PDA

View Full Version : Speedport Black of Pure Drive?

Eternalmetal
09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I demoed a handful of rackets in the past few weeks, and out of all of them, I have it narrowed down to two. The Prince Speedport Black and the Babolat Pure Drive. I really enjoyed both of them, but was curious what you guys thought of either choice. Which would you go with? I know its up to personal feel, but I would like some input from other people who have tried them, preferably both.

thanks.

Commando Tennis Shorts
09-23-2007, 05:11 AM
I have to admit that I am biased, as I do use the Pure Drive, but for what it's worth. . .I find that the pure drive is extremely easy to play with. it's power is extremely overexaggerated, and anyone who says it's too powerful has never played with it for a significant amount of time. it is not just for spin doctors----I know plenty of eastern forehand flat hitters who have tons of success with the PD. . . the sweetspot is HUGE, the feel is great (as opposed to popular opinion).
Heck, when it comes down to it, I don't need to talk you into it. Play with the pure drive a few more times. . .you'll find that when you're creating a 'cons' list as to why you shouldn't play with it, you'll be making up excuses. lol

despite the unpopularity of it on these boards. . .give in and join the pure drive division of the babolat alliance!!! your ntrp rating will thank you

Forehand Forever
09-23-2007, 05:53 AM
it is not just for spin doctors----I know plenty of eastern forehand flat hitters who have tons of success with the PD.

That would be me. Eastern forehand+PD=ownage.

alcap26
09-23-2007, 06:37 AM
I haver demoed both also and I am picking the speedport black. To me it had a better feel to it...I prefer the string hole inserts and had better control that the PD. Good luck with the racquet you choose.

soggyramen
09-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I have to admit that I am biased, as I do use the Pure Drive, but for what it's worth. . .I find that the pure drive is extremely easy to play with. it's power is extremely overexaggerated, and anyone who says it's too powerful has never played with it for a significant amount of time. it is not just for spin doctors----I know plenty of eastern forehand flat hitters who have tons of success with the PD. . . the sweetspot is HUGE, the feel is great (as opposed to popular opinion).
Heck, when it comes down to it, I don't need to talk you into it. Play with the pure drive a few more times. . .you'll find that when you're creating a 'cons' list as to why you shouldn't play with it, you'll be making up excuses. lol

despite the unpopularity of it on these boards. . .give in and join the pure drive division of the babolat alliance!!! your ntrp rating will thank you

we say it doesn't have good feel because it has a dead feel...it all depends on your preference...some like dead feel some like the string feedback

dunlopfan
09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I have played with both. I bought the Pure Drive and I really regret buying it. It just... I don't know. The Prince is a really good frame. I highly suggest you buy it.

galatti
09-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I've chosen the black over the PDC and APDC mainly the Prince provides more confort. Anyway, they play very similiar and you should chose the one you think you like more. Don't worry about making a wrong decisitin, because in the end both are great frames :)

LafayetteHitter
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I bought a Speedport Black for my gf to use recently. The racquet came in with a full poly Babolat Hurricane stringjob (a string I normally dislike). She liked it with this string in it so I decided to hit with it a bit just to be sure it wouldn't be to harsh. Well I ended up enjoying the groundstroke rallies with it so much that the next day I took it for a singles match. Wow, was I impressed with this racquet. I have been a mid user for as long as I can remember and have never really considered a 100" frame. Once I made a slight adjustment to the additional pop I found I was ripping balls from all angles on the court against an opponent that really usually gives me a good run. It was interesting because when we left the courts he had this strange expression on his face and later told me that he was just trying to figure out what I was doing different because the pace and the placement really took him by surprise today. I found the racquet had exceptional access to spin on the serves. This is a really impressive racquet that I think more people should try out. With a leather on it to give it my usual raw grip feeling I may find myself as a convert to a 100" frame. Tomorrow I am playing with my really tough doubles group so it will be interesting to see if I can find my groove again with it. By the way this frame is very comfy even with a full poly stringjob which really surprised me. Good job Prince

Two Fister
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I bought a Speedport Black for my gf to use recently. The racquet came in with a full poly Babolat Hurricane stringjob (a string I normally dislike). She liked it with this string in it so I decided to hit with it a bit just to be sure it wouldn't be to harsh. Well I ended up enjoying the groundstroke rallies with it so much that the next day I took it for a singles match. Wow, was I impressed with this racquet. I have been a mid user for as long as I can remember and have never really considered a 100" frame. Once I made a slight adjustment to the additional pop I found I was ripping balls from all angles on the court against an opponent that really usually gives me a good run. It was interesting because when we left the courts he had this strange expression on his face and later told me that he was just trying to figure out what I was doing different because the pace and the placement really took him by surprise today. I found the racquet had exceptional access to spin on the serves. This is a really impressive racquet that I think more people should try out. With a leather on it to give it my usual raw grip feeling I may find myself as a convert to a 100" frame. Tomorrow I am playing with my really tough doubles group so it will be interesting to see if I can find my groove again with it. By the way this frame is very comfy even with a full poly stringjob which really surprised me. Good job Prince

Does it currently have the stringport or stringhole setup? After reading your post, I may just have to try a full poly set up. Thanks.

LafayetteHitter
09-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Stringhole setup. I always thought the O3 Tour was a great racquet but was way to dampened for my tastes so these are superb for guys that like feedback like I do but we still get the benefit of the ports. I tell you that I am not one for gimmicky stuff at all but it is pretty sweet when you really crank a forehand and hear the swoosh of the ports through the air.

grass_hopper
09-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Pd and babolat are all too HOLLOW, pour water in the handle and it comes out at strings. prince and wilson are solid filled racquets, wilson has foam filled tech. the PD acts like a flute sending shock waves to elbow. Pd is super stiff and more powerful than black. I had both and switched to black.

0d1n
09-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Between these two ... I will choose a LM Instinct. ;) You can buy two for the money as well ...

iplaybetter
09-25-2007, 07:34 AM
i like the pure drive, but the black is nice

IanRichardson
09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
other than my 03 tour these 2 racquets are my favorites. I feel the black is a better all around frame giving more power and more control while the pure drive gives more overall power. In my opinion you cant go wrong with either one. But i think i have to give the edge to the black.

cknobman
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Pd and babolat are all too HOLLOW, pour water in the handle and it comes out at strings. prince and wilson are solid filled racquets, wilson has foam filled tech. the PD acts like a flute sending shock waves to elbow. Pd is super stiff and more powerful than black. I had both and switched to black.

You could not have said it better. The pure drive I played with felt like a cheap piece of thin tin metal. I tried, really tried hard, to like the pure drive because of all the hype around babolat racquets but I just could not get the feel for it. The only babolat I can stand is the aero model, and it is still not one of my favorites. I did demo a speedport black and after two outings with it I had to buy one. Weight is enough for the racquet to feel solid on volleys and groundies but the ports make it easy enough to swing to not cause any arm/elbow fatigue. I guess the only negative to the PSP black is that serving takes a little more adjustment. Being able to swing the racquet so much faster I had to really work for a couple of days to control my serve. Overall the PSP black is a better racquet any day over the Babolat Pure Drive.

Eternalmetal
09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, a little update on this. I demoed a Wilson nCode nPro Open today, and think I might like it better than either one. Every shot I gave it seemed to have perfect placement, and it felt like such a solid frame. I tried it side by side with the Prince O3 White, which I heard was pretty much indistinguishable from the Black, and felt like the Wilson was better. What do you guys think of this racket? Im pretty much about to buy it, but would like to hear some input about this one too.

LafayetteHitter
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I think you are right about the Npro Open being very close and comparable. My gf was using the Npro Open before so i've hit with both. I think the Npro Open is one of the overlooked frames that more people should be trying out.

Eternalmetal
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Am I liking girly rackets or something? Your girlfriend tried 2 of the 3 I liked the best :)

cknobman
09-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I commented in a previous post on the O3 white. I owned it and loved it and it was what inspired me to get the black. There is a difference between the white and black. The black is a little more stable and I think that it is a little heavier. I also think that the black has a little more control due to the fact of the beam being much less tapered than the white, in fact the beam is practically straight for the most part.

I wont discredit the nPro open though. I never owned one but I did hit with it several times and feel it was a great racquet. Im just spoiled/partial to the prince port racquets because they are so easy to swing and comfortable on my arm.

LafayetteHitter
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Nah not girly racquets at all. My girlfriend just ends up with the racquets based upon specs I think would suit her and she hits pretty hard. She can't stand that splat sound that the big maw maw fem sticks make so she goes with the racquets that guys usually use.

galatti
09-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I have played with both. I bought the Pure Drive and I really regret buying it. It just... I don't know. The Prince is a really good frame. I highly suggest you buy it.

Why did you buy the PD in first place?

quest01
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I use the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick and im satisfied with it so far. The Speedport Black looks appealing, i like the headsize and look. I may have to demo it someday.

TravelinMan
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I use the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick and im satisfied with it so far. The Speedport Black looks appealing, i like the headsize and look. I may have to demo it someday.

I recently made the switch from the PDR to the Black. Mains reasons were wanting something a little lighter, less powerful, and more maneuverable at the net, and easier on the shoulder. I found that the Black fit all of these though I am still trying to find the best string set up.

Oxford
09-29-2007, 11:21 AM
I demoed the black last night on my ball machine and in a social match -- switching between the two between fed balls and games.

As much as I wanted my PDR to prevail...it did not. The Black was lighter for faster spin and had the prefect power for my game as well as control. The ball was a more "crisp" off the strings.

The Bab has always been a serving machine but the faster swing speed of the Black matched it. I felt I got better spin from the Black as well

With the PDR I have to temper my swing on put-aways or heavy shots and kinda hope for the best. With the Black there was a, "YEEHAWWW WATCH THIS"...feeling as the setters showed up.

The CONS against the Black was a little more hand shock than the PDR but what doesn't. And there was that "ping" sound that was annoying. It might have just been from the stings on my demo. Dunno.

And finally, the amazing thing is that when playing games last night with the PDR (which I've owned for 10 months) I would win sometimes and lose alot. With the Black...I won all my games.

galatti
09-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I recently made the switch from the PDR to the Black. Mains reasons were wanting something a little lighter, less powerful, and more maneuverable at the net, and easier on the shoulder. I found that the Black fit all of these though I am still trying to find the best string set up.

Any success on finding the best stribg setup?

cknobman
10-01-2007, 07:30 AM
When I moved to the speedport black from my kfactor 95 I decided to try an new string setup. Traditionally Ive always strung my racquets with a multi string which was either NXT 16 or Technifibre XOne BiPhase 16 but moving to the black which had more power I decided to move to a poly setup. Currently my black is strung with a full bed of Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 and I am loving it(also I am using the port insert and no vibration dampener). While there is a define loss of feel on the ball I get so much more power and control it is unbelievable. I can swing away and rip some pretty amazing forehand and backhands. When someone tries a dropper or short slice I am confident that I can whip a forehand topspin over the net without it sailing long.

I dont think I will ever go back to a full multi string job again but I may try a hybrid in the future. For now though, my full poly string job is doing wonders for my game.

I play alot of usta league tennis and using my Kfactor 95 my match record this year was: 11-7 (ok but not great).
Since moving to my Black my record is: 10-1.
Now I know alot of people could say there are many factors that affect a persons record and I cannot attribute the change in racquets 100% of the reason my record is better but I can say that the racquet has improved my game noticably.

LafayetteHitter
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Is this the only full poly job you have tried in the black? I currently have one strung with Pro Hurr Tour and really like it although I would like a little more ball feel. I am thinking of trying nat gut mains or a different full poly setup. Maybe SPPP 17g since my PH Tour is 16g. It came strung with the Pro Hurr Tour when I received it.

galatti
10-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Currently my black is strung with a full bed of Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16.

Cool! Which tension?

cknobman
10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
The babolat pro hurricane tour is the only poly job I have tried in my black, as I have only had it for one month but I was considering trying some ALU Big Banger Rough 16 in the future. There is also a good and cheap hybrid made by wilson that combines nxt and enduro pro and I was planning to possibly give it a try as well.

The tension I had my raquet strung at with the hurricane tour was 58lbs. It was ok at that tension, maybe a little too stiff, but after my 2nd time playing with it it loosened up quite a bit and that is when the racquet really started to feel good. I bet my tension now is close to 50 and the racquet feels like a dream. No more stiff response and I the ball stays on the strings a little longer giving great spin.

I didnt understand when I heard some of the pros were having their racquets strung in the low 50's even 40's but now that mine has lossened up it makes perfect sense for a poly since the strings arent prone to as much movement as a multi.

bluegrasser
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a speedport black and a PD in my bag - to me the PD swings a little easier, but the black is more solid and doesn't have the spring thing going on with the strings. The black feels heavier than the 11.3/5 oz & hits like a 12 oz stick, reminds me a little of the K 95 w/ a bigger sweetspot.

galatti
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
The black feels heavier than the 11.3/5 oz & hits like a 12 oz stick, reminds me a little of the K 95 w/ a bigger sweetspot.
I partially agree. I think the black hits like a 12 oz stick, reminds a little of the K 95 w/ a bigger sweetspot, but its much easier to swing :)