PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 200GMW is anyone still using these?

basil J
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I have the opportunitty to get a pair of these frames in like new condition, and I was wondering if anyone is still using these and if they are, what string set ups and tensions are they using. I used this frame for years until my bag got ripped off and have never been able to replace them until now( 2 years later). I am hoping the love is still there.

Automatix
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm currently playing with a brand new Muscle Weave 200G but the 90 sq. inch version and all I can say it's a sweeeeeeet racquet, demanding but sweet... today was my first time with this stick so it still has the factory string (Dunlop Gutech Plus), don't now the tension or diameter though...

gmgpistons
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I've been using this frame for the past 6 or 7 years. Very low power, great control and feel. I've been experimenting with different strings lately, but have been consistently stringing at the lower end of the recommended range for this frame. What I've found with this frame is that you have to have good technique and really use your legs to get any kind of depth. Great for volleys.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a similar racket as far as specs, but with a little added power and forgiveness?

basil J
09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Try the redondo mp. closest frame I have found to the 200gMW. I used to use 17'klip excellerator at 62# on my old 200g's and it was pretty good set up.

vkartikv
09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I put PSGD 17/pacific poly force 18 on my MW 200G 95. 57 lbs on the mains and 55 on the crosses. I tried 60 lbs with vs gut 17 but it was too stiff for my liking. I have given up the MW altogether not being able to find the version I like and having (previously) sold the ones I liked.

mltaylor
09-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I too use the MW 200g 90. Used it Sun. night for doubles play. Outstanding! Sweetest racquet there is IMO. I'd been using the Prince Graphite II MP & the Redondo MP until then. I can't believe I forgot how great the MW feels. Just added a little weight in the handle to give it a little heft but still keeping it HL. Pinpooint serving and volleying along with adequate power and superb control. Best part is it's very easy on my elbow and shoulder.

I have one MW 95 as well. Used it 2 years ago. Great stick! Did everything well. I just couldn't volley with it. The quick exchanges at net were crushing me. But it was probably due to my set-up for the racquet and my ability back then. I just used a soft syn. gut strung at 65lbs. in my MW 95. It's all about the feel with these racquets. But I just love how the 90 is so easy to swing. :D

Automatix
09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
But I just love how the 90 is so easy to swing. :D

Agreed! I've played with M-Fil 200s and when I switched to the MW 200G 90 I was stunned by the extreme head speed I could whip up...

badmice2
09-25-2007, 09:23 AM
yeah...MFil's crap...

pending on what you're looking for with your string jobs, i'm currently testing out Kirshbaum ProLine II / X1 Biphase setup (60/63); pretty good so far - great bang from the baseline, enough touch at the net. I've tested a lot of other strings as well - full X1, Klip Excellerator, BB Rough / X1, NRG, Babolat Premium Xcel, Klip Legend / PSGD. All strung around 60-64 range.

Automatix
09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't say M-Fils crap because you have to be aware that no new Dunlop line of racquets (Hot Melt, M-Fil, Aerogel) is as great as the Muscle Weave... just because somethings different doesn't mean it's bad it's just a matter of preference... ;)

basil J
09-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I actually thought that the mfil with a little lead at 3:00 & 9:00 was a nice frame. Strings are crucial to the performance of any 18 x 20 frame, and the 200 series is no different.

Bent
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
I just got back to MW95 fram POG mid.

The MW is a very flexible frame. I just needed a little adaption and this makes the feel less solid.

But it serves great and is overall a very nice racket.

I would like to try the 90 head..

Kirko
09-25-2007, 11:27 AM
I have the opportunitty to get a pair of these frames in like new condition, and I was wondering if anyone is still using these and if they are, what string set ups and tensions are they using. I used this frame for years until my bag got ripped off and have never been able to replace them until now( 2 years later). I am hoping the love is still there.

guy I hit with still uses the old MW has only one left with the plastic on the handle. I've tried it and its very very nice.

basil J
09-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Well I got two of them yesterday. In brand new shape with 2 sets of extra grommetts. I was very excited to go out and hit with these frames. I hit for an hour, played two sets and then hit serves for about 20 minutes.
I have not used these in over 2 years. It was my only frame for almost 4 years straight before my bag got ripped off from a club. I played my best ball with the 200GMW so I was curious how they were going to feel after such a long time away from them. I have been using a Redondo MP for about a year and a half, like them, but still miss the feel that the MW had.
Here are my intial impressions.:
Groundstrokes: ahh, the smooth feel came rushing back almost immediately.I had no problem getting spin on the ball, but I did have an issue finding depth. The 200GMW does not forgive poor footwork or late preperation, so it took me about 1/2 hour to get grooved back to groundies.
I immediately became aware of the fact that I had to really had to focus on every shot, or I ended up hitting a lot of short balls. Also realized that being wristy or using a windshield wiper type of finish was not the way to hit, but rather go through the ball out towards the target. When I hit clean, I produced a heavy stroke. Years back my 1HBH was easily my best shot with this frame, today, my worst. I just could not find my range. It got better as the session went on, so I think I need time to readjust.
Volleys: Again use your feet to get into position and punch it, otherwise, they fell short. Great frame for droppers , good control..
Serves: Great for flat serves. I served with less heat than my redondo or say a wilson 6.1, but again a heavy ball that I moved around the box easily. Surprisingly, my kick serve was pretty good. Consistancy was an issue, but not something I will not worry about. When I hit a good serve, it was good.
Returns:I always loved returning with this frame. The BH slice is unequalled. It stays low and you can really drive it. if you have time, you can really take a good cut at the ball and it still stays in.
I have no idea how old the strings are, so I ordered a couple of sets of Klip detonater in a 17 gauge. I also added 3" of lead tape at 10:00 & 2:00 to try to enlarge the tiny sweetspot and get some more heat out of my serves.
I don't know if this frame would be popular if it came out today. It is low powered and demanding. It makes you focus on fundamentals and punishes laziness. Maybe that's why I played better with this frame than any other. I could not be lazy, and my foot work was certainly better back in 2000 -2004 than today. I am curious to see if I can handle using it over the next few months. I will say one thing, it is extremely comfortable and even after more than 2 hours of hitting and serving, I had no soreness or fatigue in my shoulder or elbow at all.

VS_Power
09-28-2007, 10:22 PM
this racket is legendary. they dont make rackets like these anymore. it is the server of bombs. the bringer of destruction. the highest of high. you do not @#$% with this racket because it will @#$% with you and show you how to play some REAL tennis. i hope you put on a diaper before you start hitting with it. good luck and may the force be with you

basil J
09-29-2007, 04:39 AM
I don't think I 'll need a diaper, but thanks for the kind words of encouragement????

Keifers
09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
this racket is legendary. they dont make rackets like these anymore. it is the server of bombs. the bringer of destruction. the highest of high. you do not @#$% with this racket because it will @#$% with you and show you how to play some REAL tennis. i hope you put on a diaper before you start hitting with it. good luck and may the force be with you

I don't think I 'll need a diaper, but thanks for the kind words of encouragement????
ROTFLMAO!!!

Thanks for a good laugh on a beautiful saturday morning. :D

vkartikv
09-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Basil, how do you go from a redondo/MW 200G to a stiff wilson? Or does your signature need to be updated? I gave up my ps 85 last year and have never picked up a wilson (or anything stiff for that matter) since then!

VS_Power
09-29-2007, 11:54 AM
btw if you want to excel with this racket you will have to consistently hit it in the sweetspot (which btw is tiny) because off shots are incredibly weak and mushy. i had a lot of trouble with that when i used this racket for 4 years(?). the sweetspot though feels as good as a sweetspot will ever feel. if you have more game than me though you will love this racket

Automatix
09-29-2007, 11:59 AM
I found that when you hit the sweetspot the ball is just wicked... if it was a backhand slice it will stay so loooow (especially on clay) that you can go to the net and the point is yours... however if you lack consistency this racquet will become your opponents best friend :D

basil J
09-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I loved the ncode6.1 18 x 20 but it did a number on my shoulder. I wanted to see if the k6.1 16 x 18 would play softer, and it does, but it still is 12.7 oz strung and the control is not close IMO to the 18 x 20.

jeffreyfranz
09-29-2007, 05:50 PM
May I have them? :smile:

vkartikv
09-29-2007, 06:41 PM
I loved the ncode6.1 18 x 20 but it did a number on my shoulder. I wanted to see if the k6.1 16 x 18 would play softer, and it does, but it still is 12.7 oz strung and the control is not close IMO to the 18 x 20.

From your posts over the last year or so it is quite evident that you too are a fan of the 18x20 pattern frames. Why not stick with the redondos for while? I don't know what exactly you are looking for from your frame but I am quite positive you wouldn't compromise comfort and feel... I have found that the wilsons have been lacking precisely these two aspects ever since they started the whole nano-technology infused racquets..

basil J
09-29-2007, 07:06 PM
I still have a couple of Redondo Mp's but the 200GMW, well that was one of a kind. It's the racquet I learned to play with. Now that I have 2 , like new ones, I want to see how it fares against the Redondo MP, which I like very much. I have been using the PK since last july and it's a great stick. The 200GMW has always held the bar for all other racquets to meet for me, so it's kind of like being reunited with an old flame. I am going to play test them over the next few weeks for sure.

vkartikv
09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I still have a couple of Redondo Mp's but the 200GMW, well that was one of a kind. It's the racquet I learned to play with. Now that I have 2 , like new ones, I want to see how it fares against the Redondo MP, which I like very much. I have been using the PK since last july and it's a great stick. The 200GMW has always held the bar for all other racquets to meet for me, so it's kind of like being reunited with an old flame. I am going to play test them over the next few weeks for sure.

I always thought the PS 85 was the standard for comparing all racquets with - until I tried the MW 200G. It is the Marilyn Monroe of frames (and you must be Joe DeMaggio :))

basil J
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Well I have had 4 sessions with my new 200GMW and each session is much better than the last. Today I did a series of groundstroke, volley and service drills. I added 3" of lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00 on one frame and left the other stock.
The groundstroke drill consisted of the bounce- hit drill and we added that we had to hit heavy topspin on our first 3 shots, and then flatten out our fourth. We had some 20 shot rallies and the Dunlop was comfortable and accurate against a heavy hitter using an ncode 6.1. My 1HBH was back with authority today and that good old feeling was back in full swing.
Next we did volley drills. One man at the baseline ripping any shot he wanted, the volleyer had to return the volley deep back to the baseliner. Again, the dunlop was excellent, but I had to really punch the volleys to get them deep.
Next we took turns serving. Each of us served 5 flat, 5 slice and 5 kickers to each other on each side. Returners went down the line on inside serves, cross court on out side serves. The Dunlop can deliver a nasty drive slice return that really allowed me to chip & charge at will. returning in general was very offensive.
M serving was accurate but unless I hit flat down the "T", the pace was less than my Redondo or Wilson, but none the less, still effective.
The difference between the weighted and unweighted frames was very noticeable. With the weighted frame I delivered a few more errors, but a much heavier ball. The stock frame gave me a bit more access to spin, but a lighter less offensive ball. I also served bigger with the weighted frame and I went from defense to offense much more effectively with the weighted frame. Even though it is not much weight, it was noticeable. I can't wait for my poly hybrid strings to get here so I can string the 2 frames set up equally and really gauge the definitive differences.. we were out ther for 2 hours today, sweating up a storm. No pain, soreness or fatigue what soever.
I could kill the guy who stole may bag a few years back. These are certainly one of if not the best frames I have ever had the privelage to use... In the 5 years that I used them before they were taken form me, I never was even interested in demoing another racquet. I'll report later this week when I get them restrung.

basil J
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
These sticks rock. Put in the Klip detonator at 59#/57#. I probably could have gone tighter, but with a 17 gauge, I was getting plenty of spin to keep the ball in play. Just a heavy, heavy ball that really breaks down opponents in long rallies. The variety of topspin and slice is unsurpassed by any other frame I have ever used. The nice thing about this frame vs the redondo is that the redondo has awesome control, but when you get an opening for a big put away, there isn't any extra power available that let's me blast the ball. Last night I was getting into med. paced rallies and then just letting go some big blasts down the line or crosscourt that caught my opponent by surpise. Serves were dependable with good pace. I return much more aggressively because the control is so great. These frames rock. I just enjoy using this racquet more than any other I have tried ( except the ncode 6.1 18 x 20, but that killed my shoulder). I am going to string my other frame with Klip scorcher and see which set up is better. I think a softer string may be better in the long run than a poly hybrid, even though the KBOOM is pretty soft.

anirut
10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Basil, nice review.

I think a lot of players who uses the Dunlop and the Redondo have one thing in common: we like flexible, 18x20 frames.

Why not you start a "Flexible (<=62), 18x20 Club"? You do the start up and many more will storm in to join. This won't be confined to any one brand or model or head size. I think we'll have a lot of idea exchanges

The problem is how do we define "flexible"? Would 62 still be considered flexible? Or should it be lower than that?

jayserinos99
10-04-2007, 06:51 PM
^ i'm all for it. if we're talking about current frames however, isn't 60 (unstrung) the lowest stiffness nowadays?

anirut
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
^ i'm all for it. if we're talking about current frames however, isn't 60 (unstrung) the lowest stiffness nowadays?

The Donnay Pro 1 Intl is 58, Redondo's 56 ...

I think we can keep 62 as the max to still be considered flexible. Or 61?

And for the 18x20, how about just 18 mains and just let whatever the crosses be. OK, then we can have a "<=62F, 18M Club" ... HAHA ...

If we really want a big member population, then just start a "Flexible Racket Club" for rackets in any string pattern, head size, but just make it <=62.

jayserinos99
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
The Donnay Pro 1 Intl is 58, Redondo's 56 ...

I think we can keep 62 as the max to still be considered flexible. Or 61?

And for the 18x20, how about just 18 mains and just let whatever the crosses be. OK, then we can have a "<=62F, 18M Club" ... HAHA ...

If we really want a big member population, then just start a "Flexible Racket Club" for rackets in any string pattern, head size, but just make it <=62.

Yeah anirut, TW specs are strung, so the Pro 1 should be around 60 unstrung no? Anyway, back to the point, I'm all for a flexible racquet club but I'd like to seperate it to be 18 mains and 16 mains and whatever crosses and headsize. It'd be a little easier to keep track of the Prestiges/200Gs versus the Pro 1s.

Brian Purdie
10-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I used the MW200 for a long time alongside the PS85. Great "companion racket" in my opinion. Say you're not having a great month with the 85, or not generating enough power, take out the MW200 and continue playing without much room for adjustment in your game.

anirut
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
OK, Jay, you go ahead. "<=62 Flex, 18M Club".

I'm already busy with the Redondo Thread.

vkartikv
10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Great idea for a club. If we do an age survey on that club we'll all be over 25...

vkartikv
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
One big difference b/w the redondo (MP) and MW 200G: Depth of shots at the net. The ball seems to pop up from the redondo while volleys are more controlled with the MW. I think it all has to do with where exactly the flex is maximum. Also, you may not think that a difference of 10 points in swingweight would make a big difference but the MW is so much easier to move around. All this said, I think the redondo helps setup the volley better thanks to better pop on serves but the MW helps put the volley away in a much better fashion. It's like having Marilyn Monroe for foreplay and Diane Lane for you know what...I wish I could combine the two :p

basil J
10-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Nice analogies! I actually think because the Redondo is more HL than the MW that the redondo is a little better at the net than the 200GMW. I can get more variety of serve with the redondo, better pace with the 200G.
I can get more spin on my groundstrokes from the Redondo, but I can hit a much bigger ball with the 200GMw. I think, depending on the day, court surface and opponent, the 2 frames compliment each other perfectly regarding racquet selection for any particular situation.They are both staying in my bag!!!!

bertrevert
10-05-2007, 05:48 AM
With the 17 gauge in the MW you should get more bite and spin, but might lose a little bit of bang. The thinner gauge just doesn't deliver that same boom does it?

Think that you are using a bit of old tech really on your competion - singles or doubles?

This is one big blitzer on serves for sure. Just a panther tank. You don't really need the lead perhaps at 3 and 9 for stability on an already stable racq. Did you try the lead at 12 oclock? Could give you some more spin and help w/ serving...

This frame pre-dates the ratcheting of stiffness in frames, and as such works on some different design principles... it's just a productive bringing together of elements perhaps dropped afterwards (for some reason).

Played any three setters with it?

Automatix
10-05-2007, 06:47 AM
I've strung my MW 200G 90 with 1,33mm TF X-tra Dynamic Biphase at 26/25kg can't wait to try it out... sadly it's raining today and it's supposed to rain and rain and rain...

basil J
10-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I have played some 2-3 setters so far without issue. When I used the frame years ago I played it in stock form. I like a racquet around 12.5 oz. My frames weigh in at 12.2oz stock. I find the lead tape just adds a tad of firmness to the hoop that I find comfortable. I am hesitant about putting tape at 12:00, because I like a HL frame, and my 200GMW's are only 5pts. HL to begin with. I don't want to get into trying to add weight in the handle.
I used to think that the 17 gauge was the only way to go with this frame, but right now I have head rip control 16' on one frame and klip detonater 17' in the other and surprisingly felt that the 16' had a firmer feel to the string bed, without any noticeable loss of spin. Power level was higher with the Klip, only because I think the klip was fresh and the head strings are fairly old.
As far as old technology goes, I don't think that the 200GMW lacks anything that the aerogel or mfil's have as far as power or spin. I can wail the ball with the 200GMW, and it's the only frame that I have ever used that I feel that I can go all out offensively with my return of serves with out the fear of over hitting. I beat a guy last night 6-2, 6-2, that I lost to last month 6-2, 6-0 using my kfactor 6.1 and the big difference he said after the match was that I was really attacking both of his serves all night, and really mixing up pace and spin much more than any other time we have ever played. He said that the heavy ball I was hittting all night really wore him down and he didn't have much of an answer.
That works for me! Old technology- new technology? I think the 200GMW is GOOD technology!

Automatix
10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think that the 200GMW lacks anything that the aerogel or mfil's have...

Are you kiding man?! The MW is far superior to the M-Fils and AGs!

Sadly they don't make racquets like they've used to...

basil J
10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I meant lacks anything as fas as technologies. I agree, the 200GMW is superior to any 200G released since..

basil J
10-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Well I played for an a hour with some 17 gauge klip scorcher @62# and it is perhaps the worst string I have ever used..The ball was flying off the string bed with little weight or spin. When I really came under it, I got some heavy topspin but no depth. I was fighting the racquet on everyshot just to kee the ball in play. On top of that, it felt like that racquet was strung with really thin wire. I have never had a bad string from KLIP so I was quite surprised. Maybe at 70# in a 16 gauge, it may play better, but the set up I had today was god awful!

basil J
10-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I picked up another frame this week so I am good to go for a while. I have 2 strung up with 16 gauge vs gut, one at 64# & one @ 65# and I have one strung with Klip synthetic gut at 63#. No lead tape on any of them. All three play great. I have played about 6 hours of practice and scrimmage with no real matches yet. I hit with a pro yesterday and we worked on getting some better height, depth and topspin off of my forehand wing. It's easy to leave a short ball with this frame, and it tempts me to go for winners at the wrong times sometimes. yet, The more I play with this racquet, the more I am shocked that Dunlop discontinued it. You get out exactly what you put in. You can hit flat, spin, slice and eveyrthing in between. It's up to the user. My pro teaches with a prestige MP and he took a few hits and called it an old school classic. He loved it. VS gut seems to be a good string for this frame, but next time I will probably string at 66#, just to reel in a little of the pop that comes with using a good gut. My serves get better everytime out, and when you line up the ball well, this frame delivers some great heat, on serves and groundies. Comfort is unmatched, except for the redondo. I am glad I took the chance on an older frame.

bertrevert
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Whoa it sounds like you've got the groove and 16 gut sounds great. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say you get out what you put in. I found if I was anything less than "on" then I'd pay for my lapses. But aren't you playing a no-win game?

There's no way to replace these when they wear out...

basil J
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
The three I have are in very good to good shape so I hope they last for a while. I play 3-4 times per week, so If I rotate my frames consistantly, I think I will get some decent life out of them.

bertrevert
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I have no idea why they discontinued it when they'd obviously cornered the market niche on a great frame. I guess there's argument to be had backwards and forwards on whether the 200 series has been updated in line with what they started (and with the antecedants to the MW200g as well) or whether they've just plain lost it along the way. I believe they didn't bottle the magic with the Hotmelt version.

basil J
10-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Hot melt had a much more of a " modern feel", stiffer, a little more pop, but it lacked in ball feel and I found that I can generate spin much easier with the MW version for some odd reason. maybe more flex with the MW?

Speedygonzalez
11-02-2007, 02:49 AM
and i haven't detected the greatness of it yet....... I played for two hours with it and found it hard to hit consistent good groundies. Normally i use the Head iprestige mp or PT 280 and don't have any problems handling these. But this is racquet is of another league. It came with a very thick multifilament string, 1.5 mm. Just restrung it with a thinner, hopefully it helps a bit!

Ross K
11-02-2007, 01:45 PM
and i haven't detected the greatness of it yet....... I played for two hours with it and found it hard to hit consistent good groundies. Normally i use the Head iprestige mp or PT 280 and don't have any problems handling these. But this is racquet is of another league. It came with a very thick multifilament string, 1.5 mm. Just restrung it with a thinner, hopefully it helps a bit!

As I've also only just got 200GMW very recently, plus also as an enthusiast of the older Heads who has just got hold of a Pro Tour, I found your comments v/interesting.

Regarding the 200GMW, my own impressions were all around extremely favourable (btw, I found it excellent on groundies.) That said though, as a 2nd generation Rad Tour Twin Tube user, I certainly missed the granite stabillity and that supreme feel (not, of course, that the MW has an unstable, poor feel at all - far from it - it's just different... unique...) It's like the MW feels very dynamic and compact to me, where as the Twin Tube is more of a... (lemme see)... a mighty sword... (Oh dear!... lol!)... that has been oiled in lush butter!!!... (OMG!!!)... Er... on a less er poetic note, I feel the potential with the MW to improve my game is possibly greater than the Rad (ie, one is a bit more all court as opposed to baseline orientated... and that's the direction I need to be going.)

Now then. What I'd really really appreciate is to hear a bit of detailed info on how the Pro Tour compares to the 200GMW in your view. (Mine will be in transit for a while.)

Cheers,

Ross

BTW... and i haven't detected the greatness of it yet....... I love this understated line here!

Speedygonzalez
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Ross K;1850990]
Now then. What I'd really really appreciate is to hear a bit of detailed info on how the Pro Tour compares to the 200GMW in your view. (Mine will be in transit for a while.)

Hey Ross!

Nice to hear from you again, I love to read your comments!
I am not sure whether i can give a reliable comparison between the PT 280 and the 200GMW since I got these only recently and only hit twice with both... But these are my first impressions:

Firstly, the PT 280 is easier to swing. I dont know the specs but the PT 280 is definitely more headlight. I guess it is comparable to the iprestige mp which is 6 pts headlight. Although the difference is not large, it is surely noticable.

Secondly, the PT 280 has a much larger sweetspot and off center hits still have some power. This is a big difference. In my case, off center shots often end up too short giving my opponent the opportunity to bash the ball away.

Another aspect is flexibility, the 200G is more flexible, this is especially noticable with mishits. It also sends more vibrations to the arm with mishits.

Furthermore, the feel of the rackets is very different. I agree, the 200GMW has a nice feel, but in my opinion not as great the PT 280. I really enjoyed the feel of the 200GMW with touch shots or when hitting very hard and flat (assuming that i managed to hit the sweetspot) while the PT 280 felt great with any shot. I must say that this is really a personal issue, I just prefer the feel of the PT which I don't know how to describe. Probably some will disagree.

Finally, the PT has more spin/slice potential. Especially with slice it seems that the ball stays longer on the racquet...

Well, this looks like a very biased review....(Will this be considered as blasphemy?) So far, the MW200G has not captured my heart...yet. But who knows. I strung it with a thinner multi and it already played much better. May be I am not good enough to play with such a demanding stick. But i will keep trying from time to time!

I hope this was helpful. BTW, I will get a Twin Tube Radical Tour mp next week. Found one for 15 euro! Not sure which edition. It is grey/white/yellow. I guess it is from 1997.

vkartikv
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Basil, have you tried the pacific classic gut or BDE 16 perf? Those were the best naturals I've tried.

Ross K
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
speedygonzales,

Appreciate the post very much. Just the sort of thing I'm looking for (even if we have somewhat differing views on the MW.) Thanks speedy...

I will get a Twin Tube Radical Tour mp next week. Found one for 15 euro! Not sure which edition. It is grey/white/yellow. I guess it is from 1997

Hey!... Again, I'd be v/interested and curious to hear how you get on with this one. FYI, it sounds like it's the 2nd generation model (nineteen ninety-eight) which (in case you don't know), many Radical fans consider to be the best version, a construction of some genius, an absolutely amazing rod, and a 'Head legend' without a shadow of a doubt. I actually have this one in XL... Oh and BTW, I personally soooo like the cosmetics on this frame... it's a real stunner!

Speedygonzalez
11-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Hey Ross,

Will let you know. It's this one:

http://www.tennis******.com/Rad97.jpg

According to Tennis******.com it is the 1997 version. Well, I guess I cannot go wrong for 15 bucks!

basil J
11-03-2007, 05:27 AM
I get VS gut at a pretty good deal so I only use that or Klip legend when it comes to gut strings. I have tried pacific, BDE and Titan gut and they all play well but are unremarkable. VS and Legend hold tension great and last for a long time on an 18 x 20 string bed, so when I go with gut, that's what I use.
Now that I have been using the 200GMW for about a month, I think that going forward, I will use gut in the mains and a good multi or synthetic in the crosses, to tame down the power a bit and ease off on the old wallet! The more I use this frame, the better I like it. I can see how someone who has never used it in the past may find it a bit demanding. I like it more each time I use it, especially on my 1Hbackhand and forehand volleys. I've been to the net more in the last month than I was all year.