PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.0 95 tension range 50-60?

luv2volley
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Hello PS 6.0 95 owners,
I just received the second PS 60 95 for backup. However, even thought they are both 95 sq in, the tension shows 50-60 lbs instead of 55-65 lbs as the other one. Should it be a concern? Thanks for the help.

BreakPoint
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
No concern at all. Wilson changed the tension range on the ProStaffs now and then. Some 85's even had ranges as high as 60-70.

luv2volley
09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
No concern at all. Wilson changed the tension range on the ProStaffs now and then. Some 85's even had ranges as high as 60-70.

So 55 lbs for the lower range( 50-60lbs) should be the same as 60lbs for the higher tension range (55-65lbs)?

Also, Thanks BP for the information to get the AK90.

BreakPoint
09-24-2007, 11:34 PM
So 55 lbs for the lower range( 50-60lbs) should be the same as 60lbs for the higher tension range (55-65lbs)?

Also, Thanks BP for the information to get the AK90.
No, it means ignore the range and string it at what you usually string it at. They are the same exact racquet, so it does not mean that one racquet will play any differently at a certain tension than the other racquet. They should both play the same at the same tension.

You're welcome about the AK90 info.

ananda
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
No, it means ignore the range and string it at what you usually string it at. They are the same exact racquet, so it does not mean that one racquet will play any differently at a certain tension than the other racquet. They should both play the same at the same tension.

BP, i am a little confused here. First you said that Wilson often changes the range. Now you say the racks will play the same at the same tension. Could you explain this.

if i had bought a PS 85 (or any other rack) which said 60-70, and lets say i am used to playing loose tension (low end of range) i would string it at 60.
If i go by what you said later and i am used to 55, i may now be stringing less than the range (since i now ignore the range).

if the rack is the same, then is it an error? what has changed in the rack due to which the range has changed.

BreakPoint
09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
BP, i am a little confused here. First you said that Wilson often changes the range. Now you say the racks will play the same at the same tension. Could you explain this.

if i had bought a PS 85 (or any other rack) which said 60-70, and lets say i am used to playing loose tension (low end of range) i would string it at 60.
If i go by what you said later and i am used to 55, i may now be stringing less than the range (since i now ignore the range).

if the rack is the same, then is it an error? what has changed in the rack due to which the range has changed.
Wilson changed the range, they did not change the racquet. The range is essentially meaningless. If you normally string at 55lbs, then you should continue to string at 55lbs regardless of what the tension range says because it's still the same racquet. A tension of 55lbs will feel the same on both racquets. If you change your tension, the racquet will play differently. That's why I said you should just ignore the tension range as it's pretty much arbitrary, and at most, just a suggestion anyway which means you don't have to abide by it. Sampras strung his PS 6.0 85 at 75lbs and Federer strings his K90 at 47lbs. Both are outside of their respective "recommended tension ranges", but the last I heard, they both play pretty well with their racquets. :D

Other than being pretty arbitrary, another reason for the changes in recommended tension ranges over the years is that stringing machines today are much more accurate than the older machines 25 years ago. So an old machine might pull to and show 70lbs. but the net result is only 60lbs. Also, 25 years ago, natural gut was much more widely used and gut needs to be strung tighter than poly. With the popularity of poly strings today, recommended tension ranges have been dropping. So my advice is to just ignore the range and string at whatever feels the best to you (within reason, i.e., not 90 lbs.)

goosala
09-25-2007, 04:50 AM
The tension range on the Pro Staff line is too low. I usually string 10 lbs. over tension range for my Tour 90, K90, and 6.1 95.

Keifers
09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I've found 62 lbs is optimum in my 6.0 95 (Wilson Reaction 16).

luv2volley
09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I've found 62 lbs is optimum in my 6.0 95 (Wilson Reaction 16).

That's also about the range I prefer for my 95/98 sq inch racquets. I have the Pro Hurrican for 62lbs on one and Babolat Conquest at 61lbs on another. I will pick them up this afternoon.