PDA

View Full Version : 98 vs. 90/93 Advantages of smaller headsize?

Japanese Maple
09-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Currently playing with Head Prestige 98 but may want to switch to smaller headsize like Wilson nsix 90 or Head flexpoint 93. Solid 4.5 allcourt player who likes to drive and spin the ball-plenty of power with lead tape added. Besides more control, what else could a 90 headsize provide- good and bad? Thanks for your input.

sharp*shooter
09-24-2007, 06:15 AM
All things being equal I don't think there are any real advantages.. its all down to preference (and maybe a bit of psychology).

samster
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Just buy it and try it.

OR

You can do a search on this topic, which is beaten to death by all board members.

It all comes down to personal preference, in my opinion.

Japanese Maple
09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Samster, other than a smaller headsize provides more control this topic has not been beat to death! I am looking for input regarding if a smaller headsize provides more spin, greater racquet acceleration, more powerful serve due to greater racquet speed , ect. Of course I am going to demo the racquets before buying. Obviously you have not played with a smaller head or else you would have provided insightful input.

samster
09-24-2007, 07:14 AM
It all comes down to personal preference, in my opinion.

That was my insightful input. Have fun with your demos. :D

Vision84
09-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Samster, other than a smaller headsize provides more control this topic has not been beat to death! I am looking for input regarding if a smaller headsize provides more spin, greater racquet acceleration, more powerful serve due to greater racquet speed , ect. Of course I am going to demo the racquets before buying. Obviously you have not played with a smaller head or else you would have provided insightful input.

Smaller racket will not provide as much power generally so the pace of shots will be less, including serve I would imagine. Of course you should be able to place the ball better due to better control. I would imagine the spin potential would be less as well cause of the smaller stringbed but it depends on whether it is an open or closed pattern. I am not aware of any small head sizes with open string patterns though.

smittysan89
09-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Truthfully the FXP Prestige MP with enough lead added is just as good as the mid just with a bigger head. The extra mass of the mid does help on serve as well as giving you more weight of shot. Generally the bigger the headsize the more spin available. The Prestige MP is barely even a midplus, its listed at 98in but its probably more around 95.