PDA

View Full Version : What slopes are you "hitting" this season?

jmsx521
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I've never skied in the Salt Lake City area and have heard good comments in the ski forums about the well-groomed snow at Deer Valley, Park City, Solitude, Solitude, Snowbird, and Alta. I hope to "hit" 4-5 resorts in a 5-day skiing vacation.
www.skiutah.com

Voltron
09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Hmmm, I'm not sure yet, although I'm not even sure if I'm going this year. (I'm not sure if I can afford to miss tournaments)

tennis-n-sc
09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Been to SLC several times and returning Christmas to ski Snowbasin and The Canyons, for sure. The will likely hit Alta and Brighton again. They usually have great early snow so am looking forward to it. Snowbird is my least favorite of the area slopes. Solitude is nice, as well. Deer Valley is a nice family mountain. Take lots of green stuff. I have enjoyed Park City as well.

Kevin T
09-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Been to SLC several times and returning Christmas to ski Snowbasin and The Canyons, for sure. The will likely hit Alta and Brighton again. They usually have great early snow so am looking forward to it. Snowbird is my least favorite of the area slopes. Solitude is nice, as well. Deer Valley is a nice family mountain. Take lots of green stuff. I have enjoyed Park City as well.

Let me agree with Tennis-N-SC completely. IMHO, Snowbird is nice but generally WAY overcrowded. I really don't dig Park City's vibe. IMHO, Brighton as the funnest mix of slopes/terrain and Solitude is just what the name says, don't think I've ever been there when I didn't get right on the lifts, plus they have a really cool staff and everything is nice and open. I'll be there in January, hopefully sooner. Have fun.

Craig Sheppard
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Funny, I'll be going to Park City in late Feb... (After Pres' Day)... Don't know where yet though, still looking.

kevhen
09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Went to SLC last December and loved it. Cheaper and less crowded than Colorado with same great powder snow. Alta was well groomed but slower lifts. Canyons was huge with great lifts but much was ungroomed but I still oved it there. Snowbird looks great. Brighton is for night skiing. Deer Valley is very classy with valets and excellent lodging. A buddy of mine also skied Park City and didn't like it as much as Canyons or Snow Basin.

Check out Olympic Park. We were luck enough to meet some gold medal skeleton ladies since they were racing that day. I want to move to Salt Lake City now just because of the awesome skiing and uncrowded feel.

09-25-2007, 12:31 PM
now that the Canadian $$$ is on par with the greenback, my list of resorts I want to most-visit in the lower 48 are:
- Big Sky + Bridger Bowl, MT
- Lake Tahoe
- Sante Fe area, NM
- Aspen
- Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggs, VT

ShooterMcMarco
09-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Steven's Pass

I'm in the market for a new snowboard, any suggestions for a first-time buyer? Any good online stores to consider?

GRANITECHIEF
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I've gotten my last few new boards from e b a y at completely rediculous prices. Other than that, reioutlet.com is pretty good on close out boards.

LuckyR
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I haven't been to Utah since before the Olympics but if I remember correctly Granitechief you have kids and all, so is this going to be a family vacation? If so, the Park City vibe is perfectly fine for that. Since it is actually a city there is more available there after or instead of skiing than the smaller "resorts" where hooking up with Miss Right-now is the order of the day.

angharad
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I try to get out to Tahoe at least once in the winter, but I'm not sure I'll be able to this year.

GRANITECHIEF
09-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I haven't been to Utah since before the Olympics but if I remember correctly Granitechief you have kids and all, so is this going to be a family vacation? If so, the Park City vibe is perfectly fine for that. Since it is actually a city there is more available there after or instead of skiing than the smaller "resorts" where hooking up with Miss Right-now is the order of the day.

Thats correct, i do have kids, 4 of em, and all of our vacations are family vacations for the near future. However, i didn't mention going to Park City. We usually go to Tahoe since we have a place to stay there and since i'm addicted to KT22 at Squaw.

I do have some friends that offered to host us in Park City and its been several years since i've gone to Utah, so it maybe in order for this season.

Finding miss-right on the slopes would be awesome.

This year i hope to go to Tahoe (Squaw), Mammoth & Utah (Snowbird / Alta / Canyons)

LuckyR
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Thats correct, i do have kids, 4 of em, and all of our vacations are family vacations for the near future. However, i didn't mention going to Park City. We usually go to Tahoe since we have a place to stay there and since i'm addicted to KT22 at Squaw.

I do have some friends that offered to host us in Park City and its been several years since i've gone to Utah, so it maybe in order for this season.

Finding miss-right on the slopes would be awesome.

This year i hope to go to Tahoe (Squaw), Mammoth & Utah (Snowbird / Alta / Canyons)

Hahaha, I didn't say Miss Right, I said Miss Right-now. There's a difference...

basil J
09-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I live in the Boston area. I rent a ski house at Killington every year. I try to get 30-40 days in a year but with 2 little ones, I'm lucky if i get 15 days ina year nowadays. I have been to Tahoe over 15 times in the last 15 years. Love Kirkwood and "squallywood". I had a friend who was on the freestyle team at squaw in the 90's and when we would visit, we would do laps on "dead tree chute", KT22 , sun bowl, ( in the am)and broken arrow. She knew the mountain so well, it was an adventure everytime out there. I met my wife at Killington, so don't lose hope. Chicks on sticks rock! BTW, Alta definitely rules little cotton wood canyon. Much better than snowbird. No boarders and no ice.

mhstennis100
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm going to Steamboat, Colorado over Christmas break. I've been there 5 times in the last 10 years. Never skiied anywhere else, but I love Steamboat.

tennis-n-sc
09-26-2007, 03:36 AM
I'm going to Steamboat, Colorado over Christmas break. I've been there 5 times in the last 10 years. Never skiied anywhere else, but I love Steamboat.

Steamboat is a great mountain. The resort was recently purchased by Intrawest so expect some great improvements and higher prices.

shwetty[tennis]balls
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm actually a resident of Salt Lake. Your question depends on what you want to get out of your experience, and on whether you're a skiier or a boarder. Alta, for instance, doesn't allow boarders on the mountain, and as far as the snow and terrain go, it's by far the very best in Utah, definately the best in the U.S. and arguably one of the top in North America. Assuming you're a skiier, you'll appreciate the "no snowboarders" policy. I would definately start out with Alta, especially if you're looking for challenging and fun terrain. Snowbird is actually on the same mountain, more or less- while driving to Alta, you'll hit Snowbird first on the same road, which is why Alta and Snowbird are usually the big favorites for hardcore skiiers, and advanced Snowboarders.
If you want to enjoy a much more "resortish" feeling, shops, restaurants, as well as decent slopes, I'd suggest Deer Valley, followed by the Canyons (I actually like the Canyons better for the skiing, but Deer Valley is closer to Park City). There are a TON of people, however, on these mountains, which gets annoying after a short while.
If you want no hassle, no nonsense and prefer a mountain with as little people around as possible, I would send you to Solitude or Snow Basin. Personally, 7 times out of ten, I usually get my season pass at Solitude. You get great snow, great terrain(not as good as Snowbird or Alta), and virtually the whole mountain to yourself, which is the greatest feeling in the world. Every run you hit , you can find untracked snow.
I avoid Brighton nowdays because there are too many obnoxiuos trick boarders and skiiers there, always cutting people off, being rude, stupid and dangerous. It's a great mountain, but the lines are too long and you'll always run into some stupid kid trying to **** people off.
I hope you find yourself welcome when you hit us in Salt Lake and enjoy yourself, it's a great place to be in the winter time!!!
Any other questions, feel free to email me-
faahee1@yahoo.com

The_Dark_Knight
09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I went snowboarding for the first time this past january in new mexico. It was pretty fun once I got the hang of it.

I hope to go again sometime.

Max Winther
09-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I live in new mexico and i plan on doing my usual trips to Angel Fire, Red River, Santa Fe, Durango, and Wolf Creek. I live like 10 minutes away from the Sandia Crest, so I usually go there on any weekend when I'm bored and have money.

nickybol
09-30-2007, 12:55 AM
I will probably go to some French or Austrian resort in the Alps.

peter
09-30-2007, 03:21 AM
The slippery slope, of course!

Mike Bulgakov
09-30-2007, 04:38 AM
The slippery slope, of course!

I have tried the slippery slope and wouldn't recommend it, but the downward spiral is even worse.

NLBwell
09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Most years I get my Copper Mountain pass, but for a change this year I will go with the Keystone/Breckenridge/10 days at Vail pass.

The_Dark_Knight
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
I might go sand-boarding on the dunes over at South Padre Island.

Hey, it's still a slope...

jmsx521
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Due to weather-conditions, change of mind for me.... Maybe Loveland, Colorado now. And for even greater adventure, I am shooting for sleeping on the mountain too.

ShooterMcMarco
10-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Just got my board and bindings in the mail. This is my first season with my own equipment (frikkin rentals ;) ). I am so excited for this:

http://i21.tinypic.com/2dvkaio.jpg

Burton Elite board
Burton Custom bindings
Burton moto boots

skiracer55
10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
...good at all the Vail Corp resorts, also a Loveland Pass, also an Eldora Pass, which is where I train for Masters racing. So, all of the above, plus we have races (including the Western Championships) at Winter Park and also two weekends of downhill racing at Ski Cooper...

ShooterMcMarco
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Anyone hit the slopes yet? I did on saturday, and ended up with a mild concussion, luckily I wore a helmet :-|

For any boarders out there, any recommendations on how to keep most of your weight on the front leg? By leaning back, I had one of my worst crashes. This is something that I need to fix.

jmsx521
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Doesn't your balance need to be in the middle on a snowboard?

GRANITECHIEF
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
OK ShooterMM, you gotta stop trying those 70 ft cliff drop 1080's of the first day of the season.

Balance should be fairly centered during steady state crusing, but when turning you have to shift over the nose to start the turn,then slowly transition edge pressure progressively toward the tail through the turn, then back over the front for the next one.

To keep more weight over the front, leave the tea party and take off the skirt, fear is what makes you lean back. Conceptualize perpendicularity of your body with respect to the slope you are on, the steeper it is the more you need to lean forward to turn efficiently. As you know now, leaning back means the board takes you for a ride as opposed to the opposite.

ShooterMcMarco
12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice Granite. Yeah, I think I'll have to rest up and avoid the 1080's for now. I have stiff neck and feel a little dizzy, which are signs of a concussion, so maybe it wasn't as mild as I thought it was. At least I didn't lose consciousness when I crashed.

Kevin T
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey Granite,

I've noticed from previous threads that you're a pretty advanced skier. Any ski/binding recs.(size, brand, etc.) for a big guy (6'3", 225#), intermediate, reforming pretty good snowboarder/surfer/skater that used to ski and is getting back into skiing, that likes to carve and go fairly fast, no tricks, no moguls (spelling?), no flips, no racing, etc.? :) Also, are racing skis/slalom skis a little too much for...should I go with all-mountain? For reference, I'll be skiing in Utah and likely around Tahoe this year, maybe Big Bear and maybe some WVA junk when I visit home. A guy on the bay is selling 2-3 year old Kneissl skis for cheap. Thanks!

tennis-n-sc
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Heading to Utah in a couple of weeks. I can hardly wait. Looks like everyone is getting lots of early snow.

GRANITECHIEF
12-10-2007, 12:23 PM
KevinT,

Sounds like some GS skis around 180-185 might fit the bill, not race stock though as those would be stiffer and more for diamond dudes. Or some all mountain sticks might be good too. All brands have skis in that catagory and i happen to like atomic, rozzi and volkl.

I am down with the bay, that's where i got my last couple snowboards and skis at rediculous prices.

I'll be in Tahoe too this year. Maybe meet up for some burn/turn!!!

MTChong
12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Hopefully, just some resorts in Tahoe during my winter break. Then it's back to school for me; I don't know if I'll have much time, but Killington is nearby -- supposed to be decent though I'm skeptical having grown up going to Tahoe.

Kevin T
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Granite,

Thanks!! I really appreciate the reply. My wife's folks live just outside Sacto, so Jan-March are possibilities for Tahoe. I'll keep you updated via this board. Always down for hanging out with Twers.

Tennis-N-SC,

Have fun in Utah. Sounds like you're guaranteed a white Christmas! Enjoy!

Tour 90
12-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Sugarloaf, Maine of course, favorite mountain.
then going to CA to go to Mammoth in Feb.

I ski btw, snowboarders ruin the snow! (the kids who just sit infront of jumps for like 20 minutes and finally go and land on the crest on their ***!)

tbini87
12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
i think i am going to be snowboarding in Tahoe this year at HEavenly. from what i hear it is amazing, so it should be a blast.

Hot Sauce
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Big White on January 3rd for 3 days and 2 nights!

Tennis-Chris
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Chamonix
Verbier
KitzbÜhel
St. Moritz
Deer Valley (After returning to US)

jmsx521
12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I'll be hitting the Swiss Alps with Roger, before the AO.

ShooterMcMarco
12-13-2007, 09:07 AM
If you crash once on a helmet are you supposed to replace it?

GRANITECHIEF
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Only if you've done structural damage.

How's the noggin?

CAM178
12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Chamonix
Verbier
KitzbÜhel
St. Moritz
Deer Valley (After returning to US)

Seriously?! I'm jealous. Please post up pics post-trips. :)

ShooterMcMarco
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Only if you've done structural damage.

How's the noggin?

Its doing better, although my neck still hurts a little bit. On the outside of the helmet there is no damage, though I'm not sure if there was any invisible damage to the interior of the helmet

GRANITECHIEF
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I finally got to go sliding !!! Yeah!!!

Conditions were a little bony at Squaw Valley, as in rocks trees and bushes sticking out, but we managed to find a line down the hill anyway. The hills (sierra nevada) still need at least 4 more feet of snow. However, it looks like there is about double that hitting by the end of the weekend, a MONSTER STORM!!!

Here are a couple short vid clips, the first is my friend and the second is me jumping into the GS Bowl at the top of KT22.

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0930.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0929.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

tbini87
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
i got to snowboard at Heavenly in So Lake Tahoe a few days before x-mas and it was fun. i will be going back up there for a few days in about a week and a half. if there is more snow it will be awesome!

ChipNCharge
01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm heading over to Red River, NM in two weeks!!

jmsx521
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I finally got to go sliding !!! Yeah!!!

Conditions were a little bony, as in rocks trees and bushes sticking out, but we managed to find a line down the hill anyway. The hills (sierra nevada) still need at least 4 more feet of snow. However, it looks like there is about double that hitting by the end of the weekend, a MONSTER STORM!!!

Here are a couple short vid clips.

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0930.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0929.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1Looks like I am jealous after seeing the videos!

tbini87
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
on my way to so lake tahoe right now to hit up heavenly. supposed to be some of the best conditions they have seen in a while! should be absolutely amazing.

BMG
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
The northeast has some great conditions this year (finally)!! I've been hitting Sugarbush/Mad River in Vt. and either Sugarloaf or Sunday River in ME pretty much every weekend and vacation weeks:) since late November. I love skiing out west but this stuff in New England is good enough for me; and under 3 hours drive.

basil J
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I've been skiing Smuggler's notch & Stowe VT & Cannon NH . We've had epic conditions up until this week. This thaw is going to diminish trail counts for sure. Tahoe looks sick right now with over 100" in the last 10 days. I just booked a week at the "loaf" in Maine for march, my favorite hill outside of tahoe. My 4 year old daughter has been out 5 times this year and she was snow plowing on her own last weekend! She loves it!
Kevin T, try the Fischer rx8 if you want a great, versatile carver that performs well all over the hill. They are reasonably priced and worth every penny.

CAM178
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Living in TX now, I miss skiing. I was living in NH, and skied at a good bit of the places you've mentioned. Damn I miss skiing. :( Hope to make it back in March to maybe hit some NH and ME mountains.

Max G.
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Cottonwood Canyons is where it's at! I went there in late December of last year. Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton. Awesome stuff.

tennis-n-sc
01-11-2008, 03:13 AM
If you crash once on a helmet are you supposed to replace it?

Depends on the head injuries. You may no longer need a helmet!!!!:)

tennis-n-sc
01-11-2008, 03:16 AM
We spent Christmas week in Utah (Park City) playing at Park City, The Canyons and Deer Valley. Great conditions. We have reservations for Steamboat during spring break in late March. Looks like all the Rockies are getting huge amounts of snow.

tbini87
01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
i am going to kirkwood in lake tahoe right now... then heavenly tomorrow. supposedly the conditions are epic... i mean the house i am at has snow about 2 feet short of the top of their 6 ft fence in the backyard. jacuzzi in the back yard surrounded by snow was fun last night!

GRANITECHIEF
01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Three cheers for Lake Tahoe!!!!

I am headed up tonite. Going to Squaw Valley Sat and Sunday. I'll be sure to hike to the top of GraniteChief! HAHAHA!!

Everyone that is hitting slopes needs to at least post a few pics, and ideally some video clips, including jumps and crashes!!!

Kevin T
01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Tennis-N-SC,

Heading to SLC next weekend. My best bud works in the outdoor retail industry and the annual outdoor retail show is there the week of the 21st. Free room, free lift tickets, free flight (thanks Southwest!!), I'll be in heaven!! Will be trying out some new Kneissl skis I picked up last month. Haven't seriously been skiing in ~8 years (snowboarding only). I'll let you know what slopes we hit. Glad you had a good time

Granite,

Lucky dog!! Have fun and be safe. I'm hopefully heading to Tahoe the last weekend in Feb.

Kaptain Karl
01-11-2008, 09:35 AM
If you want a good forum for skiing, join "The Bears" (http://forums.epicski.com/)at Epic Ski. They're a great bunch of people, always friendly and willing to share advice.

I'm going to a Demo Day tomorrow. I need to find a ski for Big Mountain / Free-riding. My Rossi 9X-Pros get a bit too unstable at speed....

- KK

tennis-n-sc
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Tennis-N-SC,

Heading to SLC next weekend. My best bud works in the outdoor retail industry and the annual outdoor retail show is there the week of the 21st. Free room, free lift tickets, free flight (thanks Southwest!!), I'll be in heaven!! Will be trying out some new Kneissl skis I picked up last month. Haven't seriously been skiing in ~8 years (snowboarding only). I'll let you know what slopes we hit. Glad you had a good time

Granite,

Lucky dog!! Have fun and be safe. I'm hopefully heading to Tahoe the last weekend in Feb.

Hey KT, let me know how it goes. Your snow should be awesome.

johlhausen
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM

I was there over christmas too! I heard somebody say that there were 15,000 people on the mountain the sunday after christmas. Those guys must be making millions.

How bout that 11 in. of powder?!? Even though it was cold, the skiing was awesome.

LanEvo
01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
the Snow Bowl up in Flagstaff, AZ is pretty nice

ShooterMcMarco
01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Granite if you're out there, any advice for riding powder? I went up last thursday, and it was the most snow I've ever boarded in. The powder was knee deep, and it was falling the entire day. I found myself digging in a lot. It was fun as hell though, I love the powder!

Dedans Penthouse
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Telluride, CO

Hot Sauce
01-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Just came back from Big White (in Kelowna). Some of the best snow I've boarded on! The village is great too.

Kevin T
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Boys and girls,

Let me rub it in a little bit...I was in Utah the last 3 days....ummmm....yeah....ummmm. Brighton had like a 100" base and got 12" Sunday night. Ole Kev and his buds were there ~8:30am. Little Cottonwood was closed and we were sweating it that the road to Big Cottonwood would close (or do I have those reversed? I always mix them up). Until noon or 1pm, I bet the place had 1/10 of the normal crowd for an MLK holiday. Powder up to your knees in many spots! So deep that my snowboarding buds kept getting stuck on the flats. I was skiing for the first time in ~8 years and had a blast. Even black diamonds were doable and that's saying something for a reformed snowboarder like me. For the surfers out there, it was the equivalent of 8 ft and glassy. Back and work now and my leg muscles are still twitching into turns. I hope others on the TW boards go to enjoy it. Some of the locals were saying it was one of the best days in the last 5-10 years. I guess someone upstairs likes me :)

rommil
01-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Just came back from a ski trip in Winter Park, Colorado. It was my first time but went with expert skiers. That town is beautiful and the skiing is awesome but I could not go on anymore on the third day.

tbini87
01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
just saw the thread again... and wanted to say that Heavenly is so lake tahoe was... heavenly! besides being really packed (5 minute wait in line...) it was awesome. the snow was awesome (actually snowed a little when we first got there). the tree runs were a blast, and the terrain parks weren't shabby either!

Kaptain Karl
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Skied Monarch (southern Colorado) two weeks ago on a Demo Day. The powder was between boot top and just-above-the-knee, depending on where you were. Great time to be demo-ing powder boards! (I liked the Volkl Mantra "okay," but it got a little twitchy at higher cruising speeds. I *loved* the Dynastar Pro Riders! But no decision yet....)

I'm meeting a bunch of folks from all over the continent at Copper in a few days. Skiing in a group of more than six is a general pain, so I'm expecting we'll split into smaller groups and meet up for lunch ... then for drinks ... (and, of course, lies).

Wa-hoo!!!

- KK

Dedans Penthouse
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I've had it with these racist, violent threads.

:evil:

Kevin T
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Skied Monarch (southern Colorado) two weeks ago on a Demo Day. The powder was between boot top and just-above-the-knee, depending on where you were. Great time to be demo-ing powder boards! (I liked the Volkl Mantra "okay," but it got a little twitchy at higher cruising speeds. I *loved* the Dynastar Pro Riders! But no decision yet....)

I'm meeting a bunch of folks from all over the continent at Copper in a few days. Skiing in a group of more than six is a general pain, so I'm expecting we'll split into smaller groups and meet up for lunch ... then for drinks ... (and, of course, lies).

Wa-hoo!!!

- KK

Hey KK,

Did you try any of the new Fischers (can't remember the model names)? One of my buds is pretty high on them but they clock in at over $1000 (ouch!).

GRANITECHIEF
01-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Granite if you're out there, any advice for riding powder? I went up last thursday, and it was the most snow I've ever boarded in. The powder was knee deep, and it was falling the entire day. I found myself digging in a lot. It was fun as hell though, I love the powder!

Hey Shooter,

Basically, weight to the back just a bit (to keep the tip up), keep up the speed and don't turn too much.

Here is some coverage of my most recent trip 1/12/08:

Granite Jr. (12) sliding down Squaw Valley black diamond runs:
http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0952.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0959.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0960.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Some friends near the top of KT22:
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=IMG_0948.jpg
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=IMG_0949.jpg

Me chillin with Granite Chief peak next to my left shoulder:
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=IMG_0957.jpg
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=IMG_0958.jpg

And this vid again just because!
http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0929.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Lets go people, get the digi cameras workin, including the video function!!

GRANITECHIEF
01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Gotta love Mammoth! And no, this isn't me.

http://www.adventurefilmworks.com/Videos/May10.mov

sapient007
01-31-2008, 12:39 PM
going to utah next week. have 3 slopes picked in this order alta on the first day, solitude then park city. i'm a east coast skiier so i hope i don't kill myself too much out there

Kaptain Karl
01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Great pics, GC!! Little GC's lookin' good out there. (You'd better keep in shape!)

Hey KK,

Did you try any of the new Fischers (can't remember the model names)? One of my buds is pretty high on them but they clock in at over $1000 (ouch!).I'm 6'2" 200, and I'm looking for a "one ski quiver" so the Watea's (94 & 101) are "out" for being too flexy. The RX Big Heat 184s are still on my list, though.

I'm also looking to demo the Head iM88s and I'd probably just buy the Blizzard T9s or TPros if I saw them on a popular auction site. My son actually used "Buy It Now" to swipe a pair to T9s right out from under my nose last month. If I could catch up to him, I'd bump him off the mountain...!

going to utah next week. have 3 slopes picked in this order alta on the first day, solitude then park city. i'm a east coast skiier so i hope i don't kill myself too much out thereI've skied Alta and Snowbird TONS. (And I did when I was a New Yorker, too.) If I were you, I'd do those resorts in precisely the reverse order. (Real skiing at Alta means hiking for it. You'd probably be "hardened" for the steep stuff after two days to adjust to the altitude ... and the rigor of real skiing.)

- KK

zapvor
01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
damn you guys are pros...i am heading up to PA next month. there wont be any footage i am afraid..i am noob lol

also: out of curioisty-have any of you tried ninth ward skis?

ShooterMcMarco
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
SnowboarderMcMarco strapped up and good to go

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3499/p1290140copy2rb1.jpg

sapient007
02-01-2008, 06:23 AM
damn you guys are pros...i am heading up to PA next month. there wont be any footage i am afraid..i am noob lol

also: out of curioisty-have any of you tried ninth ward skis?

no, but i think they are more park oriented. If you are looking for skis, just demo a few now. they are like tennis racquets in that you have to find what fits you. PA should of received a decent dump last night so you can get some good runs in if you drag yourself out to first chair

shwetty[tennis]balls
02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Goin' to Solitude in Utah tomorrow morning. I'll be there as soon as the lifts open. I'm a Salt Lake resident so this won't be my first trip up, but this week has seen almost 5 FEET of snow with a fresh pocket deposited tomorrow. I'm ecstatic!!!

GRANITECHIEF
02-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Goin to Squaw Valley in the morning. All i have to do is drive for 9 hours after work today!!

Conditions should be unbelievable with a fresh foot since yesterday, over 15 feet fallen in January and another round of snow coming on Sat Nite/Sunday.

Lets see some pics/vids!!!

Kevin T
02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Have fun this weekend, guys! Unlucky me, I'm off Sunday morning to Hawaii for a week :(

KK,

Did you get a chance to try any of the Scott skis? I've heard nothing but rave reviews and compared to other brands, they're quite inexpensive.

Kaptain Karl
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
No. Only an odd trusted advisor has recommended Scott ... and he works for them(!). Nobody else I trust thinks they are the right direction for me....

P.S. I'll weep for your "suffering" in Hawaii....

- KK

sapient007
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
there should be a TW show us your snowsport gear photo thread

McLovin
02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Just got back from Keystone last night. Man, it was cold! High of 17 Tues & Wed with a wind chill of -8. I heard at one point it was -35 wind chill on the back of the mountain.

However, plenty of powder as well as groomed slopes. Much better than last year.

zapvor
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
no, but i think they are more park oriented. If you are looking for skis, just demo a few now. they are like tennis racquets in that you have to find what fits you. PA should of received a decent dump last night so you can get some good runs in if you drag yourself out to first chair

oh. see i odnt even know the difference. i think i do park only. whats the difference? is it the jumps and stuff? i am still very noob so not looking to demo yet,haha. what do you ski with? whats first chair?

Kaptain Karl
02-01-2008, 06:07 PM
there should be a TW show us your snowsport gear photo threadThe skiing counterpart to TW is Epic Ski. (http://forums.epicski.com) I recommend that forum for skiers and riders.

oh. see i odnt even know the difference. i think i do park only. whats the difference? is it the jumps and stuff? i am still very noob so not looking to demo yet,haha. what do you ski with? whats first chair?"First chair" is a reference to real "powder hounds" and their desire to be at the mountain so early they catch the first chair on the lift.

I'm going to Monarch tomorrow. They just got dumped on ... again. Wa-hoo!!!

- KK

zapvor
02-03-2008, 12:52 PM
T

"First chair" is a reference to real "powder hounds" and their desire to be at the mountain so early they catch the first chair on the lift.

I'm going to Monarch tomorrow. They just got dumped on ... again. Wa-hoo!!!

- KK

thanks for the reply KK. i dont think my friends are that hardcore. i am going with noobs...myself included.

jman
02-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I just recently got back from Niseko, Japan. Man, that is the best snow I've have ever boarded on! It's just powder! Japan and Japanese are AWESOME too!

GRANITECHIEF
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow, what a weekend.

1ft of new snow Sat morning, 2 ft Sunday morning.

Alpine Meadows was closed due to avalanche on the road. Two skires got lost out of bounds and they just found them today.

Upper Mtn closed at Squaw Valley. But lower mtn, including KT22, Red Dog, and Far East were open and EPIC!! KT 22 is the best lift anywhere. Pretty stormy too, but they kept the lower mtn open, which is the best part anyway. Got KT? Nope, only Squaw has KT. 2000 vert feet and usually only 1 groomed run. The rest, all off piste expert terrain, acres and acres of it.

I was gonna post some pics, but somehow they got erased off my camera, darn. I didn't really have much actual snowboarding footage, but did get some cool pics of my dog juming through the deep snow, snow on the car, snow fallin through the air etc.

I rode really hard, doing laps, bombing down the super soft cut powder like a madman outta heck. It was hero snow where you could just fully fly and do huge jumps. I must have done 4 15' plus cliff jumps yesterday and logged easily over 100' of freefall jumping vert over the two days. Man!! Whew!!! Pretty soar and tired.

We'll probably go again in 2 weeks, but i'd be very surprised if it was that good again.

zapvor
02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
damn dude. sounds outstandting granitechief. cant wait for this weekend.

Kaptain Karl
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
A Bad Day Skiing Is Still Better Than ....

I had a great time Saturday at Monarch. (This is a much too overused term, but this season really has been ... “epic”.) Pow was between boot-top and mid-thigh even on many of the front side runs. In the trees and on the backside it was from knee- to hip-deep.

And my skiing was the second-worst I can remember since 1973(!). Seriously, Patrol should have pulled my pass as a “mercy killing” just to get me off the mountain.

(Maybe they left me there because I made everyone else look so good by comparison?)

The irony is, I still had a blast! So ... if my second-worst day ever of proficiency can still produce a Cheshire Grin, what am I complaining about???

- KK

zapvor
02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
hey everybody

i know you guys dont really care, but i just got back from a weekend of skiing myself so i wanted to post on here.

was up at seven springs, PA in somerset county. first time. nice, big resort with lots of slopes and lifts

fyi-i am a noob skiier. so we went up 12 of us, of which 90% is first time. me and my friend ditch the noobs at their 90-minute lesson while we hop on the lift. first lift we go up i tell him 'yo let me warm up on a green ok?' so we get up the lift and he goes 'ok lets go down this one'. i peer over the edge and i am like 'dude thats super steep' he goes 'dude its not that bad you can do it. here you go first.'

not wanting to be a wimp, i take a dive down. background-i am very very good at taking it straight down the slope. because i dont know how to carve/cut/ STOP. so down the blue i go, and immediately i am passing everybody else carving. yea, within seconds i wipe out completely. both skis released. BAM. i am wincing inpain as my friend comes to a perfect stop beside me. so basically i ended up falling/ crashing/ wiping out 13 times total. 1 of them wasnt my fault though. a kid wiped out right in front of me and i couldnt dodge fast enough so i ran over his skis and wiped out as well.

point of story- cant wait to go again. although when i swing my right arm now it hurts. so my tennis is even worse now :(

jmsx521
02-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Am gonna hit them slopes with ma Sugga' Mamas!

http://i32.tinypic.com/nle9dw.jpg

ShooterMcMarco
02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
do it man, do it, lol

sapient007
02-17-2008, 07:47 AM
hey everybody

i know you guys dont really care, but i just got back from a weekend of skiing myself so i wanted to post on here.

was up at seven springs, PA in somerset county. first time. nice, big resort with lots of slopes and lifts

fyi-i am a noob skiier. so we went up 12 of us, of which 90% is first time. me and my friend ditch the noobs at their 90-minute lesson while we hop on the lift. first lift we go up i tell him 'yo let me warm up on a green ok?' so we get up the lift and he goes 'ok lets go down this one'. i peer over the edge and i am like 'dude thats super steep' he goes 'dude its not that bad you can do it. here you go first.'

not wanting to be a wimp, i take a dive down. background-i am very very good at taking it straight down the slope. because i dont know how to carve/cut/ STOP. so down the blue i go, and immediately i am passing everybody else carving. yea, within seconds i wipe out completely. both skis released. BAM. i am wincing inpain as my friend comes to a perfect stop beside me. so basically i ended up falling/ crashing/ wiping out 13 times total. 1 of them wasnt my fault though. a kid wiped out right in front of me and i couldnt dodge fast enough so i ran over his skis and wiped out as well.

point of story- cant wait to go again. although when i swing my right arm now it hurts. so my tennis is even worse now :(

what you want to do is keep your center of gravity over your bindings and lean your upper body downhill. The front of your skis is actually your control section so by standing tall and lean your body down hill, you actually force the skis to turn and thus speed check.

zapvor
02-17-2008, 09:30 AM
what you want to do is keep your center of gravity over your bindings and lean your upper body downhill. The front of your skis is actually your control section so by standing tall and lean your body down hill, you actually force the skis to turn and thus speed check.

oh....when i was leaning downhill it felt like i was going faster. the thing i cant do is turning. like i have to make really wide arcs....somehow i cant just like turn my skis sideways on the hill to stop:( like the other people can. by leaning forward you can make it turn? i was trying to use my toes/ankles.

sapient007
02-17-2008, 09:37 AM
oh....when i was leaning downhill it felt like i was going faster. the thing i cant do is turning. like i have to make really wide arcs....somehow i cant just like turn my skis sideways on the hill to stop:( like the other people can. by leaning forward you can make it turn? i was trying to use my toes/ankles.

if you are using the new parabolic skis, by leaning forward and towards the direction you want to turn, the skis should automatically carve/turn due to it's shape. you will need a bit of speed to achieve this. However if it's your first time, you should be still plowing thus not keeping all your edges parallel. it's just a matter of time before you get more confident and go from edge to edge to chain your turns together.

IMO it's a much easier sport vs tennis

zapvor
02-17-2008, 09:43 AM
if you are using the new parabolic skis, by leaning forward and towards the direction you want to turn, the skis should automatically carve/turn due to it's shape. you will need a bit of speed to achieve this. However if it's your first time, you should be still plowing thus not keeping all your edges parallel. it's just a matter of time before you get more confident and go from edge to edge to chain your turns together.

IMO it's a much easier sport vs tennis

ohhhh. i had on rossignol 140s. i always ski with my skis parallel haha. whats a parabolic ski? the tips of my skis were rounded not sharp. i dont think i have trouble achieving speed,haha. my problem is slowing down/ turning. it was my 3rd time, no real lessons lol. and whats plowing?

right now i suck at ski as much as tennis haha

Jonnyf
02-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Just back from Switzerland (Zermatt in particular) I have some pics, would anybody like to see any??

sapient007
02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
^^

these are the pics i've posted in another thread of this forum. they are both from alta, ut
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2092166&postcount=3991

zapvor: as for skis, they are almost all shaped skis now so if you rented them from a shop, i can almost guarantee they are parabolic in shape. shaped skis help you turn much better since you can toss much of the work on the skis themselves. Plowing is when you make the pizza slice shaped thingie with your skis to slowdown or turn.

zapvor
02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
^^

these are the pics i've posted in another thread of this forum. they are both from alta, ut
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2092166&postcount=3991

zapvor: as for skis, they are almost all shaped skis now so if you rented them from a shop, i can almost guarantee they are parabolic in shape. shaped skis help you turn much better since you can toss much of the work on the skis themselves. Plowing is when you make the pizza slice shaped thingie with your skis to slowdown or turn.

ohhh parabolic. of course. duh haha. yea i think mine was. it was a rental. i wanted a head ski because i hit with head prestige,hehe but i was anxious to get on the slopes and diidnt want to wait lol

oh i dont like doing the pizza thing. thats for noobs :D you are supposed to turn sideways anyways. thats how the pros do it.

GRANITECHIEF
02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Just back from Switzerland (Zermatt in particular) I have some pics, would anybody like to see any??

Oh yeah, bust em out!!

Jonnyf
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Matterhorn (Zap, yeah obviously we're all skiing down that:shock:)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5092/skiholiday2008053xl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5564/skiholiday2008087be3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7514/skiholiday2008086sq2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Just a few pics, I'll give more later

jmsx521
04-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I thought I was the only one left here without skiing this season. Denver and Salt Lake City had some late snow-storms however, so I made a last minute decision to go to Salt Lake City, since I had never been there. I did 3 days at Snowbird! On Wednesday there was fresh powder... like it is February! Did about 60-80 miles of skiing! Highly recommended for last chance skiing of the season. Alta will be open Saturday and Sunday, but Snowbird will stay open for a while.

spikyblackhair
04-18-2008, 10:56 PM
You all are pretty lucky... I had to get the last snowboarding of the season in about two months ago. The "snow" here is nothing like the stuff in the mountains... it gets packed down extremely quickly, is icy, and sometimes gravelly (especially the fake stuff). I've been skiing around Denver before, and there is absolutely no comparison between there and here (the *******).

Last time out on the slopes, there were big softball-sized chunks of ice lying around the slopes, probably there from the beginners taking spills and digging into the ground.

GRANITECHIEF
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Anybody else going over the Holidays?

I'm hitting North Tahoe, Squaw Valley. A few storms in the last 10 days and another couple lined up should make it pretty good.

Short snowboarding vid clip:
http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0929.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Duzza
12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm going to heat this summer (yes it's summer in Australia) up north to Queensland. Last year went to Japan though and usually Canada/France the times before.

basil J
12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I hit Cannon Mountain in NH today for my first day out. They received 28" on Sunday so the slopes were in great shape. Broke out my new Dynastar Legend 8000's and loved them. Great versatile 70/30 boards.

Philsthrills
12-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Tomorrow will be day 27 for me. So far I have been to Lake Placid, K-mart and Mt. Snow, but the majority of my time has been spent in PA. It's good to have winter back!

FloridaAG
12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
I leave for Park City in about 2 weeks - Due to connections etc., I usually end up at Deer Valley - They got a ton of snow yesterday so things are looking up.

edberg505
12-26-2008, 06:19 AM

I'm hitting North Tahoe, Squaw Valley. A few storms in the last 10 days and another couple lined up should make it pretty good.

http://s15.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/MVI_0929.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Oh dude, that's an awesome clip. I tried to get a vid of myself snowboarding but my buddy didn't have a good place shoot the video from and he was trying to shoot while riding down the mountain himself. It was ok but it was just too shakey. I'll try to take some more soon. I may try to have a go at Taos, since it's now opened to snowboarders.

tbini87
12-26-2008, 07:12 AM

i am hitting up the north shore. i have heard good things about squaw. i will probably be lucky enough to hit up Heavenly a few times this week. and there has been lots of snow so it will probably be... Heavenly!

FloridaAG
12-26-2008, 07:16 AM
They had an avalanche at Squaw - one skier died.