PDA

View Full Version : question about racquet....need advice

eman70
09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
played back in college about 20 years ago.....juniors etc....the works...

last racquet played back then was the wilson ultra fpk.....

my game was heavy topspin from the baseline.....semi-western forehand....two handed backhand....mostly topspin although I can hit my two handed backhand pretty flat when I want to and I also hit a decent one handed slice....

I'm short 5 9" so I never had a big serve although back in the day I was over 100 and had a nice slice 1st serve, and a good kick serve for a second serve and could place the ball well.......

Near the end of my junior/college career, I developed a decent net game and became more of an all court player (to shorten points) although at my heart, I'm a baseline player with a nice return of serve and passing shots/lobs etc....

I can put balls away when I want to.

Now after a 20 year break, I really don't want to get too competitive, just want to play for exercise, and I really just enjoy hitting....

I'd love to find some more ultra FPK 95's but I can't find any anywhere, and I've only got one left which isn't in the best shape......

I'll need to switch racquets.....I want something that is more of a players racquet........and I'm thinking about...

wilson k factor 95..... or
aero pro drive cortex.....

People are always amazed with the topspin that I get but to be honest, I'd love even more....I take a big cut at the ball and hit just about everything with some kind of spin.....

I'm looking forward to trying the luxilon strings as I've never hit with a poly string....mostly syn gut and occasionally gut (too expensive with the amount of strings that I break, even though I string my own with my old school Serrano stringin machine)......

What are your thoughts on the racquet(s) I should be looking at.....I'm scared of the 100 sq. in of the babolats......I was never able to hit with the 110 prince's ........I don't want to go to a 90 since I'm old.....have since torn my ACL and can't really move that well any more so I'm pretty comfortable with a 95......

any advice would be apprecated....

thanks,

me is bored
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
APDC ftw!!!

anirut
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
For your (our?) age, I'd suggest something easy on the arm like the PK Kinetic/Ionic series. The spec says 100 sq.in. but they're actually around 98.

Give it a demo.

eman70
09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm 42....don't and never have had any arm issues.....knock on wood....

my biggest issue is my left knee which is pretty unstable....I'm trying to find a defiance donjoy knee brace on **** to help with that however....

I'll reasearch the pk stuff.....never heard of it....

eman70
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh...you mean kennex.....messed around with a kennex "silver ace?" a LONG time ago...didn't like it, but I'll do some research....

anirut
09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, the SilverAce was a real noodle. I'm using the Redondo, no-nonsense 100% graphite like our "old days". Great stuff.

I'm not surprised you're using the term Kennex. That was the "actual" name when they started, wasn't it?

I'm also 42.

eman70
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
right kennex....

I started with a:

donnay Borg (I liked Borg)
used the original Wilson Ultra
used the Rossignol F-200 (??) liked Wilander....
sponsored by prince in college....used the comp, graphite both 110 then ended up with the graphite 90.....NEVER liked prince....
I believe late college or right after settled on the wilson ultra fpk 95...probably played my best tennis with that racquet.....

I just don't know what to even consider.....there are so many choices.....access to demo's is limited....I know Tennis Warehouse lets you demo although I hate to pay to demo....I may have to pick out some rackets to hit with....

anirut
09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Too bad the PK Core 1 #6 is out of TW. That's one beautiful 95 head racket. The feel is unmatched. It's graphite with wood core.

I haven't played the FPK though so I don't know what it's like.

But, yes, I started with the Donnay Allwood and have played the F200G. I still love playing the Head Graphite TXE (successor to the graphite edge).

BTW, there's a thread for us 40+ players. It's been pushed out some where.

fuzz nation
09-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Welcome back - you can call me "Junior" (I'm only 41 'til Jan.).

The landscape has changed a bit in the racquet world, but you sound like you have preferences that I'm familiar with. One thing that's been quite helpful for me has been keeping a postal scale handy so that I know how the weight of one frame compares to another, but it's also really handy as an at home stringer if you want to do any tuning, etc.

I've been trying to get away from my Prostaff 6.1 Classics (heavy, headlight, and stiff) toward something more flexible in recent years. I've used 12+ oz. racquets for too long to be comfortable with lighter ones, but the specific "feel" among different frames with more flex can vary big time. One may feel crisp, yet subdued, while another may have the unsettling personality of a wet noodle. For me though, these frames with more flex give me access to more control and spin.

A couple that I'm really curious about are the Fischer M Speed #1 (though it's discontinued), the new Donnay Pro One midplus, and the Wilson nBlade. If you need outrageous spin, you may want to check into the Head Flexpoint Radical Tour even though I think it's a 100 sq. in. head. The demo program at TW is easily one of the best things going... good luck!

tbini87
09-25-2007, 10:50 AM
might want to check out the yonex rdsoo1 or rqis, and some of the tecnifibre racquets.