PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Istanbul/ Constantinople?

max
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
. . . Just curious. Sounds like an interesting place.

maneater
09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Constantinopoli thank you very much ;)

caesar66
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I wanted to go to istanbul, but now its constantinople. ;)

Dedans Penthouse
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Get vaccinated before you go to Turkey to prevent getting L-Tryptophan.

That or stock some No-Doze in your bags.

maneater
09-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmm...I think i should remain mute in this thread...being Greek and all....i must bite my tounge....VERY VERY HARD!

J-man
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Didn't know anyone actually called Istanbul Constantinople still, lol.

lonestar
09-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Get vaccinated before you go to Turkey to prevent getting L-Tryptophan.

That or stock some No-Doze in your bags.

Bullsh*t! Istanbul is completely different from rural Turkey. Can't compare.

Istanbul rocks! One of the hottest cities in Europe IMO. It is full of tension (in a positive way) i.e. east meets west, tradition meets progress, amazing clubs, nice food.

Highly recommended.

phoony
09-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Famous and popular soccer teams - Fenebahce and Galatasaray :D

slice bh compliment
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Hmm...I think i should remain mute in this thread...being Greek and all....i must bite my tounge....VERY VERY HARD!
No, no, no....say it. This is an internet forum. Be hoonest...be yourself!;) You are doing the rest of us an injustice by holding back.

Phil
09-27-2007, 12:33 AM
No, no, no....say it. This is an internet forum. Be hoonest...be yourself!;) You are doing the rest of us an injustice by holding back.
To say it would make this person sound foolish-a good reason for holding back.

Dedans Penthouse
09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Bullsh*t! Istanbul is completely different from rural Turkey. Can't compare.

Istanbul rocks! One of the hottest cities in Europe IMO. It is full of tension (in a positive way) i.e. east meets west, tradition meets progress, amazing clubs, nice food.

Highly recommended.Lonestar, not a flame but I'm sorry you didn't get it; the L-Triptophan reference it was just a "turkey" joke/pun per se. :neutral:

.... that said, I do get a little leary reading Turkey's "quiet" overtures to the EU: "let us into the EU ... or who knows what the 'fallout' might be?..." ..... not to mention their human rights "traditions" regards.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
09-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I always loved traveling to Istanbul and Turkey in general and for hols it's fairly cheap to fly there from Germany, as of course there is a lot of visitors/family going back and forth. Nightlife is rocking but you do have to be more careful in some ways if you have ladies with you because it is a Muslim majority country, and get away from the tourist spots, if you're going research some friends or guides who can take to the places regular Turks. Don't miss seeing a good belly dance performance either. Always love that.

Overall I liked the history best, beautiful building and really just a crazy feel to the air of old and new that a number of central Asian (or they say part European) places have. Traffic is bad, wouldn't suggest driving in the least, but public transport is alright, taxis. Pickpockets are about especially tourist popular areas but that's normal most large cities.

"I am Listening to Istanbul"

I am listening to Istanbul, intent, my eyes closed.
The Grand Bazaar is serene and cool,
A hubbub at the hub of the market,
Mosque yards are brimful of pigeons,
At the docks while hammers bang and clang
Spring winds bear the smell of sweat;
Now a dainty girl walks by on the sidewalk:
Cusswords, tunes and songs, malapert remarks;
Something falls on the ground out of her hand,
It's a rose I guess.

Orhan Veli, A Turkish poet, absolutely wonderful describing how it feels to walk past the Grand Bazaar, to watch people, sights, sounds, scents and tastes...There's much more to that poem, and his other works as well..

malakas
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I plan to go there this summer.Along with Tsesme,Kallipolis and perhaps Angara.
But really Constantinople deserves a trip if nothing else only for the food.:)

max
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, I like the old buildings, the Hagia Sophia and so forth. I've got an old Martin Hurlimann picture book of the city.

It's quirky, but to me, Istanbul feels farther away than Constantinople. Also, i read about two years ago I think, a nice history of the Byzantine empire.

lonestar
09-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Lonestar, not a flame but I'm sorry you didn't get it; the L-Triptophan reference it was just a "turkey" joke/pun per se. :neutral:

You're right I didn't get it! :-D

Dedans Penthouse
09-28-2007, 07:50 AM
I plan to go there this summer.Along with Tsesme,Kallipolis and perhaps Angara.
But really Constantinople deserves a trip if nothing else only for the food.:)malakas, don't forget you manners when in Turkey--don't forget to "burp!" at the end of your meal.
:o~"burp!"

Someone please confrim that there AREN'T any Starbucks in Turkey? :-)

maneater
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Ayia Sophia is OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry i have zero respect for them and i'll scrreeeww if idiot EU ever let them in! We ( the greeks ) have preserved their mosques out of respect of it being a place of worship...even though we are christians! If you see what they have done to our churches... theyve turned them into stables and shovel donkey Shiiit in there...so respectful...! Arghh!! Anyway Agia sophia, library of ephisus and all the other nice ancient buildings you see in " istanbul since 1543" Its all ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Dark_Knight
09-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Oh Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

cghipp
09-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Dark Knight, you stole my joke! I was going to say, "That's nobody's business but the Turks."

Loved Dedan's post.

The_Dark_Knight
09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Dark Knight, you stole my joke! I was going to say, "That's nobody's business but the Turks."

Loved Dedan's post.

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.

Phil
09-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Ayia Sophia is OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry i have zero respect for them and i'll scrreeeww if idiot EU ever let them in! We ( the greeks ) have preserved their mosques out of respect of it being a place of worship...even though we are christians! If you see what they have done to our churches... theyve turned them into stables and shovel donkey Shiiit in there...so respectful...! Arghh!! Anyway Agia sophia, library of ephisus and all the other nice ancient buildings you see in " istanbul since 1543" Its all ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Correction, it WAS yours, but the Byzantine empire was too weak to hold it. I suppose Mexico likes to think that a large part of the western USA is still "theirs" too. And some Muslims still think that they should occupy Southern Spain. History knows better. Live with it.

slice bh compliment
09-29-2007, 03:46 AM
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.

Yeah, from the start, this thread was a They Might Be Giants joke waiting to drop.
Good song, and so was Birdhouse in Your Soul. Anyone heard their seminal album, Here Come The ABC's? There's a song on there called E Eats Everything. Funky, funny, quirky and very well-crafted.

My son used to think they were 'The Kindly Giants' a few years ago when we first got the cd and dvd. Now that he's all hip and into guitar, he likes to call them, ''They Might Be Musicians''.

Anyway, maneater, thanks for your perspective.

malakas
09-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Correction, it WAS yours, but the Byzantine empire was too weak to hold it. I suppose Mexico likes to think that a large part of the western USA is still "theirs" too. And some Muslims still think that they should occupy Southern Spain. History knows better. Live with it.

Not quite right analogy.
It's quite different discussion about land,soil and air and quite different about wonders,and marvels of one civilization.No matter who owns the land it's built on,it still a creation of the Byzantine Empire.So it will never be .."theirs" .
malakas, don't forget you manners when in Turkey--don't forget to "burp!" at the end of your meal.
:o~"burp!"

Someone please confrim that there AREN'T any Starbucks in Turkey?

can't wait to .."burp" in Turkey!http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/doener_smiley.gif http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/hungry.gif

maneater
09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Well said Malaka!

Phil
09-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Not quite right analogy.
It's quite different discussion about land,soil and air and quite different about wonders,and marvels of one civilization.No matter who owns the land it's built on,it still a creation of the Byzantine Empire.So it will never be .."theirs" .
The Turks might disagree with you, but that's a nice way to rationalize it-I'm sure that many citizens of countries that have had parts of their "empire" taken over by other countries, look at it in a similar way. Whatever helps you to accept the inevitability of history...

malakas
09-29-2007, 04:27 PM
The Turks might disagree with you, but that's a nice way to rationalize it-I'm sure that many citizens of countries that have had parts of their "empire" taken over by other countries, look at it in a similar way. Whatever helps you to accept the inevitability of history...

I don't have any problem to accept the inevitability of history.I didn't say Constantinople was Greek or Byzantine.I said that Hagia Sophia is a Byzantine marvel and never a turkish.

Phil
09-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't have any problem to accept the inevitability of history.I didn't say Constantinople was Greek or Byzantine.I said that Hagia Sophia is a Byzantine marvel and never a turkish.
Of course...no one said it wasn't. And the Pyramids are an Egyptian marvel and Hadrian's Wall is also pretty cool...no one is going to mistake who built them, even if the builders no longer occupy those countries or can lay physical claim to those marvels.