PDA

View Full Version : What Does "hollow" Mean????

GAAN.
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey.... I'm thinking of buying a LM Prestige MP (one of the possibilities), and I was just reading old LM Prestige MP threads and I did notice that most people said that it feels "hollow".... what does it mean??? Appreciate your comments...:)

P.S: Can't demo it...:sad:

Thanks...

pow
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't know about the Prestige you speak of but when I say it feels hollow, the racquet rings when I hit it and sounds and feels as if it's empty inside. Some racquets feel more filled and solid. Hard to explain almost.

Deuce
09-24-2007, 10:59 PM
In a nutshell, 'hollow' means that it was made in the past 10 years.

'Hollow' has been the norm for a while now.

Bent
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Hollow means Bablelot ;-)

Duzza
09-25-2007, 05:34 AM
Hollow means Yonex! I smashed two of them to pieces today and they are completely hollow inside.

jorel
09-25-2007, 07:18 AM
i compare it to the feel of hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat vs a wooden one

jorel
09-25-2007, 07:21 AM
or better yet.... get a racquet off of the Bosworth section and compare it to a racquet that is made today

or for a more direct comparison.

try getting your hands on a old pro staff midsize 6.0 (st vincent or chicago) and compare it to a recent China production model. hollow vs solid

hjminard
09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
To me it means dead and lifeless ... no pop ... no plow-through. For example, I recently demo-ed the Boris Becker 11 Light. Light racquets, in my experience, don't necessarily equate to lifeless racquets. There's a balance between everything: materials, construction, weight, balance, flexibility.

I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, but something about the BB11 Light just feels hollow ... and lifeless. Like Deuce said, all modern racquets are basically hollow in construction, but some feel that way much more than others.

bluetrain4
09-25-2007, 08:04 AM
"Hollow" is a feeling and a sensation. It does not simply refer to actual hollowness of the frame, because every nearly every frame is hollow in the sense that it is not solid throughout. Cut away a section of even the heaviest, solid-feeling frame and you'll find that it is not completely filled in. It is, to varying degrees, hollow.

Yet, some frames feel as if there are completely solid in that they don't make tinny or other noises, they feel dense, they are stable, and their structural integrity isn't questioned. They don't feel cheap, like a fancy paint job over poor materials and shoddy construction.

A "hollow" feeling racquet will be the opposite, again to varying degrees. Sometimes a reference to "hollow" is a reference to the opposite of what I described in the preceding paragraph. They feel cheap, make tinny or pinging sounds, don't feel stable. In other instances, "hollow" refers simply to a sensation that doesn't necessarily affect playability (i.e., the frame still plays fine), but may distract from the enjoyment of the frame due to a lack of that familiar "thwock" or any number of sensations one gets from a tennis racquet.

superstition
09-25-2007, 08:08 AM
try getting your hands on a old pro staff midsize 6.0 (st vincent or chicago) and compare it to a recent China production model. hollow vs solid
Exactly.

10 characters.

grass_hopper
09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Hollow means Bablelot ;-)

exactly so, I had APDC and opened the butt cap, pouring water through and it comes off at string holes. Wilson is foam filled, try the trap door on wilson K90 butt cap and you will see the foam in handle. the HOLLOW racquets are like flute causing major elbow problems. the shock of hitting ball goes right to your hand like a aluminum bat.

dman72
09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I really get this feeling from the Head LM radical oversize...it has a tinny, hollow feel to it.

I actually stuffed some styrofoam peanuts up inside my m-fill 400, and it did cut down on vibrations somewhat...ghetto n-foam!!

nickb
09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
All the babolats feel very hollow to me

Pro_Tour_630
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
To me it means dead and lifeless ... no pop ... no plow-through. For example, I recently demo-ed the Boris Becker 11 Light. Light racquets, in my experience, don't necessarily equate to lifeless racquets. There's a balance between everything: materials, construction, weight, balance, flexibility.

I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, but something about the BB11 Light just feels hollow ... and lifeless.

Blasphemy!!!! Quick, get out the noose. Oh wait! that person is not here anymore. Something is missing from this thread.......... It feels Hollow :-)

hjminard
09-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Blasphemy!!!! Quick, get out the noose. Oh wait! that person is not here anymore. Something is missing from this thread.......... It feels Hollow :-)

Maybe that's what the BB-11L is missing ... mojo. ;)

MichaelChang
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Does adding lead tape kind of solve this "hollowness" problem, may not be all but at least to some degree?

ffrpg
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Does adding lead tape kind of solve this "hollowness" problem, may not be all but at least to some degree?

It helps a little by giving it more "plow" but you can still feel the hollowness.