanbuuren
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I've a APDC and it's a good frame, i'd like to demo the aero storm (non tour)

ryushen21
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
i have recently purchased the aero storm, and i think it is an exelently engineered racket. The balance in this racket is very different and unique, which in this case is a good thing. In this racket a majority of weight is at the top of the racket (above the strings).

Like Storm said, I actually find the majority of the weight to be more in the throat/handle of the racquet. I tend to blast shots long with head heavier sticks and this is definitely not the case with my AST.

I find this to be really helpful when i am trying to produce lots of spin because it helps me drop my racket. Also lately my backhands have been struggling, but after i got this racket it has been improving because of the balance so i can drop it to produce spin easier.

People always seem to be mixed on the backhand side of this racquet. I hit a 1hbh and have had no problems. My form hasn't changed but the heft of the racquet has help me hit a heavier ball and get better spin especially on my slice shots. On the other side, I hit almost a full bucket on the ball machine with a 2hbh and was able to get plenty of depth and good topspin on my shots.

There are a couple of cons to this racket as well. your contact point on this racket has to be very exact or else it wont go in.

I think that the better way to phrase this would have been to say that it is not the most forgiving frame out there. If you slip up or your technique isn't good, this frame will make you pay for it. But when you are adjusted to it and dialed in, holy hell does it work wonders.

You have to strike the ball from underneath and lift the ball so it produces spin.

Also the other con is this racket is made for baseline rallying, so it is not the greatest for people who like to have a very net oriented game.

I seriously have to disagree on this one. Previously I played with the APDC and I didn't feel like it had the stability to hold up well at the net. I probably could have added some lead to help that but I also felt that it was too much of a spin oriented racquet and I like to hit a little bit flatter shot. With the AST, it feels absolutely solid at the net. I can get some great shots in and I particularly love the approach swing volley.

I am soon to be adding some lead to my AST which should bring its total weight up to about 13oz and 8pts HL.