PDA

View Full Version : Lead to (K)surge and Wilson strings

tennismaster888
09-23-2007, 08:47 AM
A few days ago i was about to go rush and buy an nblade but a few of my tennis friends play with the (k)surge and say i should try it. My coach told me I was a 4.0 to 5.0 so I thought there was no way i should play with a racket that light. (According to tenniswarehouse its 10.3 ounces strung and 3 pts head heavy.) I was just using the fxp prestige which is over 12 ounces so i can handle a heavier racket so I thought maybe I should lead up the (k)surge and try it out. I was going to add 7 grams at each 3 and 9. Then put on a leather grip which adds about 14 grams. Then finally put 14 more in the handle. This would make the racket weigh approx. 11.8 ounces. What would be the result of these modifications? Im hoping that it becomes more headlight and less powerful. Also will the sweetspot move? Has anyone ever tried leading up a (k)surge?? Can u really do modifications like that until u buy a racket? because i really dont want to buy it without trying it.

Now to the strings part. I was curious which wilson strings meet these demands (not nat gut, too expensive); soft, arm friendly, and keep tension well.

My Playing Style:

My groundstrokes are my best shots. My forehand is more of a long stroke and my backhand is pretty compact. (backhand is more technically sound but not as powerful) My volleys and my serves are average. I like to try to mix in some drop shots and sneak into net when i have the chance. I hit a flat first serve and a kick second serve. Just tell me if u need more specific info or more details

thanks a lot =]

Seansaysrawr21
09-23-2007, 10:34 AM
sorry Ive never really played with a ksurge, but Im sure you could lead it up to your tastes, as for the strings do they need to be wilson?? because if you want a soft arm friendly string get babolat xcel premium or attraction those hold tension well but I bust them in like 45 minutes of play technifibre has some amazing strings too Biphase nrg etc. If you're interested in the surge though I would look at one of the older models Npro surge was pretty sweet when I played with it but kinda muted

tennismaster888
09-23-2007, 10:48 AM
sorry Ive never really played with a ksurge, but Im sure you could lead it up to your tastes, as for the strings do they need to be wilson?? because if you want a soft arm friendly string get babolat xcel premium or attraction those hold tension well but I bust them in like 45 minutes of play technifibre has some amazing strings too Biphase nrg etc. If you're interested in the surge though I would look at one of the older models Npro surge was pretty sweet when I played with it but kinda muted

thanks, yeah it would help if they were wilson because i can get good deals with wilson

tennismaster888
09-23-2007, 12:46 PM
ive decided just to do k gut as my strings...its worth it i guess...but does anyone else have any opinions on the customizing of the ksurge?

gh65721
09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I opened up the trap door of my Ksurge and stuffed cotton balls all the way down into the throat, then added strips of refrigerator magnets I got at Walmart, wrapped them in cotton balls, stuffed them inside also. Got it up to 12.4 oz. It plays much better now, much more solid. Very headlight now. Before the mods I found the stick very low powered with reaction strung at 63, groundstrokes had little pace.

gh65721
09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
By the way, I think you will love KGut, it is a great string, wish it was cheaper.

tennismaster888
09-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I opened up the trap door of my Ksurge and stuffed cotton balls all the way down into the throat, then added strips of refrigerator magnets I got at Walmart, wrapped them in cotton balls, stuffed them inside also. Got it up to 12.4 oz. It plays much better now, much more solid. Very headlight now. Before the mods I found the stick very low powered with reaction strung at 63, groundstrokes had little pace.

so you added like 2 ounces to the handle and none to the head?? do u know how headlight it is??? thanks

By the way, I think you will love KGut, it is a great string, wish it was cheaper.

yeah i wish it was cheaper to but its worth it :D