PDA

View Full Version : Paintjob question: How to print letterings?

shojun25
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a Diablo XP MP that I'm changing its paint job (too bright orange).

Making it look like a mix of Babolat Pure Storm and Yonex RQ is 1 Tour. So... black, red, and white color scheme.

I finished sanding down the racquet (which took FOREVER) and I have put the 2 coats of primer.

Now for my question: how do you print those sticker letterings??? I have no idea except that you will need especial paper. Can you go to Kinko's to get the letterings printed to stick to my racquet?

Thanks in advance!

tennispro11
09-23-2007, 05:12 PM
A poster on here by the name of Chris_in_Japan really knows his business about this stuff. If I were you I would PM him to get his attention. You can also look up "How to paint a racquet" using the search tool. He is really talented. Post some pics when you get yours done if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

VikingSamurai
09-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi, just saw this post.. To start, it all depends on what colour you want to do the lettering. And it also depends on the size. One way of doing it if it is large enough is to cut the letters out like a stencil and paint over. For smaller lettering, I usual use decals that I print. But white lettering on a dark background although not impossible is a pain in the a*s, and takes the most work.. As for the frame. You don't have to strip the paint off to the bone as some people think they do. As long as the surface is even and you have roughed it up enough for the next coat to grip on to, then it is fine. As for weight, its a myth that you will ad a great deal of weight the frame. Also, it is a good idea to seal it with a clear coat.. You can get this in a rattle can and just takes one or two hits.. Either flat or gloss is available..

shojun25
09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi, just saw this post.. To start, it all depends on what colour you want to do the lettering. And it also depends on the size. One way of doing it if it is large enough is to cut the letters out like a stencil and paint over. For smaller lettering, I usual use decals that I print. But white lettering on a dark background although not impossible is a pain in the a*s, and takes the most work.. As for the frame. You don't have to strip the paint off to the bone as some people think they do. As long as the surface is even and you have roughed it up enough for the next coat to grip on to, then it is fine. As for weight, its a myth that you will ad a great deal of weight the frame. Also, it is a good idea to seal it with a clear coat.. You can get this in a rattle can and just takes one or two hits.. Either flat or gloss is available..

For the decals, do you know where to get adhesive paper? I know you are in Japan, but is there any chance that you know of a place? Kinkos? Staples? :confused:

Also, I am adding the acrylic sealer after the PJ.

VikingSamurai
09-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Any decent model store.. Go over to www.finescale.com and ask around over there.. It is a modeling community and I am sure those guys will be able to tell you where you can get decal paper in the US.. You just put it in your printer and print custom decals on it..

shojun25
09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Thank you very much Chris.

By the way, your blue KFactor and blue Diablo PJ are awesome ;)

VikingSamurai
09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks mate, they were actually rough, as I just did them quickly to show how easy it can be.. But if you really want to do a good job, dont rush it and take your time..