PDA

View Full Version : Anybody experience TW mis-stringing your racquet(tension)?

MetsJetsRebels
09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I got my Microgel Radical Pro on friday, everything looked and seemed good, but I am starting to think that they strung my racquet at a much higher tension than I told them to. I put 57 lbs tension(the recommended median), it feels like 62. I let my coach and a few people on my team check it out too, and they feel its at least 60, probably 62. Has anyone experienced TW stringing their racquet at the wrong tension?

BOZO
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
just last week, I ordered POG mid with 55/53 but it came with 60 .... well maybe my gage was bad, Gamma tension tester.

snoopy
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
57 lbs on one machine is not the same as 57 on another.

If you want consistency stick to one stringer who uses the same machine.

samster
09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
In my experience, TW's string jobs tend to be on the higher (tension) side of things. May be that's why my HM 200g's played the way they did (ie. not favorably). I string my rackets usually on the lower side of the recommended tension.

samster
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder if there is stringer to stringer variability (within TW)?

snoopy
09-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't know much about stringing, but I'll suggest another possible explanation.

I think TW sold all of their Prince Neos machines and I'm pretty sure they now use electronic stringers that have a constant pull. Frames strung on machines with this feature feel tighter for a given tension b/c the string is constantly being stretched. So if you're not used to having you're frames strung on constant pull stringers than there's you're answer.

snoopy
09-25-2007, 07:44 AM
So much for the above theory:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1773625&posted=1#post1773625

TW still uses Neos machines. But do they have a constant pull? I don't know. Call them up or ask the experts in the string machine section.

gjoc
09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
So much for the above theory:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1773625&posted=1#post1773625

TW still uses Neos machines. But do they have a constant pull? I don't know. Call them up or ask the experts in the string machine section.

What you said, though, re lockout vs. constant-pull, is right on the money.

The Neos is a lockout machine.

My personal experience w/TW racquets has been that they’re in the middle--they’re looser than ones done locally by competent stringers on constant-pull machines, but tighter than ones done locally by possibly less-than-competent stringers on lockout machines, which I attribute to TW stringers using lockout machines, but being competent and following best practices for stringing.

mclee025
09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Stringing is more of an art than a precise science. Tension is going to vary between the stringing machines, the person stringing, stringing techniques, the type of string, etc. So if you ask one stringer to string a racquet at 57 pounds and then take a similar racquet to another stringer across town and ask them to string it at 57 pounds, the tensions are more than likely to vary. It's not that one is right and one is wrong, it's just that they are going to be naturally different because you're changing a lot of variables. Expecting them to be the same is not a realistic expectation.

However, if you like a particular string job, the stringer that did it, if he's good and has consistent technique, should be able to reproduce those results fairly closely. By the same token, the stringer should be able to string the next job looser or tighter relative to that last job to suit your needs.

gjoc
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Stringing is more of an art than a precise science. Tension is going to vary between the stringing machines, the person stringing, stringing techniques, the type of string, etc. So if you ask one stringer to string a racquet at 57 pounds and then take a similar racquet to another stringer across town and ask them to string it at 57 pounds, the tensions are more than likely to vary. It's not that one is right and one is wrong, it's just that they are going to be naturally different because you're changing a lot of variables. Expecting them to be the same is not a realistic expectation.

However, if you like a particular string job, the stringer that did it, if he's good and has consistent technique, should be able to reproduce those results fairly closely. By the same token, the stringer should be able to string the next job looser or tighter relative to that last job to suit your needs.

All true, but if another stringer, using the same machine, only pulls tension on every other string, for example, because they think that’s okay to do, it’s a pretty safe bet that that racquet’s going to come out looser, lol!

saram
09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I got my Microgel Radical Pro on friday, everything looked and seemed good, but I am starting to think that they strung my racquet at a much higher tension than I told them to. I put 57 lbs tension(the recommended median), it feels like 62. I let my coach and a few people on my team check it out too, and they feel its at least 60, probably 62. Has anyone experienced TW stringing their racquet at the wrong tension?

The only time I have had TW string sticks for me was a few years ago when I was in a crunch for time with replacement sticks. They nailed 62 at 62. I would assume though, that there are stringers doing 'double pulls' and such from time to time and that not all machines within any stringing source containing more than four or five machines have them calibrated along with one another on a daily basis.

Stringing your own sticks is the only way to insure a consistent tension throughout time.

snoflewis
09-25-2007, 07:04 PM
the only issue i had w/ TW's stringing is that they make the crosses dip down constnatly...i've sent them an email about two of my rackets dipping down..adn the next two rackets i ordered had the same thing....given that the complaint might not have gone around...but no biggie...

jeffreyfranz
09-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Only once: they strung my Pro Tour 280 WAY high. This is a very flexy stick, and even after break-in it played like a baseball bat--a concrete one. I think they are usually good.

TennisFrkJC92
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
they string it to the right tension in my experience in the beginning but the strings get loose really quickly. Do they have a frickin mauchine do it or wat?