PDA

View Full Version : Racquet with "pop"

SBGirl
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I am a beginner and just wondering about the word "pop" in reference to racquets. What exactly does it mean when one racquet has pop compared to another? Does it mean you don't need to put out as much effort to get the same results? Does it just mean it's more powerful? Knowing what it means would make reading these posts more meaningful for me. No, I'm not buying a new racquet just yet - I'm borrowing one from a friend while I learn, but I'd still like to learn what I can from some of the TW forums.

Thanks!

mclee025
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
More pop means just what you were thinking. It just means the racquet has more power which means the racquet requires less effort in hitting the ball. Of course there is the con part of this equation. That is, more pop, typically means less control.

As a beginner, having a racquet that has a little more power makes playing the game a little easier to get the ball back over the net. As your technique improves, you'll naturally get more power in your strokes where you won't necessarily need the racquet to do as much of the work for you.

You also have some control over the racquets "pop" level by the type of strings you string the racquet with and how tight you string it. In general, if you string a racquet looser, it will be more powerful.

TW has a great resource for learning about tennis at this link:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html

SBGirl
09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
mclee025: Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I will check out the learning center and I do appreciate your thoughtful explanation. It will give me things to think about during my lessons!

mclee025
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Welcome to tennis. It's a great lifelong game. And you are more than welcome for the reply as it's my pleasure. Good luck with your lessons! :)