PDA

View Full Version : Grip sizes.

[ GTR ]
09-24-2007, 03:15 AM
I use 3 ncode 90's for tennis. All of them are 4 3/8. I have one extra (brand new) ncode 90 in 4 1/2. I don't want to use it and I no one is buying it off e b a y. I tried selling it a few times and no one is interested.

So what I'm asking is... is 4 1/2 a big difference from 4 3/8 in real play? I compared them together and it looks a lot bigger.

Would it be best for me to take the leather grip off, put lead tape on the handle and use an overgrip? Would that make the grip size closer to my 4 3/8 size?

keithchircop
09-24-2007, 03:21 AM
In Australia racquets cost more. It's hard to get good money for it from an American, who can get it from a store dirt cheap.

Using one overgrip with no replacement grip is hard on the hands, unless it's Wilson Xtra Comfi overgrip.

[ GTR ]
09-24-2007, 03:58 AM
In Australia racquets cost more. It's hard to get good money for it from an American, who can get it from a store dirt cheap.

Using one overgrip with no replacement grip is hard on the hands, unless it's Wilson Xtra Comfi overgrip.

Well I tried so sell it on e b a y.com.au and still no one was interested. So an overgrip over no replacement grip is much harder than overgrip on leather?

Duzza
09-24-2007, 04:08 AM

Interestingly enough, I just paid 120AUD all up for an nSix One 90 to be shipped here in 7/10 condition, while a local store is selling them new for 150AUD.

slice bh compliment
09-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Other suggestions:

1] The size 4 is fine. It's really not that big. You're a macho Aussie, so ''man up!'' Use the bigger one for a week, fall in love with it and build your size 3 sticks up to a size 4 with a heat shrink sleeve. Account for any weight/balance differences with a little lead tape.

2] IS this size 4 totally brand new, with the plastic on the grip? If so, maybe you can find a coach/pro/stringer/pro shop manager to trade it out for another size 3 from their inventory. I'm sure there is a web listing of local Wilson dealers willing to help you.

3] Last resort here. Take the grip off, sand down each of the eight sides down 1/64 of an inch. 1/64 multiplied by eight sides = 1/8 of an inch...which is one grip size. Do it with precision so you keep the shape proper. I've done this badly once and pretty well four or five times (when converting some of my size 5s down to a size 4 for my wife and her friend).
Then put the grip(s) back on and weight all four sticks. Use lead, and a balance board to match them all up exactly. If they do not match, you'll find yourself using one more than another.

4] Do you really need a 4th stick? Maybe someone less fortunate could use the one you do not want. Maybe you can donate it to a charity auction or a raffle, and it will raise good money for a cause you believe in. Either way is good, and you're sharing the game you love.

My favorite ideas are #s 1 and 2.

Take care. Hope you find the best answer for your situation.

keithchircop
09-24-2007, 05:10 AM
;1771450']So an overgrip over no replacement grip is much harder than overgrip on leather?

All the talk on these boards about how hard leather grips are, are comparisons made to synthetic grips. The bare pallet is much harder.

[ GTR ]
09-24-2007, 05:41 AM
2] IS this size 4 totally brand new, with the plastic on the grip? If so, maybe you can find a coach/pro/stringer/pro shop manager to trade it out for another size 3 from their inventory. I'm sure there is a web listing of local Wilson dealers willing to help you.

Wow, really? I didn't know. Yeah this brand new one is totally brand new:
-plastic on grip
-unstrung (never been strung before)
-still got the original cardboard in place
-got original ncode bag

So do you really think a shop can trade it out for size 3 for free?

sharp*shooter
09-24-2007, 06:35 AM
I have the same situation, my usual grip size is 4 3/8 but one of my rackets is 4 1/2, I can use it pretty well but on occasion it keeps slipping and I don't feel confortable with it, also because of its size I can't use an overgrip either because that would make it almost 4 5/8. I'd just try selling it again somehow or trading.

gerikoh
09-24-2007, 08:52 AM
hello mate.
my proper grip size is 3/8 and i have one extra racquet that happens to be 1/4. so what i did is i used the gamma high tech gel contour replacement as it increases the grip size by almost 1 size. then added some 2 overgrips on it and the rest as it just feels the same.
yours is just the other way around :)

AndrewD
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Do you use overgrips? If you do, you've probably increased your 3/8 grip to a 1/2. That being the case, you could just put a synthetic grip on the 1/2 and play it as is (no overgrip).

[ GTR ]
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Do you use overgrips? If you do, you've probably increased your 3/8 grip to a 1/2. That being the case, you could just put a synthetic grip on the 1/2 and play it as is (no overgrip).

But it would feel different and the weight too.

keithchircop
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
An overgrip increases the swingweight by about 0.25. you wouldn't feel it.

[ GTR ]
09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
An overgrip increases the swingweight by about 0.25. you wouldn't feel it.

He told me to put a normal synthetic replacement grip on the 4 1/2. Taking the leather off doesn't take weight off?

abenguyen
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
;1772348']He told me to put a normal synthetic replacement grip on the 4 1/2. Taking the leather off doesn't take weight off?

yes it will. leather is a little heavier than synthetic grips so you can try putting some lead tape on the grip, like one strip, on 2 sides, and then it should help a little

slice bh compliment
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
;1771519']...So do you really think a shop can trade it out for size 3 for free?

Yeah, man, I really think a cool pro or shop manager would do that for you. 4 and a half ought to be a verry popular size for a manly stick like that. Trouble is, they may not stock too many anymore 'cause the K-factor is the current model.

But, trust me, most small pro shops are cool about a switch, especially if your stick is mint and not some fake off the 3-Bay. Me, I've only asked to do a trade it once, and I bought a case of balls, some socks and some leather grips from the guy on the same day we traded. That'll always help.;)

Well best of luck, gtr. Peace,
--slice

keithchircop
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
;1772348']He told me to put a normal synthetic replacement grip on the 4 1/2. Taking the leather off doesn't take weight off?

That would take about 10 grams off more or less.

[ GTR ]
09-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Yeah, man, I really think a cool pro or shop manager would do that for you. 4 and a half ought to be a verry popular size for a manly stick like that. Trouble is, they may not stock too many anymore 'cause the K-factor is the current model.

But, trust me, most small pro shops are cool about a switch, especially if your stick is mint and not some fake off the 3-Bay. Me, I've only asked to do a trade it once, and I bought a case of balls, some socks and some leather grips from the guy on the same day we traded. That'll always help.;)

Well best of luck, gtr. Peace,
--slice

Wow, cool thanks for the help.

[ GTR ]
09-25-2007, 04:37 AM
That would take about 10 grams off more or less.

I know it's not much but, well for me putting on replacement grips is so annoying compared to overs. Plus all the sticky residue will stay on...

Will using 2 overgrips be easier?

goosala
09-25-2007, 07:41 AM
How much do you want for it?

abenguyen
09-25-2007, 08:09 PM
;1773380']I know it's not much but, well for me putting on replacement grips is so annoying compared to overs. Plus all the sticky residue will stay on...

Will using 2 overgrips be easier?

2 overgrips will still cause shock to your arm. if you don't want the residue, take the leather grip off and clip the pallet. whatever it takes, some "Goo-gone" might help. clean it off well and then put a new synthetic grip on. don't be lazy