PDA

View Full Version : Your Suggestions on Racquet Weight?

TripleB
09-24-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm currently having back pain (and laziness problems at times) which is causing me problems on my forehand return. I have a two handed backhand which seems to help me get the racquet back into position better from that side. But on the forehand side I seem to have problems getting the racquet back far enough to get enough power on the ball to make an effective return.

I'm wanting your opinions on which weight of racquet might help me improve in this area:

1) A 'heavier' racquet (> than 11.8 ounces) so that the extra weight will help in rotating my 'trunk' and the extra weight will also aide in blocking the ball back when I don't have time to prepare

2) A 'lighter' racquet (< than 11.2 ounces) so that the racquet will feel/be lighter and I'll be able to get the racquet back quicker (and further) for my return

3) A 'powerful' racquet in the 11.2 to 11.8 ounces range so that it will feel somewhat light but still have some mass (with power) to block returns back.

Right now I'm using a Yonex RDX500 Midplus that, when I'm healthy and in shape, I play pretty well with (other than a weak serve). Currently things are not so good with it....not enough power to crush my return when I don't swing out, not quite heavy enough to block back returns effectively, and not light enough to make it easy to pull back and whip through the return.

Thanks for your input.

TripleB