PDA

View Full Version : Low Weight = More power and control?

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-22-2007, 03:40 PM
The title is obviously not usually true, but it has been the case for one of my friends who went from a Dunlop Muscle Weave 200 to a Wilson K95 Team. He played with the Dunlop for 8 or 9 years with great success. He had all the control he could want, although he could use a bit more power.

His first forray away from his Dunlop was with the Wilson K95 16x18. He noticed an increase in power, but that power came at a price: he lost a good deal of control. After a few months, he decided that the loss of control was not worth the added power, so he looked for an alternative. He came across the K95 Team and fell in love with it.

Ever since he bought the K95 Team, his game has noticably improved. He is striking the ball with even more power than when he used the regular K95, and his control is every bit as precise as his Dunlop Muscle Weave 200. We used be even in the win-loss column, but since he made the switch, he has been winning more than I find acceptable ;)

What's the deal? Has anyone else experienced greater power and control with a lighter racquet, or is he an anomaly?

krz
09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
maybe he couldn't generate racket head speed with the heavier rackets

El Guapo
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Remember, more weight is better up to the point that you can't control it. Not everyone can use 350g sticks effectively. If you're a little late or a little early because you don't have exact control over the racquet, your control is going to suffer.

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Remember, more weight is better up to the point that you can't control it. Not everyone can use 350g sticks effectively. If you're a little late or a little early because you don't have exact control over the racquet, your control is going to suffer.

I agree that while not everyone can handle heavy sticks, he used the Dunlop MW 200 for years, which I believe to be a heavy racquet. He's a big fellow at around 6'2"

caesar66
09-22-2007, 10:29 PM
from a kteam user, it is a light racquet, but it swings heavier than its weight and really is pretty solid. Its not your typical light racquet.

El Guapo
09-23-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree that while not everyone can handle heavy sticks, he used the Dunlop MW 200 for years, which I believe to be a heavy racquet. He's a big fellow at around 6'2"
The MW 200 has a swingweight of 315.