PDA

View Full Version : Butt cap? What does it do?

thanu
09-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Just curious.. what is the point of the butt cap on a tennis racquet? I understand if you want to add weight to he handle, it'll keep the weights from falling out (if you use fishing weights or anything else you put inside).... but if you don't have anything inside the handle, why do you need a butt cap?

Thanu

mclee025
09-23-2007, 10:40 PM
It gives the end of the handle a flair (kind of like the end of the baseball bat) so that it's easier to hang on to it. Otherwise you'd probably see a lot of people losing the handle of their racquet and accidentally flinging the racquet into the ground or worse.

davey
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
It caps the butt. For my preference, most butt caps flair out too much. I have replaced mine with some shrink wrap so it doesn't flair out as much and the taper extends a bit further up the handle. It feels much more comfortable to grip.

volusiano
09-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Even if there's nothing inside to keep from falling out, I would think that the butt cap also helps keep things for getting inside and sticking inside, like dirt, moisture, insects, etc. It would also help make the racket looks better and finished, don't you think?