PDA

View Full Version : The effect of racquet customization with relation to racquet stiffness...

Teoman
09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
After experiencing with using lead on different parts of different racquets over the last 5 years, I have arrived at a conclusion. If you are playing with a very stiff racquet like many pros do, then you can add lead as you wish to your taste. But if you are using a flexible racquet then you would better add minimal lead to the racquet head (4-6 grams) since adding more to the racquet head and/or base makes the racquet very deaf. I think flexible racquets can not tolerate the added weight and loose their playability. Any comments?

travlerajm
09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I disagree. A flexible racquet benefits even more than a stiff frame.

But when adding weight to a flexy frame, the location that you add it will affect the dynamic stiffness. If you add lead to the upper handle, throat, or sides of the hoop, it will stiffen the frame at impact. If you add lead to the tip, it will add stability with minimal stiffening effect.

Alafter
09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Feel is subjective.

Teoman
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
My point, once again, is that: a light and very flexible racquet can not tolerate adding much lead while a stiff racquet can. The effect of weight distribution surely is more effective on a flexible material... I believe we need more opinions from those who frequently customize their racquets...