PDA

View Full Version : Worthy update from a Hybrid Hornet Oversize?

Damo_747
09-25-2007, 03:26 AM
I am considering a new racquet to replace the Prince Hybrid Hornet Oversize. The Hornet has been a fantastic racquet and it has dramatically improved my enjoyment of the game, but I really feel like I could benefit from a racquet with more weight. I would love some suggestions.

I am 41 years old and have long, fast swings and I hit with a lot of topspin (semi-western forehand and single handed backhand with an eastern grip). I play mainly from the baseline.

For most of my years of playing I have used cheap racquets with no particular thought to strings and tension, but since I've used the Hybrid Hornet I have taken a real interest in the technology and also the playing characteristics of the various stings. The big thing for me is control. I like to be able to really go for the ball with a full swing and still have the confidence that it will go in.

I was thinking about trying the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus or the Fischer MSpeed Pro1 Lt.MP. They are both reasonably priced ($99 for the Volkl and $65 for the Fischer as a liquidation demo). They both seem to get good reviews and would both be a heavier racquet than the Hybrid Hornet. The other I was considering was the Prince Diablo. I would really appreciate some advice (demoing is not practical for me - I live in regional Queensland in Australia)

thanks

Damo

topsltennis
09-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Not sure what you would like. I too have played with the Hybrid Hornet OS for the past two years and like it quite a bit. I string mine very tight at 72 lbs.- I found that at lower tensions the racquet felt "mushy". We also seem to play similar games. I'd stick with what's working if it were me.

ollinger
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Racquets you mention would be an almost two ounce increase from Hornet Oversize. Quite a leap, mate.

cknobman
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Racquets you mention would be an almost two ounce increase from Hornet Oversize. Quite a leap, mate.

Exactly I didnt think that an ounce or two made that big of a difference until I made the mistak of buying a heavy frame. I played witha O3 white 11.3oz and moved to a Kfactor 95 12.4 oz. I felt it all over my body - arm, back, shoulder, elbow. I played witht the kfactor for about 3 months before I had to get rid of it because of sore muscles and a growing tennis elbow problem. Moved back down to a Prince Speedport Black 11.4oz and all is fine now - no more tennis elbow or sore muscles. If you do move up in weight I would not go more than 1 oz at a time because it makes a much larger difference than you would expect.